Parenting Advice (Yikes!)

Options
jennajava
jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
Let's not turn this into a bash-everyone-who-doesn't-think-like-me thread like other parenting threads.

First time mom here.

I have an 8 1/2 month old daughter. She isn't crawling yet. She is, however, trying to "scoot" backwards. The problem we run into with crawling is that we have hardwood floors, and every time she attempts to crawl, she can't get any traction. My only carpeted areas are under tables, etc.

Is there anything I can do to make this easier on her?

Or, do any of you have kids who didn't crawl, and just walked? She is attempting to stand, and will take a few steps when I hold her hands.

Also, is there anything I should be worried about?

ETA: It's almost like she just isn't interested in it. Haha :) She is very intelligent, can say several words, loves to sit and look at books, etc. but moving just isn't a priority to her. How can I encourage her to get moving?

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    it could be the hard wood floors that are a problem..but ive heard of kids skipping crawling altogether..i dont think 8 1/2 months is really late to crawl... have you asked her Dr????
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You have NOTHING to worry about! My youngest (he turns 2 next week) crawled for about 3 days then took off walking around 10 months. You'll hear it 100 times over (and it's actually true)....every baby is different. My almost 4 year old was talking in 3 word sentences by 16 months. My almost two year doesn't say two word sentences and after having him evaluated he is perfectly fine, can say the letters but is pretty much lazy and lets his older brother talk for him. She'll be there in no time and you'll be wishing she wasn't as mobile again :)
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Let's not turn this into a bash-everyone-who-doesn't-think-like-me thread like other parenting threads.

First time mom here.

I have an 8 1/2 month old daughter. She isn't crawling yet. She is, however, trying to "scoot" backwards. The problem we run into with crawling is that we have hardwood floors, and every time she attempts to crawl, she can't get any traction. My only carpeted areas are under tables, etc.

Is there anything I can do to make this easier on her?

Or, do any of you have kids who didn't crawl, and just walked? She is attempting to stand, and will take a few steps when I hold her hands.

Also, is there anything I should be worried about?

I walked before I crawled. If you want to help her learn to crawl a little easier, how about you put a rug or yoga mat down and see how she does with the added traction?!
  • jennajava
    Options
    it could be the hard wood floors that are a problem..but ive heard of kids skipping crawling altogether..i dont think 8 1/2 months is really late to crawl... have you asked her Dr????

I never crawled, and walked early. Just wondering if it was the norm. Her doctor says she's fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question for the pediatrician.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much. Your child will learn to walk, I promise. It's not a race.

Plus why rush it? You know my favorite thing about when my daughter was that young? When I put her somewhere she stayed there. That's a gift you should be cherishing!
  • jennajava
    Options

He just tells me, "She's fine, and she'll do it when she's ready."
  • rml_16
    Options

Do you not believe him?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

LOL read it wrong..dont THINK like you..dont LIKE you... WHATEVEA
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Could be she just isn't getting traction on the hard wood, perhaps put down some area rugs and see if that helps. They are fun when the are mobile, but the longer you can keep them from moving the easier your life will be! lol

Mine both started moving early and they definitely kept me busy. Good luck!
  • jennajava
    Options

Do you not believe him?

Nah, I tend not to trust people with degrees. They usually don't know what they're talking about.

Of course I do. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to be an excellent parent and encourage her to develop.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My kids crawled and walked early. Some of friends' kids did not crawl or walk until later and some kids never crawled. They just walked. All children are different and do things at their own pace. In fact, I have twins - one of them crawled first, one of them walked first, one of them talked first, etc.
    And, I doubt your hardwood floors are going to keep your baby from doing anything. She will get up and move when she is ready.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much. Your child will learn to walk, I promise. It's not a race.

Plus why rush it? You know my favorite thing about when my daughter was that young? When I put her somewhere she stayed there. That's a gift you should be cherishing!

Definitely agree with this! My daughter crawled at 5 months and my son walked at 7 months.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Relax! Kids progress at different rates whether you stress about it or not! This is a learning curve for her let her explorer, enjoy it and progress at her own pace - she'll crawl and lots of other things when she is ready. Doctors check milestones at appoinments and I am sure he would tell you she is doing just fine! :wink:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Do you have grippy socks for her? I think I've seen pants that have little knee grippies on them, or even little knee pads you can put on top of pants, if she can't go bare-legged. Or could you put down an area rug for her to practice on?

All kids are different. My daughter was walking at 9 months, never really crawled much. My son crawled a LOT and didn't walk until 13 months. If she can roll and scoot and get around otherwise, there's nothing to worry about.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

I agree with your doctor.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have five kids, Don't worry. Some kids never crawl, they only scoot. He/She, you didn't say and I can't tell by the picture is smart. Found his/her own way of getting around. That is what they are suppose to do. The only way to see if he/she would crawl if it weren't for the floors is to either put not slip knee pads on or let him crawl around in just a diaper. If it were summer I would do the latter, but being that it's winter I would let him scoot about and by his bday he will be walking anyway.

I agree with your pediatrician She will be just fine. (saw the she afterward.)

Congrats and enjoy her while she is little. The time goes by so fast. My oldest is 17 now. :cry:
  • jennajava
    Options
    Thank you! I just want to make sure I'm being the best parent I can be for her. I don't want to be a lazy parent and skip out on something I could be doing to encourage her development.
  • rml_16
    Options
    One of Frank Zappa's kids (don't remember which) never crawled. He turned over on his back, put his head on the floor and pushed his pelvis up, then used his feet to scoot around like that.

He's as normal now as he can be, considering he was raised by Frank Zappa ...
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my very best friend has a daughter the same age as my eldest, he crawled at 4 months, she never did.

she went from bum shuffling to "cruising" i.e walking around on the furniture around a year old then walked.

my youngest didnt crawl till he was 8 months, then he walked around 16 months.

i doubt its your floors causing the problem but you can buy/make knee pads (good for keeping clothing its best too) if you want.

BUT when you have your first you do tend to expect them to do things earlier, it seems like everyone elses kid is racing ahead OR it seems like your sitting around waiting for the next milestone.

she might not crawl at all, if she's getting around quick enough with what she's doing right now she'll see no reason to change.

one day you'll probably find that she'll just get up on a sofa and find out cruising is best.

dont fret about it, she'll do it all in her own time, just sit back and enjoy it all before its all gone *sob*