So I went to the lady doctor yesterday

Options

Replies

• Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My lady doctor complemented me the last time I went to see her! Of course she has been my DR for over 20 years now!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My gyno usually mentions my weight, but she is very sweet so it never offends me. I went in the beginning of December and brought it up before she did. I had gained 21 pounds in a year and she wanted me to change the way I eat. We talked about it and that's when I stopped eating certain things. I had already been on here watching my calories but that appointment helped a lot to kick start where I'm at now. I don't have a regular doctor either, just the medicaid for women so she is my go to now if I need help. I always go up to the clinic and use their scale, I love the ladies in that office!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!

I suffered from pretty severe anorexia a couple times in my life and during the recovery stage of my second time around, I had an appointment with my lady doc. She commented on my weight gain and told me exactly how much I had gained (and because I was so obsessed with numbers, I remembered my weight from the last time I saw her so I knew my exact weight). For someone with a really fragile sense of self-worth that is already based around her weight, this was a no-no. I burst into tears and she continued to make me feel terrible for caring so much about my weight. After that appointment due to a series of stressful events, I became overweight and didn't go back to her because of the hurt/embarrassment about my body.

I found a new lady doc who is AWESOME. Also, he is a man which I was nervous about at first but he is an amazing support. I've never felt judged about my weight and he always listens. I would say as long as your feeling supported by your lady doc, stick with her. But if you feel like she isn't a support in your health care system, I would try finding a new person. Best wishes!
  • lissie633
    Options
    I avoid going to the Dr's like the plague! everytime I go, for every issue my Dr comments on my weight...In fact 9 times out of 10 my weight is the cause apparently....Bad right knee (after falling on it)....not hurting because i fell, only coz im overweight, Throat infection, coz im overweight, uti...yup coz im over weight! The Dr's at my surgery seem to have 2 answers, "its a virus" and "its because your overweight" In fact one dr was so rude I left cryin, she told me it was no excuse to be overweight and she was a told *kitten*! So if I went to the Drs and they didnt mention weight at all I would be happy personally, however if i had one dr that i saw all the time and they didnt mention the weight loss i think I would feel a little disappointed
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everytime i go to the doctor for anything and i mean ANYTHING, even if i had a flu they blame my weight, ever since i was 175 lbs they have not stopped teeling me im obese, but they have never tried to help me lose it...oh wait no, once my doctor said eat less sugar and exercise more, then gave me one of those get your 5 a day leaflets and told me to come back in 2 months

recently i had a virus and one of the first things they said was "you havent lost weight yet" like that was the cause for my virus, it wasnt the cause btw!

needless to say they are useless arseholes
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a new Nurse Practitioner, and the whole reason I've started MFP is to be a healthy example for my patients and my daughters! I had an ob doc never say a word about weight gain and one who rode my butt about weight gain, I appreciate the one who rode my butt WAY more!!! she was concerned about my health and not worried bout offending me! I think some docs dont want to upset patients, I hope as an NP I am able to serve my patients way better! I am proud of anyone who makes a choice to better themselves!:smile:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    GYNECOLOGIST!!!

Not a lady doctor.

For the love of god, people!!!!!!!!!! :noway:
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just had my appt just before getting started on MFP. It was a new lady. She is a midwife (i intend to get pregnant in the next couple years so wanted a new OB). She was really nice, didn't make any negative comments at all. She didn't ask about my wieght, but through conversation eased me into talking about it. She was nice, supportive, and recommended a site like this. I told her I was already looking at MFP and she was happy about that. She actually talked to me for about 45 minutes of my whole 1hr appt before doing the pap. So nice to actually talk without having them "dive right into business."
  • pretty_ribbons
    Options
    I avoid going to the Dr's like the plague! everytime I go, for every issue my Dr comments on my weight...In fact 9 times out of 10 my weight is the cause apparently....Bad right knee (after falling on it)....not hurting because i fell, only coz im overweight, Throat infection, coz im overweight, uti...yup coz im over weight! The Dr's at my surgery seem to have 2 answers, "its a virus" and "its because your overweight" In fact one dr was so rude I left cryin, she told me it was no excuse to be overweight and she was a told *kitten*! So if I went to the Drs and they didnt mention weight at all I would be happy personally, however if i had one dr that i saw all the time and they didnt mention the weight loss i think I would feel a little disappointed

OMG! i thought it was just me! :noway:
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My doctor is awesome. She is nothing but encouraging to me. She says I am more concerned about my weight than she is. She says I am 100% healthy and that after I'm done with my second degree she will worry about my weight, now she is worried about my sleeping enough with School and Work. She even tells me that when she was in medical school she weighed 40lbs more than she does now. I'm super lucky to have her, that is for certain.

Don't fred too much about your Doctor.
  • lissie633
    Options
    Reposted below as i forgot to add the quote :s
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs one year and she told me it wasn't enough. I don't really like her though.
  • lissie633
    Options

LOL, you have to be in the UK, Identical stories, I literally haven't been to the quacks in about a year I guess, I just visit the chemist or self diagnose lol, so far I have had half of whats on wikipedia lol!
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The only doctor I ever see is my GP and very rarely more than once every six months for a check up for ym contraceptive pill.
    She has made a few comments before but never anything major as I was always quite fit and healthy (not completely obviously) for my weight. I am due to see her in around 3 months and I am praying she says something to me!

I used to go to a family planning clinic for my pills once every three months and the nurse there was so rude about my weight that I never went back.

I think doctor's are worried about offending patients and how they can comment without being rude.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options

LOL, you have to be in the UK, Identical stories, I literally haven't been to the quacks in about a year I guess, I just visit the chemist or self diagnose lol, so far I have had half of whats on wikipedia lol!

Definitely in the UK. My old doctor used to do exactly this, then ballooned himself! I refuse to see him now, and see the othr doctor at the same practise as she is helpful with her comments, rather than downright rude and insulting!
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lady doctor. All my doctors are men.
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gyn, my GP does all my yearly stuff and she only talks about weight if I bring it up. However, the 2 endocrinologists, 2 neurologists and the opthamologist I've seen have all mentioned my weight. So I think it varies.
    It would be nice to get a "well done!" from the doctor after extreme weight loss, but I think they are too busy and too focused on the reason you go in.
  • pretty_ribbons
    Options

yup London, the NHS is a load of bullocks (excuse my french)
    yes i google most things and try and figure it out myself unless im near death like when i had pneumonia lol

other wise they just tell you your fat and give you paracetamol for pain or penecilin for infection :huh:
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have never had any of my docs say anything about my weight. not when i was at my max or when i dropped to my lowest where i was dangeresly close to the too skinny range.

i have had a nurse comment on my legs back in the day when i ran 30 mins a day everyday rain or shine. but that was just "runners always have nice legs"
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I went to and when I got home, I told him the docotr said I had a TIGHT BOX, he asked " Well did he say anything about your BIG AS*...My response " HE DIDNT MENTION YOUR NAME THE WHOLE TIME I WAS THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!