Is pasta really that bad??

Options
I've been eating cold whole wheat pasta for lunch with lettuce. I was wondering if I would be better off weight loss wise if I didn't eat pasta but an alternative. I cannot eat just salad though as I find it boring so end up wanting more.

Replies

• formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eat the pasta. It's good for you.
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It how much pasta you eat not that you are even eating it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No it's not bad unless you over eat....like anything else
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    calories in calories out.
    That answers a lot of questions relating to what's okay and not okay to eat.

If it fits eat it. I love pasta in the beginning I ate lots and lots of it. I've lost quite a bit of weight so I wouldn't think it really is that bad.
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat more than 60g of pasta and only for lunch because of the carb. When I started my diet I stopped eating carbs for dinner and I think it helped a lot with losing weight (I'm down 20kg)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I love pasta, whole wheat is great. Remember moderation and that your on a journey to a new lifestyle and healthier you. I wouldn't eat it every day though.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Pasta is LOADED with carbs!!! I usually eat it before a very long run (over 11 miles) because its got a lot of stored up energy and your body does not have to work too hard to break it down into raw energy.

If you are not a runner or someone who does a TON of cadio - then I would not eat it very often.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta every week and haven't had any issues with it!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating pasta, just try to stick to portion sizes. Have you tried any of the whole wheat variety?? :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been eating cold whole wheat pasta for lunch with lettuce. I was wondering if I would be better off weight loss wise if I didn't eat pasta but an alternative. I cannot eat just salad though as I find it boring so end up wanting more.
    I ceased breads, pasta and all sweets on any day but "free day", because they add so many calories so fast.

It's a personal choice.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner or someone who does a TON of cadio - then I would not eat it very often.

I disagree. Different people process carbs in different ways. Some are more carb sensitive than others. I can easily eat pasta, bread, and whatever else is carb laden in moderation and have lost weight (and kept it off) just fine.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have it twice a week on average. Big bowls, I just gotta have it.

So on those days I make sure to burn some cals. That's really all you need to do. There is no such thing as a "bad" food. Just find a way to fit it into your plan.

Tonight is chicken parm night. My favorite!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have it twice a week on average. Big bowls, I just gotta have it.

So on those days I make sure to burn some cals. That's really all you need to do. There is no such thing as a "bad" food. Just find a way to fit it into your plan.

Tonight is chicken parm night. My favorite!

Love that :) exactly what I was thinking,,,, just find a way to fit it in! It is all about balance
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to always having whole wheat noodles, I find brown rice noodles to be super tasty and good for you. I agree that its all in moderation. Its so easy to over eat any kind of pasta. If you look for the serving size on the back of the box its usually like a 1/2 cup. I can probably eat like 3 cups cooked. So I make sure I just cook one serving at a time to avoid over eating :)
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options

I disagree. Different people process carbs in different ways. Some are more carb sensitive than others. I can easily eat pasta, bread, and whatever else is carb laden in moderation and have lost weight (and kept it off) just fine.

What I mean is - I would not eat it OFTEN due to the high calorie, high carb content of it. Punch in "Pasta" into MFP. A bowl of it is around 800 calories. Not something you should eat too much of if your looking to lose weight. I also know people who can down ice cream, eat chips/queso and Mexican food, hamburgers, and a ton of other things and still remain thin. A majority of people are not like that.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

What I mean is - I would not eat it OFTEN due to the high calorie, high carb content of it. Punch in "Pasta" into MFP. A bowl of it is around 800 calories. Not something you should eat too much of if your looking to lose weight. I also know people who can down ice cream, eat chips/queso and Mexican food, hamburgers, and a ton of other things and still remain thin. A majority of people are not like that.

umm one serving of pasta is 190-210 calories. Load it up with lean protein and lots of veggies and you can have a low calorie dish.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

If it fits in with your calories and macros then there is no reason to not eat it. Just watch your portions.

I am a huge supporter in not cutting things out of your diet. If you like pasta, then have it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How does it make you feel when you eat it? Full of energy and ready to workout, or sleepy and lethargic? Aside from putting my calories into MFP, I tend to use that as my yardstick for what foods to eat. Pasta gives me energy, so do cheeseburgers. Hot dogs, even Hebrew National (guaranteed not to be mystery meat) don't give me much energy, so I'm trying to avoid eating those. Eggs are kind of an in between for me. I think it will vary by person, so pay attention to how what you eat makes you feel.

My mother used to tell me that all the time, and did I listen? Nooooo! Someday I'll admit to her that she was right.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

A serving of pasta is only about 200 calories (give or take depending on brand). I make a wonderful baked chicken parm with spaghetti and STILL can fit in a salad (and maybe garlic bread depending on the rest of my day). Pasta can be used in low calorie meals just find. Just watch your portions!
  • mckaret
    mckaret Posts: 16
    Options
    They key to weight loss is calories. Just watch your calories. However, all calories are not created equal. Protein rich calories take longer to burn and fill you up longer. Carb rich calories raise blood sugar which also causes more cravings and do not burn as fast. If you are very hungry, try a protein rich lunch tomorrow with some cheese and you will see that you will not be as hungry either. Pasta is great, don't worry, it's just a matter of how many calories you take in. I LOVE pasta but I try to limit it because I know that it doesn't make me as full. Good luck!:flowerforyou: Christa