average fashion model VS plus-size *pics*

Options
(Pictures removed by moderator - 12. No Profane, Vulgar, Sexually Explicit or Illegal Images http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines )

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

- Ten years ago plus-size models averaged between size 12 and 18. Today the need for size diversity within the plus-size modeling industry continues to be questioned. The majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14, while the customers continue to express their dissatisfaction.

- Most runway models meet the Body Mass Index physical criteria for Anorexia.

- 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller.

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly kind of torn on this topic. While I don't want to see the sickly thin models, I also don't want plus sized models making me feel 'okay' about being overweight and unhealthy. Yes I should be confident and value my self-worth at any size, but I should also strive to take care of my body and nourish it properly.

*shrugs*

(Edit for spelling)

To add: I think that women of ALL sizes should be in modeling, because it should be more about encouraging confidence and love of oneself, than a pair of skinny jeans...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont see why we should promote TOO thin or TOO heavy
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly kind of torn on this topic. While I don't want to see the sickly thin models, I also don't want plus sized models making me feel 'okay' about being overweight and unhealthy. Yes I should be confident and value my self-worth at any size, but I should also strive to take care of my body and nourish it properly.

*shrugs*

(Edit for spelling)

To add: I think that women of ALL sizes should be in modeling, because it should be more about encouraging confidence and love of oneself, than a pair of skinny jeans...

i just saw a size 6 is plus sized...I guess my point is both models 'sizes' with time shrink and shrink.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

*shrugs*

(Edit for spelling)

i just saw a size 6 is plus sized...I guess my point is both models 'sizes' with time shrink and shrink.

Hopefully that can change one day. :ohwell:
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In my opinion... I work with teenagers and what I would prefer to see is healthy. Girls look at today's models and think they have to be so thin. Let's face it we are all built differently and yes some people are a size 2 and still healthy and fit and others are a size 8 and still healthy and fit etc. My problem are the models that look like skeletons. I wish the fashion industry would put "real"people in their clothing so it's more realistic to a healthy lifestyle.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree that too thin is just as bad as too heavy.... healthy weight is different for everyone and that is what we should be showing ppl...however i doubt that a size 18 is healthy for anyone..but i could be wrong...eitherway i just think that it should be about being healthy and not a stick or too heavy :)
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    btw totally agree with post on top of mines lol..didnt see it when i was posting..but she said it better then me lol :)
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks ;)
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

Is this because the models are getting thinner or because the "average woman" is getting bigger? Probably a little of both, but since our country has been getting fatter as a whole, I would assume it's probably the latter more than the former.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think that plus size is beautiful, thanks for posting
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    I think 'healthy' means something different for everyone in terms of their appearance! I was clapped on the back for my weight loss a few years back but I had only lost it due to stress, other women lose it due to eating disorders. The truth is, I have been at my healthiest in terms of emotional and mental health when I have been 'curvy'. I think plus sized models look beautiful and if these magazines allow people to see themselves as normal and beautiful even when they don't look like a model, then go for it! Looks can be oh so deceiving.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options

*shrugs*

(Edit for spelling)

I have to disagree. Just because they have a couple of extra rolls doesn't mean they're unhealthy. It should be about what size we feel most COMFORTABLE and HAPPY being. It shouldn't be dictated by the media or whatever *kitten* invented the BMI. Comfortable, happy, healthy. That's what matters.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

- Ten years ago plus-size models averaged between size 12 and 18. Today the need for size diversity within the plus-size modeling industry continues to be questioned. The majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14, while the customers continue to express their dissatisfaction.

- Most runway models meet the Body Mass Index physical criteria for Anorexia.

- 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller.

I used to be the store manager at a plus size clothing store and our 'plus size' mannequins were actually a size 6. We used to have to pin the clothes back and then customers would wonder why things never looked as good on them as they did on the mannequins. That was as big as the mannequins would come (at the time) but I think they're up to a size 10 now.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    Hear hear!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If you look at the super models from the 80's and 90's you have some really beautiful women who look healthy. Now, it looks like made up skeletons with a few whisps of chiffon. It isnt that the sizes have shrunk..... they have, but the women who would have been a 6 then would be a 4 now. The new models are 00 - 2. It is scary.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If there's truth that size 6 is ever considered to be plus size, than that is very sad, indeed.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would rather see a plus size model like that than a small model like the one above. The plus size model is realistic and having a super tiny model does promote unhealthy lifestyles.

But that is just me. My step sister has nearly completely destroyed herself by trying to be as small as models.

Look at old paintings they always painted naked women. how many of those women do you see their ribs? none. They were real women even in those paintings, they had curves and more to love. They actually resemble a lot of our plus sized models. They were/are beautiful.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump