..SORRY(not accepting friend request at this time :/ ) ...W

Options

Replies

• MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ok i think almost everyone missed the end of his statement i believe they were asking why and how does this make others feel?
    Plenty of us expressed why we limit out friends lists.
    Frankly i think it is kinda weird cause aren't we here for the support and motivation from others to make our journey more enjoyable? I know that's why i joined.
    So, should we have to add anyone? Aren't we all free to choose who we would like to have along with us on our fitness Steve perry?

I never said anything about adding everyone but its easy to reject or decline it
    yes but it seems like the poster was kinda attacked because they were curious and i dont feel that was right
    And i would never put something like that cause frankly i dont have to talk to everyone on my list but stories are motivational and i also love everyones recipes!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I never said anything about adding everyone but its easy to reject or decline it
    It's even easier to let everyone know that you aren't accepting requests. :drinker:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It's even easier to let everyone know that you aren't accepting requests. :drinker:
    I agree - that being said, even though I have the note there, I still get a lot of requests. Probably 5 in the last hour alone. And every one of them has gotten a message from me offering to provide feedback/advice/support if they need something specific, letting them know some principles that work for me, and explaining (again) that I'm not accepting new friend requests.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I agree - that being said, even though I have the note there, I still get a lot of requests. Probably 5 in the last hour alone. And every one of them has gotten a message from me offering to provide feedback/advice/support if they need something specific, letting them know some principles that work for me, and explaining (again) that I'm not accepting new friend requests.
    Wow. You are a saint. That is going above and beyond.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are a saint. That is going above and beyond.
    Where do I pick up my halo?
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Okay ... First off no shade thrown(no disrespect) to anyone that has this message on their profiles because everyone has their own reasons for this also their own right to privacy!!! ..With that said!

I was of course browsing through topics and came across a person and their view on something and thought ..wow this would be a interesting and encouraging person to get to know and get advice from. Well the first thing I seen was the NOT ACCEPTING FRIEND REQUEST sign!!! In my head the first things were said were "Um wtf!! ...Do people really do this?? ...Is there some kind of don't touch celebrities section in MFP I wasn't aware of?? ...Is there an audition policy going on here??:huh: " ... Needless to say I was taken aback by this:grumble: lol.

My question is has anyone else experienced this? Or has anyone had someone question them about their "not accepting friend request" sign?

OMG, I am literally laughing my butt off on your post. You have beautiful sarcasm gf.

Katie
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Okay ... First off no shade thrown(no disrespect) to anyone that has this message on their profiles because everyone has their own reasons for this also their own right to privacy!!! ..With that said!

I was of course browsing through topics and came across a person and their view on something and thought ..wow this would be a interesting and encouraging person to get to know and get advice from. Well the first thing I seen was the NOT ACCEPTING FRIEND REQUEST sign!!! In my head the first things were said were "Um wtf!! ...Do people really do this?? ...Is there some kind of don't touch celebrities section in MFP I wasn't aware of?? ...Is there an audition policy going on here??:huh: " ... Needless to say I was taken aback by this:grumble: lol.

My question is has anyone else experienced this? Or has anyone had someone question them about their "not accepting friend request" sign?

I never thought I'd want or need to put this on my profile. However, as your friends list grows, you simply feel you can't keep up with all the posts on your status feed and you feel like you aren't supporting your friends enough. That is why I put mine up - but I still feel like I can't say no to a friends request.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Because next thing you know you end up with 274 friends and then it's hard to keep a rapport with everyone.
    Been there, done that. Culls are such a big deal for me.

That said. I accept FRs, but culling takes place from time to time. I see ppl here I want to be friends with (and some I think I was), it's nothing personal. If we are to love everyone equally we would have over 7,000,000,000 friends. Who has the time, really !

There goes another 5 minutes, but worth it IMHO !

These two things exactly. I'm seriously considering putting up that notice in my profile because I'm horrible at declining requests. But honestly, right now I have way too many friends, it gets overwhelming. Hence the periodic culls.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have never posted that on my page. I have reach my goal, but if i can encouarging one person who is trying to lose 1 pound or 500 pounds.i will be there.:smile:
  • blueandigo
    Options
    mj-laughing.gif
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It sounds somewhat "elitist" when someone says they are no longer accepting friends requests.

It's not. Just a question of how much time you are able to devote to MFP.

I have been on Maintenance for more than a year now. Although I have deleted most of my inactive friends, it is still difficult to interact with everyone on a regular basis. I know how much the support meant to me when I was struggling. I remember how important it was. That's why I have difficulty turning away friend requests. But I do have to turn most requests down.

I was spending more time on MFP than on other important aspects of my life. When that became apparent, I cut almost all of my feeds.

Just like dieting, it's a matter of balance. Please don't think those people who have put "no friend's requests" on their profile are rude or snobbish. Not necessarily the case. They may want to share and be supportive, but their time is limited.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i bet if you had huge melons they would say yes!
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options

what does produce have to do with anything?
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    If people don't want to be added, then that's their choice. I don't think it has anything to do with being an "elitist". There are many people on this site, so no sweat you'll bump into other "cool" people.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Some people want their "friend list" very small (myself included) so they can actually support and encourage the people they interact with.

FOR ME - I can't imagine trying to keep up with 50+ people and genuinely taking an interest in all of their diaries, activities, successes and struggles. The people I have as friends are usually around the same age, weight or we share a common interest that is important to us - Like minded people.

Good luck with your journey.

:flowerforyou:

well said... n that is why i dont add ppl that dont send a msg with their add... even a simple "hey im cutting/bulking and want to ask you a few questions..." this way i know that one time or another ill be working towards a same goal n both will benefit as it will get a little competitive with results..
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Because next thing you know you end up with 274 friends and then it's hard to keep a rapport with everyone.
    ^this
    im actually debating going through my list, as i feel its gotten too big for me to comment on everyones posts the way id like to. having 40 friends kinda snuck up on me
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

what does produce have to do with anything?

thats slang talk for "public diary"
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

^^^^ These beautiful melons are on my friend list ^^^^

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Seems strange to me. I would think that:

A. Do people really get THAT many friend requests that they can't take the time out to write to each one and say they would like to keep their friends group small, or limited to only people they know in real life? I get a friend request like once a month.....hmm, or maybe people just don't want to be my friend :noway:

B. If they ignore the friend request, are there seriously people out there that get their panties in a wad over a complete online stranger on a fitness site not accepting their friend request?
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have seen this before and it doesn't upset me. I understand that it can be hard to keep up with a lot of MFP buddies so it makes since that some people want to keep there friends list limited so they can be a great MFP supporter. I don't like the judgemental posts about her picture though, why do we feel the need to make comments like those. We should be trying to support each other. That said it is true sometimes you have more in common with some people on here than others and it helps if your goals are similar. :)