If I Ever Think of McDonalds Again . . .

Options

Replies

• ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Honey stays good forever....

http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/128/page:3

And it's all natural.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Voicing our opinions is the number one reason we are attacked :)

Expressing personal perspective in a public forum requires thickness of skin
    Expressing an opposing opinion is not attacking. mature adults are able to interchange opposing ideas and not see them as personal attacks.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I quite believe all these stories or not...I just know the terrible stomach-aches, puking, and diarrhea I suffered as a child from eating from McDonald's is enough to keep me away from it for the rest of my life. :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not so fast, Champ....

Here's an article with some interesting results after testing this:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html
    The Conclusion

How do you think beef jerky is made?

So there we have it! Pretty strong evidence in favor of Theory 3: the burger doesn't rot because it's small size and relatively large surface area help it to lose moisture very fast. Without moisture, there's no mold or bacterial growth. Of course, that the meat is pretty much sterile to begin with due to the high cooking temperature helps things along as well. It's not really surprising. Humans have known about this phenomenon for thousands of years. After all, how do you think beef jerky is made?

Now don't get me wrong—I don't have a dog in this fight either way. I really couldn't care less whether or not the McDonald's burger rotted or didn't. I don't often eat their burgers, and will continue to not often eat their burgers. My problem is not with McDonald's. My problem is with bad science.

For all of you McDonald's haters out there: Don't worry. There are still plenty of reasons to dislike the company! But for now, I hope you'll have it my way and put aside your beef with their beef.

but what about the cheese?

in the mcdonalds article it acknowledges that burgers won't necessarily rot "By the way, we are aware of last year's experiment that proved that under the right conditions, a homemade hamburger will not mold, either. Very interesting, but note that this experiment did not include cheese."

... why didn't the cheese or bread mold?... weird

Ummm... because the whole article is junk. They totally made it up just to get people all up in arms!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ^ what i am gathering is the answer to my question is that there was no mold on the unwrapped cheeseburger due to lack of moisture?

(i get the sensationalism of the article, i am trying to understand the details out of curiosity)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    ^ what i am gathering is the answer to my question is that there was no mold on the unwrapped cheeseburger due to lack of moisture?

(i get the sensationalism of the article, i am trying to understand the details out of curiosity)

Yes. When they put the cheeseburger in a sandwich bag and sealed it... then it molded. Same results with the homemade burger.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    So........... if you are what you eat, and it is a burger that will last forever.......... does that mean I will be immortal?
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Here's a story from a local newcast about chicken nuggets

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=257372

GROSS! I will never eat a McNugget again!

Did you happen to read the whole article? Did you miss this little tidbit at the end?

NewsChannel 5 Clarification: Retired egg layers are used in nugget production, however they are not the exclusive source. Some nuggets are made from a paste, as described above, other nuggets are not made from paste. Ammonia may be used in the manufacturing process, however, most nuggets are not washed with ammonia.

I actually watched this when it aired on our nightly newcast. So no...I didn't miss anything. Wendy's, Hardee's and maybe a few others actually use REAL chicken breast. You can tell by the way it separates when you tear it apart.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I will never eat at McDonald's...

As long as there's an In N Out nearby!!!
    Double Double FTW!!
    innout.jpg
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Maybe they stored that burger in space.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Did you happen to read the whole article? Did you miss this little tidbit at the end?

NewsChannel 5 Clarification: Retired egg layers are used in nugget production, however they are not the exclusive source. Some nuggets are made from a paste, as described above, other nuggets are not made from paste. Ammonia may be used in the manufacturing process, however, most nuggets are not washed with ammonia.

I actually watched this when it aired on our nightly newcast. So no...I didn't miss anything. Wendy's, Hardee's and maybe a few others actually use REAL chicken breast. You can tell by the way it separates when you tear it apart.

Hardee's doesn't even sell chicken nuggets. They sell strips, or at least that is how it is in my part of the country.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

And you are implying that McDonald's doesn't? BTW Hardee's doesn't even sell chicken nuggets. They sell strips, or at least that is how it is in my part of the country.
    Perhaps the cheap Mc D nuggets is what they mean....but then of course they have the 'chicken select' or whatever it's called. Those seem far less of a paste source.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Just got a text from the wife, asking what I want @ McDonald's. :laugh:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... McRib...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'll have a qtrcheeseLG.jpg
    and a mcdonalds-fillet-o-fish-300x239.jpg
    some mcdonalds-fries.jpg
    and a water.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm out of this thread. I'm on MFP for support, not to argue.
    I was voicing my opinion and now I feel attacked.
    Attacked? Folks are exchanging opinions and information. Sorry of the facts don't jive with the information you provided about the ingredient count. :flowerforyou:

Ummm...no-apparently she feels attacked because someone posted a giant cheeseburger:
    Aren't we supposed to be here to support eachother? It seems like the only thing you like to do is comment on threads with negative comments. All these people trying to NOT be that over-weight person anymore, and you want to post a giant cheeseburger.. I get your humor, but you need to get off my back.

Food is the ENEMY. :noway:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    some mcdonalds-fries.jpg
    and a water.
    Went with the classic Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke (because I like the flavor better than regular).

big-mac-extra-value-meal.jpg
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    BLARF!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    COMPLETELY DISGUSTING. Thanks for the share, I shared this on my Facebook.

& for the people who said they would eat this..
    "You have to wonder about a food that has 15-32 different ingredients and isn't a casserole."
    Yeah, because having a lot of ingredients is crazy, never mind what those things are.
    Aren't we supposed to be here to support eachother? It seems like the only thing you like to do is comment on threads with negative comments. All these people trying to NOT be that over-weight person anymore, and you want to post a giant cheeseburger.. I get your humor, but you need to get off my back.
    Rebutting misinformation is not negative. Wouldn't you rather that accurate information be provided, rather than myths or supposition?

No, I live in my own magical world filled with rainbows and unicorns and I am always right.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    some mcdonalds-fries.jpg
    and a water.
    Went with the classic Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke (because I like the flavor better than regular).

big-mac-extra-value-meal.jpg

I sometimes think you save up all week in order to chime in and rub those fries in my face for dinner. haha