anyone training for a marathon?

Options
13»

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon -- it isn't until next February :-) I am running the half on Sunday. I completed my second half on January 29th. I'm less concerned about running the distance and more concerned about how much time training sucks up. I've already got a lot on my plate with work and family. If I don't have time, I will do the half again -- but I'd really like to say I've run a full marathon! :-)
  • jaimelynnjones
    Options
    I'm training for my 2nd full marathon. I have 8 half marathons and 1 full marathon under my belt (one of each was a part of the Disney Goofy Challenge last year). I am SLOW, though. My half marathon average time is 2:45ish. And I'm hoping for under 6 hours for my 2nd full marathon. And by the way...all of my training is treadmill training. I'm a single mom with 2 little kids. I have no choice but to run after they are asleep at night! It's possible to do it. Now...would I be faster if I trained outside...possibly! But I'm doing it!
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ran the Boston Marathon last year (my profile picture is from the pasta meal the night before). I ran with a team and had great coaches and training program. I will impart some of what I learned.

Cross-training...cross-training...cross-training. It's not just your legs and feet that feel the brunt of a marathon. Your back, core and arms are all along for the fun. my coaches had us do 2 days of cross training (weights, crossfit or yoga)

Listen to your feet. My left was getting blisters and one of the mentors said, "Might be time for different shoes." I learned the hard way on a long run that was true. I thought I had a stress fracture. Nope - my feet swelled. I went from a 7.5 in Nike to 8.5 in Brooks.

Find a good place to get fitted and have 2 pairs of shoes ready to go.

Foam rollers are your best friend. It's good to roll out the muscles after a long run and helps you from tightening up.

Also, ice baths are not just for penguins. Ice baths totally helped my recovery on the longer more hilly runs.

Don't run more than 20 miles. A physical therapist came to talk to us about injury prevention. He said that it takes 2 weeks for your body to recover from 26 miles. We ran 20 miles about 3 weeks before the Marathon. And we ramped up and pulled back. I still have our training program if you want to look at it.

Practice. I knew when and how to fuel my body over the 26 miles. I knew which gels worked, what socks and dri-fit shirt I needed to wear. Nothing new on race day.

It took me 5:30 hours - much slower than I thought. Considering I NEVER thought I could run a marathon, let alone Boston, it was an amazing time and accomplishment.

I will be entering the lottery for the NYC marathon this year.
  • jay_ne
    jay_ne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have just entered the Kielder Marathon my first ever full marathon, loved the GNR so fingers crossed will feel the same about this one. Been out of running for a few years and am slowly building it back up again. I would really like to see you training programme MysteriousWay as I am struggling to find a good one to follow :)