What do you do when you hit a weight loss plateu?

Options

Replies

• raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated... and then I eat over my calories, and have an extra rest day, and make sure I'm drinking enough water (I'm trying for three quarts a day), and that usually does it.

I changed my calorie goal to a half-pound loss per week, for a few weeks, and then moved it back to one pound, and that seemed to move things a bit, too. Keep your body "guessing" so it can't become "efficient" with what you are giving it.
  • Xtiiinax
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone for all the advice! I decided to take a day off from working out yesterday and went out to Red Lobster and stuffed my face!! I'm going to try bumping my calories up to around 1400 and zig zagging between that and 1200 and seeing how it works out! Maybe my metabolism just needs a little trick like some of you have said since I was starving myself for so long. I really regret doing that to myself but this was my first time dieting and I didn't really look into anything, I pretty much just jumped into it and said, oh well if I stop eating I'll lose weight and went with that!
  • hadirb
    Options
    I have done the Lindora Diet on my own before and it was successful, I gained 10 pounds so I am trying to go on the diet again but its not working this time I lost very few pounds and now I am stuck. I dont know what to do or what to eat as a good diet menu that will help me lose the weight.
    I am 42 years old and 5'1. I need some guidance and help since the Lindora Diet is usually allow you to eat 800 to 900 cal Max a day.
    Please help.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Go here and calculate your BMR and TDEE. Eat between them.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm on a month long plateau, it started when I began strength training, I'm losing inches but the weight will not budge after being so consistent with my weight loss for the past 7 months, it's incredibly frustrating.

But I will keep going because I love strength training and hope that the scale eventually starts moving again soon...
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you wont see results in 4 days... just be patient :)
  • Sakura_Tree
    Options
    oops i posted that on the wrong page
  • Sakura_Tree
    Options
    you wont see results in only4 days be patient
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau. Also, you should be eating the calories MFP tells you to eat plus your exercise calories. It might take a couple of weeks for you to show a loss, though, because you were on too large a deficit before.

Don't give up.

:drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a whole two weeks??!?!?!?!!?!??!?!

-_-

call me when it's a real plateau.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's only two weeks. Chill out.

I've gone 6-8 weeks with no loss before, just remember this isn't a race.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 167-168lbs for 2 weeks...
    *leave thread*
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Open your food journal if you'd like advise

800 calories is not enough and can do damage to your metabolism. It takes longer than 2 weeks for body to respond to changes, and if you have been previously not meeting your nutritional requirements...it may take longer for that scale to move.

Don't give up. You live, you learn!
  • Lucia120382
    Options
    sleep :laugh:
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    change up your workout.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You should realize that anything worth having is worth working hard for.....alllllllll the way until you get there. And then you start working toward the next thing and the next thing and the next thing.

I'm not sure what your goals are, whether it is to improve your body, improve your health, take on an event or just weigh less... but....

You can't start working toward something and a month into it say, 'well this is harder than I thought, so I'm probably going to give up.'

You can't aim for a goal haphazardly without a plan and without knowledge and comprehension of what it will take and expect yourself to make consistent progress, much less reach where you are aiming.

You could save yourself some pain, agony and frustration and learn the best way to go about reaching your goals - THEN settle in with the idea that it is going to take a year. Yes a YEAR - if it takes less- awesome! If it takes more - well, you're YOU - you can totally handle it.

If you are doing the correct workouts to reach your goal, and eating within the proper nutrition and calorie window to be able to handle those workouts and your everyday life, and you still see no changes in measurements, body fat or weight after 3-5 months - THEN you have a real plateau and then you can worry about increasing your intensity or shifting some things around to blow past it.

But this is not a plateau - it is a failure to launch correctly, - which is the easiest thing to fix of all the problems you could have stumbled upon.

Learn.
    Work hard.
    Be patient.
    Keep going....
    Don't stop unless it is for your victory dance.

Decide today that it is going to take a hell of a lot to stop you. You're no weak pushover and today is the day you're going to start proving it to the world.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I have found adding two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to 4 ounces of water and chugging it down once or twice a day will break the plateau. I also add a packet of stevia and a splash of cinnamon for flavor. If you are only eating 800 calories that is not near enough! You need to eat more to weigh less. Just make sure the what you are eating is good quality food, not crap.
  • ivybeeps
    ivybeeps Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DON'T give up. Why waste a good thing? Even if your not losing lbs, you are gaining muscle, endurance, stamina, GOOD HEALTH! I was at a plateau for three months. I finally broke it by cutting out refined carbs at dinner. It's better to be proud that you figured out how to get past your plateau rather than be depressed you gave up.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When that happened to me I lowered my calories a bit and upped the intensity of my workouts. That did it for me.