MFP Mythbusters! Losing weight fast, exercise calories, girl

Options

Replies

• harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You are great !! Very good post - You almost put everything i keep wondering about. Now I am also gonna focus more on getting healthy than just that stupid scale which refuses to move.

Plus eating less will not help - now i am certain abt it coz earlier I had doubts - It seemed so logical that less calories = more weight loss but no it isn't.

Thanks for sharing !!
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    MFP was only giving me 1210 calories, which is INSANELY low and unhealthy. I did a lot of research (I'm a libarian, research is fun for me) and I decided that 1730 calories is actually what I need to be taking in. I should still loose a pound a week at 1730 calories! I'm try shooting for this goal instead.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    MFP Mythbusters! Losing weight fast, exercise calories, girls getting bulky, etc. (In case the title gets truncated.)

I've seen a couple people say stuff like they lose weight faster if they don't eat their exercise calories, or alternately that the scale isn't moving like they want it to. Everyone wants to lose weight fast, and they think the way to do that is to cut calories big time and/or not eat calories burned from exercise.

Last time I lost weight, I did it all wrong and just cut calories way too much. I thought I'd lose weight faster that way... actually, I just thought that was how you lost weight. I never thought I'd have progress aiming to lose just a half pound a week. That sounded ridiculously slow... who the hell would want to wait two and a half months to lose just 10 pounds!?

Well, I did lose weight by cutting calories a lot. Eventually. Ironically, even though I was trying to lose 1-2# a week, I usually lost less than a half pound a week. But instead of thinking, "Maybe I'm doing this wrong?" I'd think, "I just have a slow metabolism," and thought that eating even LESS would be the only way to lose more. Like I said, I did it all wrong.

So eventually, I reached 130# and wasn't happy with the results. I was happy to buy a pair of size 8 jeans, but not happy that I still had a muffin top and back fat rolls. Believing my options were "eat very little to try to lose or to stay at this size" or "eat what I want and weight 15-20# more," eating what I wanted won. Which, as luck would have it, was the better choice of the two, since I would have ended up malnourished, destroying my metabolism, losing even MORE lean muscle mass, and/or with an eating disorder if I'd kept it up much longer.

This time around, eating between 1800-2000 calories during most of my weight loss (1500 + exercise calories. I'm currently maintaining around 1700 net), I wasn't so much focused on losing weight because I didn't think I could, based on past experience. I was looking more at my fitness level and being able to run, then lifting to reshape my body and improve my running performance.

I'm currently around 130# again. And these are those size 8 jeans I was so happy to be able to wear LAST time I weighed 130#? They're a bit big. Actually... a lot big. They come off without unzipping them.

IMG_3258.jpg

These are those size 8 jeans, with the size 5 juniors jeans I'm wearing now. (Curvy cut because I'm not a straight up and down teenager.)

IMG_3265.jpg

So... yeah. Giving the choice between weighing less or wearing smaller clothes? I don't give a DAMN what the scale says anymore.

And as far as lifting weights goes... A year and a half ago, I was embarrassed that my arms were kind of chunky. Shirts that fit in the torso were too tight on my sleeves. If someone told me then that I should lift heavy weights, I'd have laughed because I thought my arms would burst through my seams like the Hulk.

Untitled-1.jpg
    (August 2010, around 150#)

Now, they fit in sleeves perfectly... but I love them so much I just hate covering them now. :smile: And I'm getting really close to being able to do a pullup with those "massive" pythons. I can do them (well, maybe one or two) with just 10# of assistance, but usually do 25#, having started with 70# of assistance in July.

IMG_3278.jpg
    (This morning, around 130#)

No, you don't HAVE to lift heavy. But if you want nice shape to your arms, and/or you want arms that can help you climb a rope or rappel down a cliff (can't WAIT until this year's Warrior Dash!!!) you're going to need more than 3# dumbbells.

You have not taken into account the aging process. I looked awesome at your age also. However, it is much more difficult as you get older. Muscle mass is lost every year. I have been to over 3 doctors who told me that to lose weight I can only eat 1000 calories daily. My issue is that I dont think it is right to generalize. We are all different. I am so much more health impaired now then when I was 40. My mother looked awesome at 80. Everyone is different and unique. What works for you may not work for the next person. Thanks for sharing.
  • smflagmeier
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for posting. This makes a lot of sense and helped motivate me to keep going!
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Awesome post- thanks for sharing. Gives so much guidance to a lot of misguided folks on here! I hate all of the calorie obsessed people on here who think deficit = success!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! You're obviously a strong, healthy, beautiful woman! And I love your "I Make Boys Cry" t-shirt! :-)
  • DanMason007
    DanMason007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    You look Fabulous! Thank you for posting!
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    MFP Mythbusters! Losing weight fast, exercise calories, girls getting bulky, etc. (In case the title gets truncated.)

