Is pasta really that bad??

Options

Replies

• Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your carb allowance what's the problem?
    I have mine with mozzarella, plum tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, spinach & basil - all weighed and calories counted.
    Pasta isn't bad it's the relationship you have with pasta that could be bad i.e Over eating it.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, why did I read this. Now I want a HUGE bowl of pasta loaded with olive oil, veggies, garlic, olives, pepper and lemon. Well, I did just start my day and it would be a great way to get some veggies in. I hope the person who said that angel hair pasta will look like more is right. I'm going to go shopping for lunch right now!

OP, as the others are saying, pasta itself is not bad but portion control is key. Pasta for some reason absolutely does not fill me up and even tends to trigger my appetite. I could easily eat 300 grams of it and still be hungry. That's like 1100 calories pasta alone.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on a low-carb diet, if it fits into your macros and calories then there's no reason not to eat it. Of course the portion and what you eat it with will dramatically affect how healthy the whole meal is. Eating whole wheat will also make you feel fuller for longer. But if it's working for you then there's no reason to listen to people that say it's 'bad' for them. I eat pasta all the time and did when I was losing weight without a problem. We're all different :smile:
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been eating cold whole wheat pasta for lunch with lettuce. I was wondering if I would be better off weight loss wise if I didn't eat pasta but an alternative. I cannot eat just salad though as I find it boring so end up wanting more.

Pasta is delicious. Eat it.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat a generous bowl of pasta with fresh veg as often as I can (2-4 nights a week). No sauce, cheese, olive oil, etc, just pasta & veg (mushrooms, radish, courgette & spinach, mostly), flavoured with garlic & pepper. I would have to revaluate my entire diet if I suddenly started gaining weight because of it because it’s my favourite and I base my food shopping around how much of it I plan to eat during the week.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, why did I read this. Now I want a HUGE bowl of pasta loaded with olive oil, veggies, garlic, olives, pepper and lemon. Well, I did just start my day and it would be a great way to get some veggies in. I hope the person who said that angel hair pasta will look like more is right. I'm going to go shopping for lunch right now!

It is 4AM here, I'm reading this thread now too and I suddenly feel the same. I'm thinking the veggies are grilled, like some zucchini, peppers, maybe some tomato slices, and broccoli drizzled in olive oil and some romano cheese sprinkled over it.

Ack!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Pasta is carbs, and carbs give you energy!!! Just what you need!

Eat it - I would say watch your portion size with pasta, I can easily over eat pasta!!

Either plate up a small bowl or measure before hand!!

Tuna, Sweetcorn, salad pasta is always yum!

Yesterday I had pasta with a massive big salad, lots of tomatoes, sliced chicken, cucumber, olives etc - So yum and filling! Throw in some eggs for extra protein
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    For people (and there are a few of them) with an intolerance to wheat then yes pasta is bad.

For people without an intolerance then pasta is not bad.

From a simple weight loss point if view, if you are eating in a deficit then it will make now difference if you eat pasta or not.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options

It is 4AM here, I'm reading this thread now too and I suddenly feel the same. I'm thinking the veggies are grilled, like some zucchini, peppers, maybe some tomato slices, and broccoli drizzled in olive oil and some romano cheese sprinkled over it.

Ack!

YES!! All of it. Pasta, it's what's for breakfast. :wink:
  • powerpigeon
    powerpigeon Posts: 46
    Options
    Listen to your body. Does that pasta sit like a brick in your stomach and make you want to take a nap? Then yes, it's bad. But if you feel full, but not uncomfortable, and awake, then you're probably fine.
    Measure a portion carefully, and double check if the calories you think it is is for dry or cooked weight. I've been caught that way; measured 100g dry pasta, and added in cals for 100g cooked pasta - not the same!
    If you're really worried, you could try an alternative like cous-cous or quinoa, or brown or wild rice. Don't cut out pasta unless it disagrees with you, but maybe mix it up a bit with other options. If nothing else, it'll stop you getting bored of your lunches.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Does that pasta sit like a brick in your stomach and make you want to take a nap? Then yes, it's bad. But if you feel full, but not uncomfortable, and awake, then you're probably fine.
    Measure a portion carefully, and double check if the calories you think it is is for dry or cooked weight. I've been caught that way; measured 100g dry pasta, and added in cals for 100g cooked pasta - not the same!
    If you're really worried, you could try an alternative like cous-cous or quinoa, or brown or wild rice. Don't cut out pasta unless it disagrees with you, but maybe mix it up a bit with other options. If nothing else, it'll stop you getting bored of your lunches.

Cous cous is made of wheat normally just like pasta normally is.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Cous cous is made of wheat normally just like pasta normally is.

Couscous is indeed a form of pasta made from semolina (granules of durum wheat). It is not a grass or pseudograin like rice or quinoa.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How could I avoid to reply, to say that pasta is NOT bad? :)
    I'm italian, we invented pasta :)

Eat it in moderation, 80g, and you will be fine :)

I know that here the majority go for high proteins, I cannot say anything against that, and I don't want, too, I think it's fine, but, for example, the food style known as "Mediterranean diet" has a lot of carbs, and italians are among the less fat in Europe.
    It's all about how much do you eat...

Enjoy your pasta :)
  • laurina73
    laurina73 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm italian too... I have pasta on my diet every day. It depends on which sauce you put on it. 60gr of pasta and tomato sauce, with a a spon of olive oil it's ok (sorry for my terrible english!)
  • annko65
    annko65 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No pasta is not that bad if you eat the whole wheat pasta, like you already do!!

To make it a little less boring try to colour your pasta with roast vegetables, or extra lean mince meat, or low fat cream, garlic and mushrooms....there are thousands of choices....

Try to be creative and as long pasta is not loaded with butter, full fat creams and cheeses it can be a very healthy option.
    You can also try roast or grilled chicken breast, with mushrooms and lots of vegetables.....
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I usually eat whole wheat or whole grain. No way I will EVER give up pasta.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It's your diet so it's your rules - you don't have to give up anything you don't want to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, it tastes good but it's rather calorie dense and will spike your insulin quite dramatically. It's also difficult to eat in a small portion for most people and is usually coupled with fat/and or sugar which is an evil combo for fat loss.

Calorie dense just means watch how much you eat. I don't think it's difficult at all to eat in a small portion, but lots of people just don't know what a real serving size is. It's largely a vehicle for other foods, and there's nothing that says you need to mix it with high fat sauce or lots of cheese or sausage or whatever you are thinking about. Also, putting sugar on pasta just seems weird (I know it's sometimes added in small quantities to tomato sauce and take no responsibility for what might be in jarred sauce, but I make tomato sauce all the time and it's quite healthy and includes no sugar. So is my meat sauce, actually, to which I add vegetables too, and it's also common to eat pasta with just vegetables or just meat (I quite like smoked salmon, but chicken works) sautéed with vegetables. Don't see why eating them with pasta would turn the meal unhealthy if you watch the calories.

On spiking insulin, you just mean bc they are high carb? The glycemic index isn't that high. But in either case, as I say about potatoes, it hardly matters since people don't usually eat just pasta (certainly not people who also have weight issues). Once you add protein and fat, you don't have a high carb meal and the gi is even lower. This is actually why just pasta and lettuce as the OP suggested might not be the best. I'm assuming she's adding some other items too. Now, pasta with spinach and some olive oil and vinegar sounds like a start.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's your diet so it's your rules - you don't have to give up anything you don't want to.
    8a39f1b4b945b4d2dd3a872422b386e483d63f1bbb683ed9a86725aa3e68af73.jpg