How can I feed my family without going over my calories and

Options
I don' t mind eating less and looking for good foods but I find that I'm making two meals every night. One for my husband and I that are supposed to be healthy, and high sodium junk for my kids. I am having a hard time coming up with things that the whole family can eat and I can still stay in my calorie and fat levels. I want to reach my goals and still be able to sit down as a family to a meal. Any good ideas on what I can make without feeding my kids separately? Mostly healthy for you foods are not very kid friendly.

Replies

• susanbritton115
    Options
    i struggle with this same thing. i usually make chicken in a thousand different ways. i will eat it grilled and they eat it breaded. or i make cassarole and one-pot meals that i figure out the calorie count as i make it. they dont know it is lower in calorie.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "...with things that the whole family can eat..."

Do you see what I see?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do the kids know you're using their computer to post on the internet?
  • susanbritton115
    Options
    what does that mean?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So basicly you are feeding your kids unhealthy but you healthy ummmmmm okie dokie
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I've seen this issue discussed in past threads, with lots of great suggestions.

I would suggest trying the "Search" button, just above this thread to look for ideas. Word combinations you could search for include "healthy family recipes" and "kid recipes".

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Why are you feeding your kids food that you describe as "high sodium junk"?

I'm asking this sincerely. You've decided to pursue your health, why aren't you changing their diets at the same time? If you get them used to a healthy diet now, they won't have to learn these lessons later in life.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    So basicly you are feeding your kids unhealthy but you healthy ummmmmm okie dokie

^--- This

Have you ever heard of "The Sneaky Chef"? Maybe that would help at least getting some healthy things into that "High Sodium Junk" you are choosing to feed the kids instead of the Healthy foods you and your husband are eating.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do your kids a favour (they will not thank you until they are 30) and stop feeding them crap "kid food". All food is kid friendlly (except maybe super spicy food). Take this opportunity not to just make yourself healthier but your kids as well. They deserve good health too.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Do the kids know you're using their computer to post on the internet?

:laugh:

I'd just made 1 meal, and then have them try it - you would be surprised the stuff kids will like given the chance. They learn their eating habits from us, so you are the only one who can change their diets full of "high sodium junk". They only eat that way because you give it to them - it could be a hassle at first, but if you are serious about your lifestyle change, they will adapt and probably surprise you. They won't starve to death if they don't like what is for dinner - I promise they'll eventually start trying different foods. In my house, you can eat all of what I made, some of what I made, or none of what I made - I don't believe in hunger being a punishment, so a piece of fruit or some fresh veges is the other option, but I don't cook two meals. We eventually want our kids to be healthy adults who can make responsible food decisions - it starts in the childhood home - fed junk now, that's probably what they'll still be eating 20 years from now.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How about your kids eat what you and your husband eat and if they don't like it they can fix their own stuff.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Why are you feeding your kids food that you describe as "high sodium junk"?

I'm asking this sincerely. You've decided to pursue your health, why aren't you changing their diets at the same time? If you get them used to a healthy diet now, they won't have to learn these lessons later in life.
    I would imagine that it's because the kids are dictating what they eat, rather than the parents.

There are lots of great ideas out there regrading healthy meals that appeal to kids out there. Do your homework using the search function here, or around the web for ideas.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come across as rude, but fix one dinner and that is that.

With 6 kids, I would go crazy fixing a dinner that everyone would like. I make dinner for the family, I work hard on making something nutrtious and delcious.. My children have been told from the time they could understand, that this is dinner. They have to take a "no thank you bite" That is where they politelyy take a bite of food, and if they don't like it, no comments about it, they can then say, "no thank you". They are then able to go get a bowl of cereal to eat for their dinner, bring it to the table and eat with the rest of us.

Make dinner, serve it to them...have them try it...you will be surprised to what they will soon like.

Most meals I make sure I measure my portion out...tonights dinner was whole wheat spaghetti with turkey and beef meetballs, in a semi-homemade sauce. They all enjoyed it and I just made sure I ate a proper portion....

Good luck with the chnage...the kids will probably resist it at first...but in the long run they will enjoy it.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you should eat healthy but not your family? I mean you even called it junk. Why feed the kids and hubs junk?
  • skinnyjess15
    Options
    There is a rule in my house and has always been: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Either you eat what I make or you go hungry. They can make a healthy sandwich if they'd like, but usually they'll pout and eat what I've made. I don't have the money to be making special meals for people. I cook healthy for the entire family.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come across as rude, but fix one dinner and that is that.

With 6 kids, I would go crazy fixing a dinner that everyone would like. I make dinner for the family, I work hard on making something nutrtious and delcious.. My children have been told from the time they could understand, that this is dinner. They have to take a "no thank you bite" That is where they politley take a bite of food, and without commnet can then say, no thank you. They are then able to go get a bowl of cereal to eat for their dinner, bring it to the table and eat with the rest of us.

Make dinner, serve it to them...have them try it...you will be surprised to what they will soon like.

Most meals I make sure I measure my portion out...tonights dinner was whole wheat spaghetti with turkey and beef meetballs, in a semi-homemade sauce. They all enjoyed it and I just made sure I ate a proper portion....

Good luck with the chnage...the kids will probably resist it at first...but in the long run they will enjoy it.

I totally agree. When I started changing my eating habits the family had to come along with me because I make all the food. My kids, I just have two boys, are both told they need to take one, maybe two bites to try it and then they can go. We actually don't even give them the cereal option it's this or they can eat at breakfast tomorrow. I know it's hard to be the 'bad guy' with food but I think they will benefit in the long run. Good Luck!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your family deserves to eat healthy. Your children deserve to learn that healthy foods can taste GOOD. Don't feel you are depriving them by making them eat healthy. You are teaching them a lifelong lesson on good, nutirtious food.

Your "diet" should be a lifestyle change that you will ALWAYS be able to stick with. this also means that it needs to be flexible, otherwise you won't stick with it.

If I do make a side dish high in fat, carb etc, I usually eat half a serving and double my veggies. Also try eating your veggies first, so you fill up on them.

Good luck!
  • bird922
    bird922 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your children will grow accustomed to eating differently. Start by hiding vegetables in your recipes by chopping them up really small. Also if your child likes even one vegetable, always serve them that with others available. Eventually they will get sick of the one they always like and will eat something new. One other thing I found helpful for our family was to find recipes with tons of flavor. Cooking with herbs and spices for my family really helped. I found great recipes on the Real Age website. That also gives you weekly menus with all the nutritional information and is all very healthy with a ton of flavor. Do not make two meals, do serve a delicious meal. Yes, be that hippie kinda mom that always has garlic! It's okay, your children will thank you later. :)
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    You shouldnt cook separate meals for your kids you can all eat the same which i have found the best thing about MFP i didnt have to think what to cook the family when im dieting. Its just about portion control. They can have a pile of pasta you 1 cup you bulk up your vege and salad they get chips as well. a well balanced meal will benefit you all and mums not stressed with cooking multiple meals. And there are lots of great recipes out there and glossy magazines (im a bit addicted to recipes) weight watchers mags and cook book are great you just put the recipe into MFP recipe to get the calories easy peasy..good luck :happy:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You're the parent here. You are in control of what they eat. If you want to eat a healthy dinner, they're eating it too. Problem solved.