I've seen a couple people say stuff like they lose weight faster if they don't eat their exercise calories, or alternately that the scale isn't moving like they want it to. Everyone wants to lose weight fast, and they think the way to do that is to cut calories big time and/or not eat calories burned from exercise.

Last time I lost weight, I did it all wrong and just cut calories way too much. I thought I'd lose weight faster that way... actually, I just thought that was how you lost weight. I never thought I'd have progress aiming to lose just a half pound a week. That sounded ridiculously slow... who the hell would want to wait two and a half months to lose just 10 pounds!?

Well, I did lose weight by cutting calories a lot. Eventually. Ironically, even though I was trying to lose 1-2# a week, I usually lost less than a half pound a week. But instead of thinking, "Maybe I'm doing this wrong?" I'd think, "I just have a slow metabolism," and thought that eating even LESS would be the only way to lose more. Like I said, I did it all wrong.

So eventually, I reached 130# and wasn't happy with the results. I was happy to buy a pair of size 8 jeans, but not happy that I still had a muffin top and back fat rolls. Believing my options were "eat very little to try to lose or to stay at this size" or "eat what I want and weight 15-20# more," eating what I wanted won. Which, as luck would have it, was the better choice of the two, since I would have ended up malnourished, destroying my metabolism, losing even MORE lean muscle mass, and/or with an eating disorder if I'd kept it up much longer.

This time around, eating between 1800-2000 calories during most of my weight loss (1500 + exercise calories. I'm currently maintaining around 1700 net), I wasn't so much focused on losing weight because I didn't think I could, based on past experience. I was looking more at my fitness level and being able to run, then lifting to reshape my body and improve my running performance.

I'm currently around 130# again. And these are those size 8 jeans I was so happy to be able to wear LAST time I weighed 130#? They're a bit big. Actually... a lot big. They come off without unzipping them.

IMG_3258.jpg

These are those size 8 jeans, with the size 5 juniors jeans I'm wearing now. (Curvy cut because I'm not a straight up and down teenager.)

IMG_3265.jpg

So... yeah. Giving the choice between weighing less or wearing smaller clothes? I don't give a DAMN what the scale says anymore.

And as far as lifting weights goes... A year and a half ago, I was embarrassed that my arms were kind of chunky. Shirts that fit in the torso were too tight on my sleeves. If someone told me then that I should lift heavy weights, I'd have laughed because I thought my arms would burst through my seams like the Hulk.

Untitled-1.jpg
    (August 2010, around 150#)

Now, they fit in sleeves perfectly... but I love them so much I just hate covering them now. :smile: And I'm getting really close to being able to do a pullup with those "massive" pythons. I can do them (well, maybe one or two) with just 10# of assistance, but usually do 25#, having started with 70# of assistance in July.

IMG_3278.jpg
    (This morning, around 130#)

No, you don't HAVE to lift heavy. But if you want nice shape to your arms, and/or you want arms that can help you climb a rope or rappel down a cliff (can't WAIT until this year's Warrior Dash!!!) you're going to need more than 3# dumbbells.

I just today upped my required 1200 calories a day to 1500 calories a day..have been on a plateau for forever...this post motivated me that I am taking the right direction..we shall see
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    this is EXACTLY how you lose weight!!!

i did the same thing only eating minimal and the weight loss completely stopped. I've been spending the last YEAR fixing my metabolism and doing things right...eating more and lifting heavy. And it works...i'm smaller :)

great post!

thank you
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Great story!
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    You look marvelous!!! Thank you for the inspiration! I also have discovered I could care less about what I weigh, as long as I can tone down my body fat (my own muffin top/back fat, haha. I'd much rather be heavier than "normal" (which is so much BS anyway) and actually be physically self-sufficient. Although looking good wouldn't hurt either. ;)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    And sometimes measurements are hard, too. I mean... what's it going to change... a fraction of an inch? Then you're going to be second guessing if you pulled the tape tighter last time or this time, or not measuring in the exact same place, or any number of other variables. Besides, most people measure waist and hips, and, for instance, those can stay the pretty much same while the lower belly region shrinks. Plus, I think it's easier to be objective in photos.

That's me with the measuring tape! I just gave up because my clothes have been a better measure for me. Thanks for the post! You ARE awesome, and I loooove your shirt!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

You have not taken into account the aging process. I looked awesome at your age also. However, it is much more difficult as you get older. Muscle mass is lost every year. I have been to over 3 doctors who told me that to lose weight I can only eat 1000 calories daily. My issue is that I dont think it is right to generalize. We are all different. I am so much more health impaired now then when I was 40. My mother looked awesome at 80. Everyone is different and unique. What works for you may not work for the next person. Thanks for sharing.

