p90x (calories burned) question

Options
Hi everyone,
So I'm starting p90X this sunday, and I was wondering if anyone knows of an accurate calorie burn count for any of the workouts. I have done the workouts before, but it was only for a week or 2 and I couldnt continue. My old HRM was completely inaccurate!! I highly doubt I was burning 2,000 calories in one workout (I wish!) but I have heard everything between 400-1200. I am 5'2", 234 lbs with not all that much muscle (yes, I'm a weakling). If any of you are around my size and have recorded p90x calories burned, would you mind sharing some of your workout #s with me? I just want to get as accurate as possible. Thanks everyone, and keep pushing foreward!!! :wink:
Cassie

Replies

• elva929
    Options
    Hi there, I signed up as a P90X coach a few weeks ago, and recently started to do P90X, its my understanding that on average you can burn up 500calories, this is all depending on your level of intensity... Good luck!!!
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Measure your heart rate the old fashioned way with two fingers and your neck. Do it on the small breaks they give you and you could take an average. Take that average to a calories burned by heart rate calculator online and it will tell you. At least its something.
  • fanatic888
    Options
    I put it into MyFitnessPal as circuit training and it comes up with about 500 calories or so which seems accurate enough for my loose tracking of calorie intake. I hope that helps.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just did Chest and Back today. I used my HRM and in 64 minutes burned 571 calories.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    It's going to depend on your weight. As Scott mentions, you can either take your pulse a couple of times or you can buy a heart rate watch with chest strap and use that to measure your calories burned. If you can afford the watch, it's a great investment.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have had P90X for almost a year and have been too scared to try it....my sister has actually had it since it came in. I have gotten down to about 237lbs and have been stuck and decided to take a few days of rest and start Sunday. I also ordered Insanity too...would it be too nuts to do P90X in the morning and Insanity at night? I'm really trying to get under 200 by my 30th April 19th...
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started at 175 and on average i burned around 500 calories. some days only 200 other days over 600. Depended on my level of intensity and what work out i was doing.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    What I burn - (5'9", 155lbs)

Ab ripper - 128 cal for 17 min
    Yoga - 263 cal for 90 min
    Kenpo - 668 for 57 min
    Core - 544 for 58 min
    Cardio - 646 for 60 min
    Legs and Back - 311 for 60 min
    Stretch - 176 for 60 min
    Arms/Shoulders/Tri - 366 for 60 min

Hope that helps :) I'm on the lean program so I won't have additional exercises for another three weeks.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have had P90X for almost a year and have been too scared to try it....my sister has actually had it since it came in. I have gotten down to about 237lbs and have been stuck and decided to take a few days of rest and start Sunday. I also ordered Insanity too...would it be too nuts to do P90X in the morning and Insanity at night? I'm really trying to get under 200 by my 30th April 19th...

Completely insane, but more power to you if you can do it! I think insanity is more cardio based, so you might want to do that one in the morning and p90 at night. I was extremely sore the first couple of weeks of doing p90, so i couldn't imagine adding another work out to it.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and last summer when I was doing P90X I weighed 165-ish.. I'm about 10lbs heavier now. My burns would average 400 cals or so.. Legs & Back days I would burn 700, almost 800. I wish I could be of more help.

Have you washed your HRM chest strap? There was a period I wasn't getting ANY HR reading.. It'd say my resting was 42 bpm, and I was working my butt off! Not to sound gross, but I didn't wash mine for a good month when I first bought it because I wasn't sure I could get it wet. I then realized BOTH sides unsnap from the connector piece in the middle and I hand washed it. My reading was certainly more accurate the following day.

Take care of that HRM issue first.. .it's your best tool in providing an accurate reading of your calories burned. Even if you found someone of your same stats doing the program, they could be going easy or working harder. It's all dependent on level of intensity and how much you put into it.

Good luck! If anything, just have fun with it! I'm sure whether or not you count cals burned, you'll start to see wonderful things happen to your body!!

xoxo
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :-) Lots of good ideas here, this is something I wonder about too
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Can you do P90x in the UK?

x
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options

You could do P90x-Insanity hybrid. I think doing P90x in the morning and insanity at night will be too much. I'm attaching the link to the hybrid schedule and worksheet. Hope this helps.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/d35f8de1-d294-4585-9b3a-1d7c5b21c37a
  • FitqueenT
    Options
    OP, I would definitely invest in a new Heart Monitor. I've seen some at Walmart that weren't too expensive. As you know each and everyone of us burn different amount of calories. I usually burn anywhere between 300 and 600 depending on the exercise and how I bring it! Lol
    Good luck.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could do that...awesome option!! I will be trying that to start. Do you use weights with P90X? I have seen so many people say both...I already left and use pretty heavy weights and I don't want to loose my strengh. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • FitqueenT
    Options
    Last year when I first did P90x I mostly used the band and 3-5lbs dumbbells. This time around I'm using 10-15lbs dumbbells and a pull up bar. I can manage to do 3 without assistance which is nothing but I'm working on it. AH AH
    If you can really lift, I say go for it!!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Can you do P90x in the UK?

x

Sure :) It's videos
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Measure your heart rate the old fashioned way with two fingers and your neck. Do it on the small breaks they give you and you could take an average. Take that average to a calories burned by heart rate calculator online and it will tell you. At least its something.

Just did this and it is way overestimating.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For Plyo my HR is prob 140 throughout and it says that is 1000 cals.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What I burn - (5'9", 155lbs)

Ab ripper - 128 cal for 17 min
    Yoga - 263 cal for 90 min
    Kenpo - 668 for 57 min
    Core - 544 for 58 min
    Cardio - 646 for 60 min
    Legs and Back - 311 for 60 min
    Stretch - 176 for 60 min
    Arms/Shoulders/Tri - 366 for 60 min

Hope that helps :) I'm on the lean program so I won't have additional exercises for another three weeks.

This is really helpful and close to what I burn think I have been burning too! Thanks!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    this was meant to be a response to a quote...... somehow i messed it up. to ehathaway5 ----

" have had P90X for almost a year and have been too scared to try it....my sister has actually had it since it came in. I have gotten down to about 237lbs and have been stuck and decided to take a few days of rest and start Sunday. I also ordered Insanity too...would it be too nuts to do P90X in the morning and Insanity at night? I'm really trying to get under 200 by my 30th April 19th..."

hi, i'm totally new here and i have no idea if your question was answered already or not.
    insane probably isn't the best word to describe that kind of schedule. motivated would be ;-)

p90x is hard core in terms of core/ resistance training. plyo is pretty hard, all on it's own. i'm doing a p90x/ turbo fire hybrid. and in my own personal opinion, that would be a better option. Insanity is HARD CORE cardio! i mean it's like plyometrics on steroids!

if you want to shed fat and lbs and inches, and be able to actually complete the DVDs from day one, get turbo fire instead. THOSE you can definitely do 2 a day!!!

i personally think p90x and insanity on the same days would be very very very hard, depending your current fitness level.

just a personal example of my experience the past month. i did 3 solid weeks of p90x, and didn't lose any inches or weight. built muscles yes, and got stronger, yes. i added in TF at week 4 ( p90x recovery week). and between thurs and sun ( the two days i took measurements) i dropped 8 INCHES!!!!! 2 of those in my waist. starting today i'm back at a week of p90x, and i'll throw in 3 days of TF HiiT work outs too.

anywho! i'm new and feel free to ignore me :-) just wanted to offer my 0.02

best of luck to you, whatever you decide!!!