How can I feed my family without going over my calories and

Options

Replies

• knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have finally had my "put my foot down" moment in this past year. I usually have very little trouble with my 10 year old, but the 5 year old is crazy demanding and picky about food. He has just recently decided that cheese is too stinky to be food. I am trying to figure out the best course of action, but so far I have tried to "healthify" as many kid friendly meals that I know he likes as possible. He had Hamburger Helper one time out of necessity and loved it, so I now make my own version with lean ground turkey or chicken, 2% cheese, skim milk, higher fiber pasta (like Ronzoni Smart Taste), and I add one healthy vegetable to the mixture. Then we have at least one vegetable on the side. I have been doing a lot of the Sneaky Chef type things, because if he can't see the offending meat or vegetable, everything is fine. I puree and add spinach, carrots, cauliflower, etc. to my spaghetti sauce, and he never suspects a thing. If I do chose to make something that I know there is no way he is going to eat, I make sure that I am serving at least 2 vegetables that he will eat, and I will serve a fruit as a side. After that, he has the option of eating oatmeal.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don' t mind eating less and looking for good foods but I find that I'm making two meals every night. One for my husband and I that are supposed to be healthy, and high sodium junk for my kids. I am having a hard time coming up with things that the whole family can eat and I can still stay in my calorie and fat levels. I want to reach my goals and still be able to sit down as a family to a meal. Any good ideas on what I can make without feeding my kids separately? Mostly healthy for you foods are not very kid friendly.

Harden up - kids should be eating what you tell them to eat! If they don't like it, they can go to bed without dinner - they'll soon learn.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come across as rude, but fix one dinner and that is that.

With 6 kids, I would go crazy fixing a dinner that everyone would like. I make dinner for the family, I work hard on making something nutrtious and delcious.. My children have been told from the time they could understand, that this is dinner. They have to take a "no thank you bite" That is where they politelyy take a bite of food, and if they don't like it, no comments about it, they can then say, "no thank you". They are then able to go get a bowl of cereal to eat for their dinner, bring it to the table and eat with the rest of us.

Make dinner, serve it to them...have them try it...you will be surprised to what they will soon like.

Most meals I make sure I measure my portion out...tonights dinner was whole wheat spaghetti with turkey and beef meetballs, in a semi-homemade sauce. They all enjoyed it and I just made sure I ate a proper portion....

Good luck with the chnage...the kids will probably resist it at first...but in the long run they will enjoy it.

^^This
    I used to have a picky eater on my hands until I put my foot down and said, "you eat what I'm serving to you or you can have cereal or nothing, your choice"...cereal gets old pretty quick!! Now he eats everything I cook!!
  • bjhadden
    bjhadden Posts: 120
    Options
    Okay... the question was how to stop making two meals a night, not pointing the finger at this person telling them they are doing incorrect parenting.

I don't have to worry about children in my home, however my partner is heavily involved in gym and likes to eat lots of carbs and protein for dinner. It is HARD to try and make a combined meal sometimes. Sometimes we will have the same meal i.e. carbonara, but I will only have half the amount he has. I also try and make it a bit healthier by looking for a carbonara jar that is lower in calories or I don't put the whole jar of it in or I add in more veggies. Or else we will have some sort of meat and I will carefully measure mine and give him his usual amount plus veggies or salad... and I give him extra Continential pasta side dishes for him too so he can have his carbs. I feel like you can almost eat the same sorts of meals as your family, just cut it down or make a one or two changes. When we have sausages I give him normal sausages and I have Veggie Sausages.

I hope that helps. I know how demanding children are today and I see the stress that children can put parents through when it comes to food. Trust me --- I see their lunch boxes everyday ---- I am a teacher.

"like"
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    There is a rule in my house and has always been: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Either you eat what I make or you go hungry. They can make a healthy sandwich if they'd like, but usually they'll pout and eat what I've made. I don't have the money to be making special meals for people. I cook healthy for the entire family.

I agree!!
    My kids have learned to eat what I make or go hungry. They are each allowed a couple things they just really dislike that they don't have to eat but they just eat what I make. A big incentive is also that if they don't eat their food, no dessert. And dessert is just a small candy or cookie or ice cream. I don't totally deprive them or anything but make sure the main dish is healthy and at least one veggie, maybe two. I don't cook what I consider to be "weird" food or anything, just normal healthy food and they've eaten it for years and learned to like several things they didn't think they did before. Also, I have them try a small bite of things they don't like just to make sure it's still not on their "like" list.:wink:
  • IndigoMumma
    Options
    I have been in this boat but for me it was often because I find it hard to eat red meat (legacy from pregnancy when the smell of cooking red meat make me ill) and it's not something you ever plan but somehow find you have fallen into it.

