Is eating breakfast a must?

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    I think the breakfast theory came about because scientists observed naturally thin people - the majority of whom ate breakfast. So they concluded that breakfast must help keep them thin. I reckon they ate breakfast because they were hungry...
    Not scientists, but pseudo scientists and the food industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    The only time I've ever heard that thing about skinnier people are people who eat breakfast is on adverts for breakfast food. And they're biased.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I agree that eating breakfast makes also makes me more hungry.

I have read up allot and their is evidence that women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism,

When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight.

Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure.

I have started eating breakfast every morning and my entire day is different, I don't snack so much and I find waking up early to have time to make and eat breakfast is great, about at 6.45am. Oatmeal, Kellogs with fruit or yoghurt and even a healthy vegy sandwich keeps me going until snack time which is about 10am.

My blood sugar is constant and my mood :smile: ,we are all still like children, when babies are hungry, the first thing we always ask is "maybe it is feeding time" same thing with toddlers and even now my kiddos age 9 and 11.

Hope this helped and it really is a great start to the day.

Have a great week, regards

DD

I strongly disagree with the claim that not eating breakfast prevents the production of enzymes that metabolize fat. If you can provide any kind of case study proving your point I would be inclined to change my mind, but until then nothing I've read says anything of the sort.

That being said, the 'starvation eating' statement is very valid. Many people have trouble skipping breakfast not because of any physical effect of missing breakfast, but because of the mental effect being hungry has on their lunch or mid morning snack or whatever. If you find yourself ravenous and unable to stick with your diet because you missed breakfast, you should eat breakfast. If not, it's not necessary. Try it and see how it works for you. That's all tied to mental discipline and scheduling your meals so you're best able to stick with your diet, NOT with your body's physiological response to eating or skipping breakfast.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want, and it doesn't have to be breakfast food. I'm not adverse to half a sandwich at 10am.

Some researchers reckon early morning exercise before breakfast will teach your body to burn stored fat, too. It was all over Runner's World this month. But I'm not sure I'd follow their "run up to two hours" advice!
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Well... it is for me. Lol! But not for EVERYONE :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I agree that eating breakfast makes also makes me more hungry.

I have read up allot and their is evidence that women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism,

When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight.

Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure.

I have started eating breakfast every morning and my entire day is different, I don't snack so much and I find waking up early to have time to make and eat breakfast is great, about at 6.45am. Oatmeal, Kellogs with fruit or yoghurt and even a healthy vegy sandwich keeps me going until snack time which is about 10am.

My blood sugar is constant and my mood :smile: ,we are all still like children, when babies are hungry, the first thing we always ask is "maybe it is feeding time" same thing with toddlers and even now my kiddos age 9 and 11.

Hope this helped and it really is a great start to the day.

Have a great week, regards

DD

That is a load of baloney. I would suggest reading about the hormonal response to intermitent fasting.