Too much protein

Options
13»

Replies

• ClarrieStar
    Options
    I did 4 weeks on the Dukan Diet - I was fairly relaxed about it but I did eat more protein than usual and far less carbs. But not (I thought) to a crazy degree. I ended up severely ill with blood in my urine (sorry about the details..) and inflamed kidneys. My kidneys were fine before hand but my Dr. said that a high protein diet could do this. Also - I live in a hot climate and probably wasn't drinking enough. And no, I don't, and didn't, have kidney disease - I'm generally very healthy. So whatever anyone says, be a bit careful....
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get too much protein. It's been established that an excess of protein is linked to lower calcium levels and as a result, a greater occurrence of osteoporosis. RDA is 0.75g/Kg - not lbs. It's been argued that this recommendation is too high. If you exercise strenuously then yes your protein amount should be greater but for those of use who don't spend hours working out this is more than enough. Like Lisa I'm vegetarian so I average around 40g/day, and only very rarely do I hit what they recommend.
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    I read a lot too!
    hahahaha
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    You can manually set the goals for your desired carb, fat and protein intake. I have mine set for 40, 30, 30.

thank you 202 !
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Over on protein relative to what? Around 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to shoot for. The MFP default is exceptionally low...

I hear lots of people saying this, but I also hear a lot of people saying 1g per lb of LBM (which seems more reasonable to me). Just curious which it is.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some say LBM, some say total body weight. Some say 0.85 per, some say 1.0 per. If you're in the ballpark, you're fine. :)

Well - for me it's not small. I have about 133 pounds of LBM, but I weigh 217 (yes, I am FAT!!). I can eat 133g, but 217??

So shoot for the 133. But if you go over, even way over, don't worry about it :)
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    On a recent study done here in australia but the Sydney University, they actually found that over a year period girls between the ages of 18-25 had a better weight loss than the ones on a high carb diet with similar calorie intake.

here is the article that was in the local paper

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/high-protein-diet-helps-weight-loss-study/story-e6frf7jx-1226251174872