average fashion model VS plus-size *pics*

Options

Replies

• Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Looking at those two models I have to say that I find the "plus" sized model much sexier then the rail of a model standing next to her. In my personal opinion I'd much rather be curvy and voluptuous then the skin and bones, looking like I just stepped out of a starving third world country.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Agreed. A size 12 used to mean a 26 inch waist ( ie: Marilyn Monroe), and now a size 12 is a 31-36 size waste depending on where you shop. Vanity sizing is an entirely different topic though.

My thoughts are, fashion models are too thin. Glorifying a size on the opposite side of the spectrum is equally wrong. The fashion industry isn't in the health industry, though.

110% Agree with this
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Amazing post. Thanks for the morning eye-opener!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    the "plus size" model is GORGEOUS.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

Is this because the models are getting thinner or because the "average woman" is getting bigger? Probably a little of both, but since our country has been getting fatter as a whole, I would assume it's probably the latter more than the former.

I agree. This was one of my first thoughts too. I believe it's probably a bit of both. Models now ARE often times too thin, but real women DO also need to take care of themselves and their bodies to be healthy. I think that HEALTHY is really what everyone ought to strive for.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How about a little *NSFW* tag in the tittle, please.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I think they both look unhealthy. You have both ends of the spectrum here. One is underweight and the other is overweight. To use them as models period promotes an unhealthy image.

I'm sorry, but you are WRONG! That "plus-sized" model looks like I look when I am in my healthy weight range (5'10" 170ish Size 8/10). She is not anywhere near overweight!. She could do a bit more toning, but she is not overweight by any means.

It's crap like this that makes average healthy women into people with eating disorders!

The plus size model is overweight...more belly fat than what would be considered healthy
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as it sounds. Firstly, most models are 5'9" or taller. Us tall girls carry our weight in a myriad of ways. Tall girls can be a size 4 and still be in their healthy weight range. Similarly, tall girls can be a size 12 and be within their healthy weight range. That is a big margin, but it is true for us tall girls. Thus, a "plus-sized" model is not necessarily an unhealthy or overweight model. She does not necessarily have a gut. She is not necessarily flabby. Having more "plus-sized" models does not necessarily equate promoting unhealthy and unfit lifestyles.

I dont think that is as much the issue as the fact that perfectly healthy size 6 women would be considered "plus size". a size 6 woman (or even a size 12 or 14 woman depending upon her structure) is not unhealthy or overweight. I too, am a tall woman. Just a hair under 5'10". The likelihood of me EVER being a size 2 is absurd at best. I could possibly be a 6 or 7, even at that, I will have to be thin. Lower end of "normal" thin. The sizes have grown, but the models have definitely shrunk. I dont like the term Plus sized model when I may be looking at a woman who is smaller than I can ever reasonably be.
  • yoli_bee
    Options

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

Is this because the models are getting thinner or because the "average woman" is getting bigger? Probably a little of both, but since our country has been getting fatter as a whole, I would assume it's probably the latter more than the former.

You're incorrect. The average model is 6'1" and 110 lbs, that is not because "we're getting fatter." It's because the fashion industry continues to devolve and promote unrealistic and unhealthy body ideals. Remember "heroin chic" from the 90's? Looking so thin you look addicted to heroin? Wikipedia common fashion models (Abbey Lee is a good example, I think she's super hot) and seeing 5'11 and a size 4 dress is not normal, in my opinion, especially given her admitting to disordered eating. I think Karlie Kloss looks toned/thin and healthy, and she's *still* probably underweight for her height.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I definitely think plus size needs to be seen more in the media and viewed as acceptable, its unfortunate our society scrutinizes everything. I just don't find paper thin to be attractive, on any body male or female. I've seen some overly thin models on fashion advertisements where I thought to myself, the woman is not even feeling out the clothes...which was probably a size 0. That is just too thin.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I think they both look unhealthy. You have both ends of the spectrum here. One is underweight and the other is overweight. To use them as models period promotes an unhealthy image.

I'm sorry, but you are WRONG! That "plus-sized" model looks like I look when I am in my healthy weight range (5'10" 170ish Size 8/10). She is not anywhere near overweight!. She could do a bit more toning, but she is not overweight by any means.

It's crap like this that makes average healthy women into people with eating disorders!