I find meal planning a big help and I get my kids to help (they are aged 3 and 2). We sit down on a weekend and they tell me what they like and even though it often ends up being the same thing you can do a variation. For example they like pasta so one night I do a good old spaghetti Bologna with meat and veg, if they see veg they won't eat it so I use a bar mix to blend it all in a bit and they never notice. Another night I might do a lasagna with same sauce. By planning simple easy meals and doing up shopping lists you avoid reaching for those easy to serve things that re aimed at stressed out parents.

You can make healthy swaps like brown rice for white, wholemeal bread for white and vegetable pasta for white.

With anything it takes time and your kids like most kids will probably spend a few nights refusing food all together but once they come to see these foods as regular and normal they get interested. Start small and give it plenty of time. Aim for two or three small changes over a month or so and remember that a child that is hungry will eat eventually.

Best of luck.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I find myself sometimes falling into making more than one meal, but that is usually linked to a food allergy or intolerance. The basic meal is there, usually, and then I tweek the other stuff. One kid is allergic to eggs and most egg products, another is becoming more sensitve to milk only, the other, milk is fine but with other dairy along with wheat upsets his stomach.

I tend to make lots so there's left overs that can be swapped out the next time, sometimes portioned for me, sometimes a plate full or potfull.

I understand the 'tough love' and have said on more than one occasion 'i am not running a restaurant', but even though I have been heavy for years, all 3 of my sons have their father's metabolism, not mine. They are skinny, and from the time they were infants have always been in the 90th or higher percentile for height, and in the 5 - 15th percentile for weight.( My 15.5 year old is 140 pounds and 6 feet tall). Anyway my point to this is that they were so close to being underwieght my doctor always said feed them right, feed them well, then feed them what they will eat! Which of course includes crap!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with others--make one meal. That's dinner, take it or leave it. If the kids refuse to eat it, they won't die from hunger missing a supper or two. They WILL learn the new rules as set forth by MOM! Now, on to some suggestions:

Home made GRILLED chicken nuggets, grilled boneless pork chops, grilled everything. Even Veg. I have a stove top grill pan. Just spray both it and the food with a little cooking spray and the seasonings of your choice and slap that meat on the preheated pan. Not quite as good as grilled outdoors, but still great! How about some turkey burgers? Made from very lean bulk ground turkey? Not preformed? Kids love dang near anything that is on a bun. Chicken sandwich? Split or butterfly thawed chicken breast and season. Grill and they come out tender and moist, not slimy like the fast food 'grilled' chicken. They could have regular burger buns and you could have yours on a sandwich thin with lots of lettuce, tomato and onion, or even green or red peppers. Be creative! You CAN make one dinner and just modify yours slightly to cut some calories. Grilled veggies are really nice. A little cooking spray--the olive oil one is nice and adds a bit of flavor--a little garlic powder and you're good to go.

I hope this helps. Feel free to pm me for other ideas or if you have an specific questions. I'll answer if I can. I'm no expert, I've just been doing this a long time.
  • CLotfy
    CLotfy Posts: 31
    Options
    Strict rule in my house, this is not a restaurant! I cook dinner every night, you eat what I cook or don't eat. It's how I grew up, it's how my kids will grow up. There might be some protesting, there might be some meals not eaten, but they'll get used to it...they have to eat eventually!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do substitutions/adjustments too. I have a picky eater kid and a husband who can eat 4x the calories I eat. Most of the time I make a normal meal, and I either take my portion of whatever out to make it my way, or I take the picky eater's portion out to make it her way.
    Example - Tacos. I use 96% lean ground sirloin. I take out a small portion of the unseasoned meat for my kid because she will not eat taco seasoned meat. I use the low fat shredded Mexican cheese. I control my portions and use loads of leafy green lettuce. Everybody wins on Taco Night.
    Example - Flounder. I put bread crumbs on theirs, I prepare mine in a separate tiny pan with cooking spray and lots of seasonings. I make rice for them and steamed veggies for all of us. I just eat my skinny flounder and double veg. Everybody wins.
    Example - Spaghetti. I use lean meat, Heart Smart spaghetti sauce (extra fiber/reduced sodium). I control my portion. Kid will not eat spaghetti sauce, no big deal. She gets plain noodles, a chunk of cheddar cheese and a single serving of microwaved frozen veg. Easy Peasy.
    Example - Tuna Salad Sandwiches. I make it with loads celery and shredded carrots. I use 1 slice of whole grain toast and eat it open faced. They will not eat anything but white bread. Oh well.

If I don't have a lot of time I do something quick and I don't feel like a short-order cook because it's just tiny adjustments. What matters most to me is that we're eating together, it's MUCH healthier for everyone than it used to be, they are enjoying their food and I'm controlling my portions and staying within my nutrition goals.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused why you think it's okay to feed your kids junk while you eat healthy!

If you don't give your kids the option of eating crap, they will be happy with the healthy (& yummy) things you feed them! Who says healthy food isn't kid friendly!

Browse this website: http://www.skinnytaste.com/

You can't tell me that kids don't like chicken tenders, enchiladas, pasta dishes... the possibilities are endless! As a parent, it is your job to make sure your kids are eating a well balanced, healthy diet!!!
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com

Plenty of family friendly HEALTHY meals/foods on there
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Other things my kids like, that are healthified versions:

burgers. I make burgers at least a couple times a month. Ground turkey, some spicy brown mustard, a little seasoning, and mix it up. Weigh it out in 4 or 6 oz. portions, and then either broil or grill. If you want a cheeseburger, use a quarter slice of American cheese on top. Place on whole wheat bun, and serve it up. My kids like them better than burgers from any restaurant.

Breakfast for supper. Whole wheat pancakes, turkey bacon (and or turkey sausage--I sometimes go vegetarian), whole wheat french toast, berries or melon on the side.

Homemade chicken nuggets: cut up fresh chicken breast. Put 1/4 c. whole wheat flour, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt into a bowl or bag. Mix well. Put some Panko bread crumbs in a bag (about 1/2 c to start; add more if you need it). Have a bowl of either a beaten egg, egg beaters, or egg whites. First, dip the chicken pieces in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs. Bake in oven at 400 for about 20 minutes (check temp; time will vary depending on the size of the nuggets), flip halfway through.

Chicken gravy and rice. I cook (boil or broil) one chicken breast. Shred it, and then use one chicken gravy mix with lots of extra water, add some corn starch to the extra water, add pepper, garlic powder, and a little gravy master. Serve over brown rice, alongside green beans. My kids absolutely love chicken gravy nights. Diluting the gravy reduces the sodium.

Hummus! My kids love hummus! I give them pita chips and hummus or organic blue tortilla chips, and they go to town.

I know there's more...
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating getting your kids to eat sometimes, but it's really important that they learn to like a variety of foods now. Tonight my kids ate hi fiber pasta with rosa sauce and a grilled porkchop. Spinach was offered and I had no takers, so they had a salad. I think it's ok to make a substitution here and there, but the majority of the offered meal needs to be eaten in my home. How else are they to learn how to eat properly if you are not willing to stick to your guns and make them try to eat some new things? I knew the spinach wouldn't work, so I found a healthy alternate that wasn't too much trouble for me to prepare. We all want our kids to eat. Compromise is a good option as long as it's a healthy one!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    My kids dont get a choice. they eat what theyre given or they dont eat. i refuse to cook separate meals for everyone, im not a restaurant.
    i started introducing fruits and veggies early on with my kids - and they love brussels sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, carrots, etc put a home made salad in front of them and its gone in seconds! they both love fish, and all kinds of meat and i dont think ive ever heard them complain about mutli grain or whole wheat pasta. my youngest prefers white rice to brown, but she will still eat brown if thats what we're having.
    they have to eat at least half of what i give them for each dinner, or theyll eat it for breakfast.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In my house, it's what for dinner. You don't like it, you don't eat. Simple...if they get hungry enough, they'll eat it. Eliminate all the junk from the house and get everyone healthy. Teaching good habits now will prevent them from future misery. I also have my daughter help with the preparation, so she likes to help eat what she made.
    Well said..., that's how it was when I was a kid & when my kids were kids. (they are young adults now)

ps: My g'kids have to eat that way when they are here too.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    I have to do the same thing.....I will cussed out by my husband if I give him only a salad!!!!!! LMAO!!!!:ohwell:
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    @Frugalmom.....feeling this recipes you posted.....I'm sooo using them!!!:drinker:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Something that I do ALL the time is to find a recipe that looks good and that I think my 3 kids will like. I then see how I can make it healthier. I don't ever make my kids something different than what we're having.