Difficult but still do-able, with some adjustments for YOUR needs. That is true for ANY age, all persons.

I am 47, short at 5'2" - also went through the eating 900-1000 cal a day to lose weight, and still not losing, and knowing I just had a slow metabolism because of my age.

But I kept trying, kept researching, kept adjusting.

For me, I also had to :

A) Start lifting heavy weights. Heavy for me, and heavy for you are different, but you can still lift heavy for you at any age. Lifting lighter weights many reps, i still was flabby, and fat kept inching on. It did not get me there.

B) Increase my protein intake, to 1 gram per pound of lean body weight. When mine is to low, I stop losing fat, also cannot lift weights heavily.

C) Increase my calories. I am currently up to about 1600 a day, and am slowing moving up from there, just finding what works for my body, and my needs. (started out at 1100, lost some weight and stalled)

I was working out burning about 400-500 cals a day. But in the last few weeks, I have upped it to 800 cals burned a day, as I am close to my goal weight, and trying to drop my body fat down a bit lower, before going into maintenance mode. Also working specifically on my trouble areas, that take extra work, beyond what I normally do.

But that's what "I" need to do. Not saying everyone else needs that.

I will also add, I recently read about a 73 year old women the other day, who out lifts all the men in her retirement home, lifting heavy.

So lifting heavy, eating more, can be scalable to all ages, any health conditions. Of course you start small, doing what you can do safely, and with good form. But age should never be a barrier.

I do not look like I did at 20, but I look darn good. :) And thats okay. I am strong, healthy, I have sen improvement in many health conditions that were starting to be an issue for me. And I have stopped others that plague my family, in there tracks. My Docter is thrilled with my Blood work, and health reports. I am being the best "I" can be, starting at where I was at.

I have a number of injuries from broken and dislocated, and damaged joints, and spine. I am in so much less pain, and more flexibility then I was 10 years ago. When I stop working out for a few months, I can tell. I digress, to the point my neck and lower back hurt all the time, and I literally have to roll out of bed, many mornings, because I can not "get up" to stand.

When I start lifting heavy again, within a few weeks, I have freedom of movement again, no pain, no stiffness.

I had borderline high blood pressure, that was becoming high blood pressure, which my Mom has. She also has diabetes, and Drs were concerned that was an issue for me possibly also. None of those are now an issue.

I gained 60 lbs, after age 30, I have since lost it in the past 5 years (started at age 42), I have tried many things, and had many starts and stops along the way.

Right now I am heavier weight wise then when I got married, but am the same clothing size, and LOOK firmer, tighter and leaner. (size 8) Thats 20 plus years ago. :) I can wear a bikini and look pretty good, though not yet to the place "I" want to be.

Saggy areas, are tight, underarms, legs, butt, thighs - that's what losing excess fat AND lifting heavy will do
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I have been having trouble eating back my exercise calories... I almost feel guilty for doing it. I never eat 2000 for sure.. and I'm over 300 lbs. I've lost weight.. but I just need to make sure I'm eating the right amount. Your post confirms it!
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have seen you post on here many times and you are my fitness hero! Very recently I've realized I want fitness more than I care about the scale moving so much. My goal in 2012 is now lifting heavy. After I finish my bootcamp in March or April I'm starting on New Rules. Last week I upped my calories to 1600. I had them at 1500, but I never would eat that much. Upping them helps me to get to the 1500 minimum. Do I still get on the scale? Every single day, but no longer to I walk away defeated because I'm liking how I look overall. Thank you for being an inspiration.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I can only take into account how the aging process has affected me so far. In another 20 years, I'll have a lot more experience to draw from. I would never say, "This is the only way to go." Of course I know there's no one size fits all approach. My sister is doing phenomenal with a low carb diet. I'd end up homicidal if I gave up my carbs. I do believe that there's not one person on this site who wouldn't benefit from focusing more on health and fitness and less on the scale. That's my main point... stop stressing on the scale.

I just know that I thought I had a crappy metabolism, and I thought I lacked discipline, and I thought I needed to reduce my calories a great deal to lose weight, and then I thought losing weight was not going to happen for me. And I'm happy to report I was wrong.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!! So many people think they need to stop eating. It is so opposite. Thank you for being such an ispiration!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Originally I wanted to lose 10 lbs but found myself very happy at losing just 6. My clothes are fitting me again the way I want them too. I was at 1062 calories and did NOT eat my exercised calories back. I lost at a rate of 1lb per week which is a healthy loss rate for someone my size. I also incorporated serious workouts to tone and help me lose inches. I have reached my goal also!