Options

Replies

• camjam89
    camjam89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well.

5"5
    CW: 170 | GW: 140
    Currently eating at around 1400 calories (BMR: 1,542)
    Pretty sedentary lifestyle (burn about 50-100 cal/day in exercise)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well.

5"5
    CW: 170 | GW: 140
    Currently eating at around 1400 calories (BMR: 1,542)
    Pretty sedentary lifestyle (burn about 50-100 cal/day in exercise)

I would stay on the low side if you are pretty sedentary. Stick with 1400 for six, spike day 2600-2800.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    Loving all this info BUT soooooooo confused :noway: - I am on 1200 calories/day, weigh 135 am 5'4" and trying to get down to 123-125 - I try to exercise 4x's a week with a burn of around 1200 (I know not much :cry: -lol) - I am loving the idea of a spike day which I am trying to do today - how many "extra" calories should I be eating on my Spike day???? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! :wink:
  • 4theking
    Options
    Loving all this info BUT soooooooo confused :noway: - I am on 1200 calories/day, weigh 135 am 5'4" and trying to get down to 123-125 - I try to exercise 4x's a week with a burn of around 1200 (I know not much :cry: -lol) - I am loving the idea of a spike day which I am trying to do today - how many "extra" calories should I be eating on my Spike day???? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! :wink:

Keep your calories at 1200, don't eat exercise calories and spike one day at 2400.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thanks 4TK :smile:

Spike Day today
    all you can eat brunch!
    2 large Belgian waffles, 4+ slices bacon, maple syrup, scrambled eggs, 3 donuts, OJ, milk, hashbrowna.
    Same place- 10 minute break

Cheeseburger, fries, 2slices of pizza.
    6 bowls of ice cream with various toppings

During next several hours.
    4 of my no bake chocolate chip oatmeal bars but with chocate coating...yum!

SB

6 large chicken tenders, 2 corn dogs, macron and cheese, 5 cheesecake bites, chips, some alcoholic beverages.

Up next I have some malt ice-cream with homemade magic shell topping.
    Maybe more, we'll see.

Workout tomorrow is so on!
  • 4theking
    Options
    Thought I would post up my spike day from Saturday. I am currently doing 1 1/2 spike days a week.

1 donut
    1.2lbs of pancakes, half bottle of syrup
    several servings of potato chips
    2 bowls of ice cream
    pizza
    french toast

Total calories 4,576 808gms of carbohydrates
  • hannata86
    Options
    Hello

wondering if you can help me decide a spike value... my bmr is 2023.

My exercise levels are temperamental (due to medical reasons some weeks i'm more able than others) so could you give me a baseline to work on taking in no exercise? Could I eatback calories on the days I am able to do exercise?

Many thanks :)
  • vannie18
    Options
    HI! Can you please help me!!!

5'6''
    160 lbs
    BMR 1457
    Currently eating to 1400-1500
    Want to lose 20 to 30 pounds.
    Working out 5 days with 30DS and mommy of two young children. Thanks in advance!!!
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Also hoping for spike day advice. I'm currently doing a weight loss challenge and the spike day scares me a little as I'm trying to get the biggest bang (highest weight loss) for my buck over the next few months. Sunday was my 1st weigh in and lost 5 lbs.--love it but I don't want to plateau. I also don't want to spike on the weekends since Sunday afternoon is my weigh in, but I guess Monday spike days would help take away the Monday blahs.

Stats: 5'7
    223 lbs.
    BMR 1693

MFP has a base caloric goal for me of 1320. I am exercising 5-6 days per week, and may eat a very few of the calories back, but not many.

Thank you so much in advance! It's very kind of you to be helping everyone out on here!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Me too, I'm always interested in new methods

5'6''
    130 lbs
    BMR 1296
    currently eating to 1380 and eating back exercise calories of 250 to 350 per day
    only around 10lbs to lose

1200 for six days, 2500 on spike day. Don't eat back exercise calories.

