Russ Branjord's Spike Day

Options

Replies

• dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    during the week do you eat you exercise calories daily or could you just save these up for spike day?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    during the week do you eat you exercise calories daily or could you just save these up for spike day?

Nope, don't eat them. Your spike day will keep you losing.
  • 280to140
    Options
    I do have a spike day (although I've never called it this) once a week but I don't even go near 5,500 calories!
  • lookingglass1986
    Options
    Question: Can you choose any day out of any given week depending on the events of that week to have a spike day? Or must it be every 7 days like clockwork?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Has it worked for anyone?? Um, well, Russ lost 112 lbs doing it. My guess is YAH. And as for it being "healthy," you eat clean, nutritious food 6 days of the week. One day of indulgence isn't going to "undo" the benefits of the healthy food. I think it's far less "healthy" to deprive yourself of crappy food you love all the time. I spike every weekend, & sometimes it's not even crap. Maybe I'll go buckwild on some pasta or rice or guacamole. However, this weekend it will be alcohol....:drinker: :smokin: :devil:
  • 4theking
    Options
    Question: Can you choose any day out of any given week depending on the events of that week to have a spike day? Or must it be every 7 days like clockwork?

When I lost my 68lbs, I usually spiked on Saturday. I occasionaly moved it to Friday or Sunday but you do want to keep it around 7 days.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options

When I lost my 68lbs, I usually spiked on Saturday. I occasionaly moved it to Friday or Sunday but you do want to keep it around 7 days.

So what happens if you do eat some of your exercise calories throughout the week? I have really high burns sometimes so I eat them.
  • 4theking
    Options

So what happens if you do eat some of your exercise calories throughout the week? I have really high burns sometimes so I eat them.

When I am setting somone up on their diet, I look at their physical activity. If they are really active, I will set them at their bmr. If they are sedentary, I set them up a bit below bmr. You can tweak it from there.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Has it worked for anyone?? Um, well, Russ lost 112 lbs doing it. My guess is YAH. And as for it being "healthy," you eat clean, nutritious food 6 days of the week. One day of indulgence isn't going to "undo" the benefits of the healthy food. I think it's far less "healthy" to deprive yourself of crappy food you love all the time. I spike every weekend, & sometimes it's not even crap. Maybe I'll go buckwild on some pasta or rice or guacamole. However, this weekend it will be alcohol....:drinker: :smokin: :devil:

I was never suggesting that you deny yourself the food you love all the time, just stay within your daily calorie budget. I haven't gone wanting for anything, I just plan it in my daily budget. It just seems unhealthy to binge for an entire day. It may be effective but I don't see how it can be healthy.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm done and very satisfied. I ended up just under 6,000 calories, and this pretty typical of my past 300+ Spike Days.

Now tomorrow I will wake up feeling like an animal and crush it at the gym!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It just seems unhealthy to binge for an entire day. It may be effective but I don't see how it can be healthy.
    I get that, but you don't need to binge for an entire day to eat 3500+ calories. You can eat 3 restaurant meals & exceed that easily, with no snacks in between. I know for me anyway that was probably typical of my daily intake before I lost weight, & I didn't binge-eat, I just ate calorie-dense food & didn't move my *kitten* at all.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    It just seems unhealthy to binge for an entire day. It may be effective but I don't see how it can be healthy.
    I get that, but you don't need to binge for an entire day to eat 3500+ calories. You can eat 3 restaurant meals & exceed that easily, with no snacks in between. I know for me anyway that was probably typical of my daily intake before I lost weight, & I didn't binge-eat, I just ate calorie-dense food & didn't move my *kitten* at all.

Exactly I had 3 meals and a couple of snacks, and that got me to 6K cals.

Most people will spike effectively between 3,000-3,500 calories. I need more because I'm 6'2 220lbs.
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    bump
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Because of this post and a spiker friend and by downloading Spike Days eBook, i am now on the spike path. i chose today as my spike day because i found myself waking up in the middle of the night binging and carrying that guilt the next day then trying to make it all even out. i felt so deprived on ww and by just counting cals. i had a pretty high spike today and might not hit as high next week. it was tough to eat a lot today. I'm working on wrapping my head around the math, but I'm planning on going to bed so full and happy tonight then work my booty off tomorrow. will be doing some big lifting, ashtanga yoga and some weighted plyo. i feel like i could take on the world right now!!!!
  • stonea22
    Options
    Can spiking work if you only have 10 lbs to lose? Does the mixed pattern of eating work? I didn't see this answered, do you eat your other exercise calories? How does this work if you are small and on 1200 calories?
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Because of this post and a spiker friend and by downloading Spike Days eBook, i am now on the spike path. i chose today as my spike day because i found myself waking up in the middle of the night binging and carrying that guilt the next day then trying to make it all even out. i felt so deprived on ww and by just counting cals. i had a pretty high spike today and might not hit as high next week. it was tough to eat a lot today. I'm working on wrapping my head around the math, but I'm planning on going to bed so full and happy tonight then work my booty off tomorrow. will be doing some big lifting, ashtanga yoga and some weighted plyo. i feel like i could take on the world right now!!!!

" i feel like i could take on the world right now!!!!"

I love that attitude!
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Can spiking work if you only have 10 lbs to lose? Does the mixed pattern of eating work? I didn't see this answered, do you eat your other exercise calories? How does this work if you are small and on 1200 calories?

Yes it works whether you have 10 or 100lbs like I did. It's not a short term fix though and it really should be a lifestyle. 6 days a week, mentally in your head you think clean and one day a week it's downright nasty. My spike day is a constant, it has been for 8 years. I have one when I'm "bulking" and when I want to drop 10lbs quick for a 6-pack. I just play around with my calorie goals the other 6 days to achieve my results. Spike day is my Sabbath and it will be part of my life from here on out.

I never eat back exercise calories, I don't count them. I just live in a calorie range, BMR to BMR-500 when I cut and BMR-BMR+500 when I maintain. I try to keep it simple.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

It would be beneficial to do it on a workout day, maybe your biggest workut day. Or your biggest workout day the day after
    REally doesn't matter much but whenI see the surplus of cals before a big training day that day is more beneficial from it
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

When I am setting somone up on their diet, I look at their physical activity. If they are really active, I will set them at their bmr. If they are sedentary, I set them up a bit below bmr. You can tweak it from there.

yo King, Ultimately it just has to do with the total number at the end of the week right?
    I mean even if you did eat your workout cals but you set your daily number so low it doesn't really matter right?

I think its better to come up with a set number and go off that, cals go up and down too much from varying workouts
  • Caprica33
    Caprica33 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump