Medifast?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to start Medifast on Tuesday and was wondering if anyone has had any success. I have several friends that have and I will have a health coach as well. Thanks!

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    best of luck, you probably wont get much help here being Medifast is a VLC diet program. Starve yourself and lose weigh duh! go back to normal life and watch it come back threefold ........ FAIL IMO
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Very Low Calorie Diets, which include medifast, are generally not a good idea unless you are morbidly obese or obese with serious obesity related complications, and in both cases, you should be supervised by a doctor. I don't know what a health coach is... but... unless they have an MD behind their name, I'd be hesitant to follow their advice if they're putting you on such a restrictive diet. You only have 60 lbs to lose. You can lose that weight in a safer, slower manner.

In any case, good luck with your diet.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast when I was around 280 pounds. I lost like 14 pounds in the first week. But, I was tierd all the time and couldn't stick to something that strict. I gained my weight back plus some. So, Im trying to just eat healthier so I dont have to go through the ups and downs again.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A gal at my work did Medifast and gained all the weight back and then some. Like the others have said, there are healthier ways to lose the weight. Seriously, if you log into MFP and connect with some friends for motivation, this is very successful. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
  • marz1pan
    marz1pan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My mom did Medifast, and though she was very unhappy while on it--it is VLC and makes you tired and you're hungry all the time--it did help her lose the weight she wanted to lose, and aside from maybe 5-10 pounds, she didn't gain it back. She did continue to try to get small work outs in -- walks or minor body toning--just because doing nothing was making her feel worse. When she transitioned out of it, she was very careful about her diet and upped her workouts to where the were beforehand, which helped her manage her new weight. It has been about 2 years, and she's still doing great at keeping the weight off and toning.

Just like any weight loss, it comes down to making good food and exercise choices afterwards to manage your weight and your health. I don't think it's the healthiest option, and as much as I want to lose weight I haven't considered it, but I have seen some terrific success with it.
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did it and had success. I did gain it all back, but it was my fault. Biggest tip is you have to transition! I found, after the first few days of feeling like crap, I felt really good and the fast weight loss was very motivating. So why not this time?

I think this time I really wanted to focus on as many whole foods as I could. Also, losing so fast last time was almost scary - I got a lot of attention and I wasn't ready.

www.mymedifast.com has a wonderful support network. That was actually my favorite thing. I liked the food, too. Not for the faint of heart though!
  • surfyre
    surfyre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the Medifast products and I like them.. . I do my own modified version though and stay around 1200 calories and do a 4 and 2. I try to stay away from carbs and fill my plates up with green veggies and fish and chicken! I feel great when I am on this program and I lose about 2-3 pounds a week. More if I up my exercise.

The thing I like about their "on the go" products is I am on the road a lot and I can just throw some of them in my bag before I head out in the morning. That way, I can have my snacks and stay on program.
  • AJHarman
    AJHarman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on the Medifast diet, but I was a client of Take Shape For Life so I had a health coach who helped me. Health coaches don't give out medical advice but are cheerleaders and drill sergeants. They also know the program inside and out so they help you learn how to stay true to your committment/goals. Supposedly 40% of the health coaches with this program are healthcare professionals which to me said a lot about the validity of such a program. Also Medifast use to be available by prescription only and has been recommended by over 20,000 doctors. I sound like an advertisement I know but these were all things that were important to me when I was looking for a diet program. I lost weight on it averaging about 3 pounds a week (one of my motivating factors to keep going), learned things about myself that I didn't even know thanks the the workbook they have you go through and learned new health habits that allowed me to maintain for over a year before I got pregnant. Guess how I lost the weight after I gave birth? Through the nursing moms program with TSFL. They really give you the keys to losing the weight safely and quickly and the knowledge to keep it off for the rest of your life (or until the next baby... haha). My whole family is testimony that it works and works well. However, just to note, Medifast IS a diet so unless there is a lifestyle change which is what the health coach helps you do then the weight most likely will come back. Good luck on your health journey! Mine has changed mine and my family's life forever!
  • girllimberlost
    Options
    If you have a health coach and you work the program, you can have amazing success. I lost 35 pounds the first time I was on the program, and I am back on it to lose the last 60 (hubby didn't want me to lose more the first time). The most important thing, like other people who have had success, is that you transition back off. If you really get into fat burn and stay there and don't cheat in and out of it, you will have all kinds of fabulous energy. I personally know about 25 people who have used Medifast WITH A HEALTH COACH who have lost 40, 50, 60 pounds quickly and easily, and have kept it off just as easily.