Thanks. I'm not sure I can see this working for me. I get hungry enough on 1380 without eatingexercise cals back let along 1200! Might think about it again if the current set up stops working. Appreciate the info though.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Hello

wondering if you can help me decide a spike value... my bmr is 2023.

My exercise levels are temperamental (due to medical reasons some weeks i'm more able than others) so could you give me a baseline to work on taking in no exercise? Could I eatback calories on the days I am able to do exercise?

Many thanks :)

Due to not much exercise stay on the low end. Daily calories at 1900 and spike at 3,000. If you have a week with a lot of exercise you can push spike day up a bit more to 3500. The idea is to use exercise to burn fat, use the spike day to help with the negative hormonal effects of dieting. For this reason, don't eat exercise calories. The only time I would recommend someone to eat some of them is if they are training for a marathon or something of that nature.
  • 4theking
    Options
    HI! Can you please help me!!!

5'6''
    160 lbs
    BMR 1457
    Currently eating to 1400-1500
    Want to lose 20 to 30 pounds.
    Working out 5 days with 30DS and mommy of two young children. Thanks in advance!!!

Keep your calories at 1400 and spike at 2600-2800.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Also hoping for spike day advice. I'm currently doing a weight loss challenge and the spike day scares me a little as I'm trying to get the biggest bang (highest weight loss) for my buck over the next few months. Sunday was my 1st weigh in and lost 5 lbs.--love it but I don't want to plateau. I also don't want to spike on the weekends since Sunday afternoon is my weigh in, but I guess Monday spike days would help take away the Monday blahs.

Stats: 5'7
    223 lbs.
    BMR 1693

MFP has a base caloric goal for me of 1320. I am exercising 5-6 days per week, and may eat a very few of the calories back, but not many.

Thank you so much in advance! It's very kind of you to be helping everyone out on here!

Having more to lose and also to speed things up, you can probably get away with keeping your calories where you have them now........1300-1400 and spike at 3000-3200.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Me too, I'm always interested in new methods

5'6''
    130 lbs
    BMR 1296
    currently eating to 1380 and eating back exercise calories of 250 to 350 per day
    only around 10lbs to lose

1200 for six days, 2500 on spike day. Don't eat back exercise calories.

Thanks. I'm not sure I can see this working for me. I get hungry enough on 1380 without eatingexercise cals back let along 1200! Might think about it again if the current set up stops working. Appreciate the info though.

Different things work for different people. I have found Intermittent fasting to help if you struggle with low calorie days. On my low days I skip breakfast, and somedays move back lunch, so I can have larger meals later and feel satisfied.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    so i wonder how this could work for me... my bmr is about 1200... i am small.. 5'4" 125 lbs. what kind of a spike would make sense for me... i seem to maintain on about 1600, anything above that consistently i gain.
    with exercise each week i burn about 1200-1440 i would estimate. not a huge effort i know... but it's what i do.

I would set your calories at 1200 and spike at 2000-2200.

thanks, that sounds pretty good to me... i might aim for 1300/2000 because 1200 i feel like i'm starving! but overall i like this idea.
  • cigarzzz
    Options
    Hi,
    would like some help please, very interested:

Me 6" 0"
    294 lbs
    1860 calories per day
    GW 185 lbs

thank you in advance

Set your daily calories to 2200 and spike at 4000-4500.

Thank you, should i keep everything above the same if my activity is sedentary...
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So...if you don't eat your exercise cals and have a spike day once a week, surely this is the same as eating your exercise calories throughout the week to ensure you don't dip?

*confused*
  • susiekate2
    susiekate2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So...if you don't eat your exercise cals and have a spike day once a week, surely this is the same as eating your exercise calories throughout the week to ensure you don't dip?

*confused*

It's not the same at all.

The reason our metabolism slows down, "starvation mode", is because the hormone leptin declines when have several days of calorie restriction. Even when we eat back exercise calories, we are still in a deficit and leptin will still decline. The only way to get leptin levels back up is to consume a calorie surplus for a day, hence Spike Day. It actually spikes leptin levels, mood, and metabolism.