Just as a basis for comparison, I'm 5'10" and weigh 170ish (my maintenance range tends to go between 168-172). I have a healthy body fat % (lower end of the healthy range, actually) and mostly wear Size 8 in jeans (sometimes smaller in different bottoms, but mostly 8). I have stretch marks and loose skin, so you won't ever see me as a model (even if I was prettier, which I'm not, and that's fine), but I probably am a bit more slender than the "plus sized" woman in the picture (I probably have a smaller waist and larger chest). I have muscle, though, which seems to be absent on both models.
    I guess my point is that I am in no way "plus sized" but I look more like the "plus sized" model and, as such, that is misleading.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think that the plus size model is beautiful, but I don't think we are going to get anywhere by shaming thinner models ("they're anorexic, they're skin and bones, they're starving, real women have curves" and all that type of nonsense). Take for example the Victoria's Secret models - I think they're usually around 5'10" or up to 6' and weigh 120-130 pounds. They work out a lot and look really toned and healthy and in almost all the cases, they're just naturally that thin.

Obviously, the fashion industry needs to include women of all shapes and sizes and this ad campaign is a step in the right direction. I just wish they could do it without ridiculing a body type that they deem unattractive.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

The plus size model is overweight...more belly fat than what would be considered healthy

Again, there is a difference between someone who needs to tone up and someone who is overweight. You both are projecting your ideal body image onto this model. In the real world, most women don't all run around with washboard stomachs. Most of us have a bit of a belly bump, but not enough to push us into the overweight category.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

- 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller.

Too right, it's up to the 50% of women to do something about their size, I started this journey at a UK 24, I'm currently a UK 20, the healthy weight range for my height will see me at between a UK 8 - 12. Note this is the HEALTHY weight, if you chose to be unhealthy it's your problem if you can't get fashionable clothes to fit.
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree that I would love to see healthy models however when statements like "Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less. " are made it makes me mad. Logically this could be true because the average American woman is larger today, and the model has remained the same size. Either way it is unhealhy.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    to me the point is that society tells us to be beautiful you HAVE to be super stick thin..... and to me super stick thin is not beautiful.... I think everyone is beautiful, but you should strive to be a healthy weight for you (which does vary from person to person).... I know that even though I carry a bit more weight than other folks, I am in far better shape and take better care of myself. Thin doesn't necessarily equal healthy and we should be striving for healthy, not skinny.

People look at "regular" runway models and think there is an industry trying to force a "thin is beautiful" message on us, but in reality, the thinner the model, the less money the designer has to spend on fabric. Sample sizes are made to be a size 2 or smaller because it saves the designer money!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    People look at "regular" runway models and think there is an industry trying to force a "thin is beautiful" message on us, but in reality, the thinner the model, the less money the designer has to spend on fabric. Sample sizes are made to be a size 2 or smaller because it saves the designer money!
    [/quote]

What cheap a$$es...
  • lowlevelrebel
    lowlevelrebel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the "plus-sized" model in these ads is beautiful. The campaign is commendable (though it's important to remember that anorexia isn't a "body type" - it's a disease) because it's trying to add some body positivity to a rather negative industry and I think that's important.

Not representing plus-sized (or even average) body sizes in the media is not going to make fat people magically "go away". What it will do is shame people into thinking that their bodies are "less than" and that they don't deserve to see their body type represented. Ignoring for the moment the undeniable fact that, yes, some fat people are happy being fat, even if you are changing your lifestyle to a healthier one you aren't going to change overnight. In that interim period it would be nice to have some clothes to wear that are flattering (sackcloth and ashes is *so* last season) and to have models show them off so you can picture yourself in them. I know here in Canada a lot of the options for plus-sized clothing are pretty pitiful and anything that would make the clothes options better would be welcome.

Real women have curves. They also have no curves. They have full breasts, no breasts, implants. They have children and are childlfree. They work in the home and they work out of the home. They are thin and they are fat. To close off a part of the population and say "You shouldn't be seen until you are more perfect" is a shaming technique and makes women feel like they are worth less. I, for one, am glad to see strides being made to even things out.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a happy/healthy medium? Neither extreme is healthy.

I saw this posted on Facebook this morning.

That's the whole problem. She is not the "extreme". Yes, by classifications the size 12 model may be "overweight" but the fashion industry and society as a whole wants to make her out as "morbidly obese" which she is not. That's what makes the images so striking.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Modeling is having a human body wearing clothing to show it off, market, and entice people to buy it. What bugs me is when clothing catalogs for larger woman still use thin models to illustrate the clothing and how it looks on a small frame. That doesn't help me in the least to decide if I like the way it drapes, or does it help emphasize my strong points, and so on. Are you listening, WomanWithin?! I think Lane Bryant does well for this one!

As for mainstream modeling/advertisements, I just ask for a better representation of all sizes and shapes - and AGE. Not everyone is 20, either!