Running in the Cold?

Options
2»

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I just went running in VT over Christmas. It was snowing near the lake. I saw plenty of other runners who were dressed much warmer than I.

I agree with what everyone said. Layers, hat, wicking stuff.

For Christmas I got these darn tough wool socks (from our family in VT) and they are amazing to run in. So warm.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I live in the Siberia of North America. It's running between -20 and -30 here now. Base long sleeve layer (wicking), fleece layer, windbreaker. Head, ears, and face need to be covered, I'm just using a toque and scarf at the moment. I've only been running for a week. If it's icy/snowy, I recommend some winter spikes for your shoes.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    UnderArmor or other name brand wicking clothing. I use a long sleeve "Walmart brand" tight fitting wicking shirt and then Short sleeve technical as well as my UA Cold gear running tights. If its Very cold 32 or colder and windy I use my columbia softshell under armor gloves and a Baclava hood Wicking top and fleece neck.

If its below 10F single digits I will run but only if there is little to no wind.

Above 35F I move to a light windbreaking jacket or no jacket and a ball hat or a light stocking hat.
    gloves come off at 42-45F as well as a jacket and the long running tights

Anything above 48 and Im in shorts and a technical tshirt maybe 2 tshirts but no long sleeve

Anything over 70F and I run naked.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Here's a nifty little thing to help you decide what to wear based on weather;

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html
  • lolaburga
    Options
    I live in Vermont as well, since it has been more of a mild winter it has been good conditions to run or train. I have noticed for myself that it is a lot easier to run and "catch my breath" If you ever need someone to train with let me know...but I am a beginner.