My calorie goal is 1240, but I have trouble getting there!

Options
My calorie goal is set at 1240 a day. However, by the time I finish dinner on most days, I'm only up to 800 or 900. That includes three meals and two snacks. I finish the day full, but I'm worried that I'm not getting enough calories. I've been eating a lot of turkey products (ground, bacon, etc), chicken, and vegetables since I'm staying away from white carbs. Do I need to eat more red meat and dairy products?

And yes, I do try to stick to a low-carb plan.

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    eat string cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, almonds
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was doing yogurt every AM, but cut it because I just don't like it. =)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    Well, turkey is exceptionally lean. Beef and fatty fishes would add more calories, probably.

Try adding nuts as a snack, and add avocado and cheese to your salads. Use full fat salad dressings and yogurts. Sprinke cheese on your eggs and add cheese to your snacks. Trail mix is excellent for dense calories.

It's easy to add a couple humdred this way.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Make one snack with peanut butter and you should be able to hit 1200. :smile: 1200 is the minimum your body needs so it's important to NET that amount daily.
  • nnapieralski
    Options
    I work out three to four days a week and burn at least 300 calories each time. I'm just not nearly as hungry as I used to be. I used to LOVE cheese, but my taste for it has waned since I've been working out.
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    Cheeses and Peanut butter... When I'm pretty much full and have to get some extra calories this is usually what I have.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is set at 1240 a day. However, by the time I finish dinner on most days, I'm only up to 800 or 900. That includes three meals and two snacks. I finish the day full, but I'm worried that I'm not getting enough calories. I've been eating a lot of turkey products (ground, bacon, etc), chicken, and vegetables since I'm staying away from white carbs. Do I need to eat more red meat and dairy products?

What is so hard?
    Eat a burger, peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something - anything to get your calories up.

It's not like we suddenly forgot how to eat.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options

What is so hard?
    Eat a burger, peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something - anything to get your calories up.

Rude.
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    English Muffins and low fat cheese cheese fill me up in the evening. You don't want to go into starvation mode because your body will start storing fats
  • nnapieralski
    Options
    Actually, it is hard for me. I'm sensitive to red meat and think peanut butter is gross.

What is so hard?

• sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    dress up a salad. 1 oz of cheese 110 cals. add an egg 90 cals. fat free dressing 40 cals. add some sunfolower seeds or nuts to it or cranberries too.
  • nnapieralski
    Options
    Thanks PeaceLuvVeggi. I agree.

What is so hard?

Rude.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how you are not hitting your calorie goal, mine is 1200 and I always have to work out because I go over it regularly.. I Can't see your diary but add some nuts or nut butters (unless you are allergic), cheese, granola or more fruits.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I would recommend full fat cheese or maybe a glass of milk, full fat salad dressing, or nuts...When I was on WW and had to fill points I would have a few peanuts.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options

What is so hard?

Rude.

Its not overly rude, its true!!! 1200 calories a day is NOTHING!! and seriously how can 3 meals and 2 snack equal 800 calories!!??? are the main courses water?!
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

You're not doing low fat AND low carb are you? Throw some oil in the mix. It'll help.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Personally...I wouldn't worry...if you are eating three healthy meals and some snacks as well and feel good and have energy...DON'T WORRY.....they are all guides on here...listen to your body!!
    I'm the same...often only around 900-1000 and I feel great!!!
    ENJOY and all the best!!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is hard for me. I'm sensitive to red meat and think peanut butter is gross.
    So, what do you like?
    How did you get overweight and what did you eat?
    Treat yourself once per day on something you like.

I'd love to have that problem...
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter - About 180 cals for 2 tablespoons - its a high cal mark but the rest is really good for you!

Meat goes like this (high --> low) I think: Pork, Steak, Beef, Ground Chicken, Whole chicken, Turkey

Try regular bacon - low carb, high calorie. Do you log what you drink as well? Orange juice, for instance is mostly high cal high carb - but these are GREAT carbs/sugar - they wont hit you anything like a slice of white bread... I promise!