It is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it is successful and backed by many significant studies, including Johns Hopkins University. Make sure you do the reading and the workbook and really address why you eat in the first place. Some people get all excited about the scale and forget to fix the brain.

Not for everybody and you have to follow the program and stay with your health coach, but you will be successful if you determine to be!
  • Lorianny
    Options
    I actually joined tonight, If you need support please feel free to add me
  • imcubed01
    imcubed01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got very ill on Medifast- threw off my electrolytes, palpitations, very low blood pressure. No way! Some people like it, I was ordered to get off of it by my doctor. The food was not that good, I did better balancing my diet and my portions and working out.

Sorry.... I even gave all the EXPENSIVE food away
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer a nutritional cleansing and meal replacement called Isagenix. It is so much easier to incorporate into your "real" life. You replace two meals a day and then eat a healthy 400 - 600 calorie meal until you have reached your goal and then they have a maitenance plan where you replace one meal a day. The shakes contain all the nutrients you need for the day and they are delicious! I've been on Isagenix for over two years and I couldn't imagine living my life any other way. Isagenix also has so many other benefits such as increased energy, mental clarity and focus and as wierd as it sounds....just an overall increase in happiness as it helps reduce the cravings that lead to food obsession and addiction that is associated with "dieting".
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I used Medifast successfully several years ago to lose 15 pounds. I did find that I felt better if I added some additional protein (no extra carbs) every day. I also didn't follow the rules about how often I was allowed to eat whole eggs because I knew my body needed the added fat and vitamins.
    So I would add some virgin coconut oil to a smoothie, or eat an extra hard boiled egg at night before bed.
    Because I stayed in ketosis the weight still came off, and I felt great. In fact, after the initial four day transitional period, I had more energy than I knew what to do with.

After I finished I transitioned out. The weight has stayed off; in fact, I am a bit lighter now than I was when I finished the program.

To sum it up:
    Supplement with protein and healthy fat if you are still feeling dizzy or tired after a week of medifast.
    Transition out as the program recommends.
    Work outs while on the program should be gentle cardio and no more than 20 or 30 minutes per day.

While on medifast (at least for me) the focus was on losing weight, and maintaining fitness, not on increasing fitness. Weight training and long runs came after I transitioned out.

Best of luck!
  • BirchBayLady
    BirchBayLady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds last year on MediFast. It is a great program and works well if you follow it. I did lose a lot of hair but I understand that is a problem a lot of people have who rapidly lose a lot of weight and I also went into surgical menopause at the same time, so I wasn't surprised. I left Medifast due to the expense of it and I was also pretty burnt out on their food, but I'm now using Wonderslim products with the same success. I lose about 2 pounds a week. I feel good, I'm healthy. I look forward to the end of this year when I am 30 pounds lighter and can go into transition/maintenance forever! Good luck!
  • Yellowfrog62
    Options
    I do know a friend that lost 57 pounds on it. She looks great and with anything else you will have to learn portion control.
  • Hthfamily
    Hthfamily Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the shakes are a high protein, low sugar protein powder. Also that the bars are like south beach diet bars. I was considering trying this and eating high protein, low sugar foods. I figure if I try these and eat small, 100 calories or so every two to three hours, It should be comparable. What do you guys think?
  • hereitcomes
    Options
    My MIL did Medifast a few years ago. She dropped a lot of weight rather quickly, but as soon as she started eating normally (even with a reasonable calorie restriction), she gained all of the weight back and then some. It ruined her metabolism and made weight loss even more difficult for her after the fact. I hope you have a better result if you choose to do it.
  • Hthfamily
    Hthfamily Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How do you do the modified version of Medifast?
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My MIL did Medifast a few years ago. She dropped a lot of weight rather quickly, but as soon as she started eating normally (even with a reasonable calorie restriction), she gained all of the weight back and then some. It ruined her metabolism and made weight loss even more difficult for her after the fact. I hope you have a better result if you choose to do it.

Why on why do people sitll pay good money for these "DIETS." Most people are going to gain back any weight lost on mediFAST and anything like it.
  • hereitcomes
    Options

Why on why do people sitll pay good money for these "DIETS." Most people are going to gain back any weight lost on mediFAST and anything like it.

I completely agree. Some people, unfortunately, need to find out the hard way.