size 6 is the new plus size?!??

Options

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 2 I tried on my mother's wedding dress from 1956 and it wouldn't button. Too tight. Dunno what size it was but I don't think it would fit me even now, that I'm the oh so hated (LOL) size 0.
    Working in the uniform industry, I see how sizing on civilian clothes is totally different than uniforms. I'm a size 8 in uniform pants yet wear a 0 in regular clothes. I'm a large womens in that type of clothes yet and XS in civvies. Its just vanity sizing.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure people should accept everyone for who they are.
    Imagine how bad this is going to be girls growing up nowadays thinking they need to be a size 2 or 4... going to absolutely wreck peoples' selfesteem.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Guys, plus sized MODELS are held to a different size standard then the everyday woman.
    In other words, I highly doubt you'll EVER find size 6 in the plus size section in a department store, but if a size 6 woman tried to get a job as a model, she would be considered a plus sized model, because standard runway sample size is an American size 2.

That still doesn't seem ridiculous though?

So-called plus sized models get more work now then they EVER have. It's all semantics, and not a reason to get up in arms.

But if they aren't actually plus sized, it doesn't really mean much.
  • weigbuck
    Options
    I am 5'11" and when I was dealing with an eating disorder in college and people were telling me I looked too thin I never got below a size 8--that is unless I would have had surgery to shave down my hip bones. I really do hate the emphasis we put on clothes sizes in this culture. I think this emphasis sets society up--especially our girls (I have three of them all with different body types)--for dysfunction. I'm up for healthy and a good long life--that's what I want to model to my girls to go after and that is why I'm here at myfitnesspal.com. However I'm not weighing myself in. I'm just disciplining my daily choices with restraint and balance so I can move each day more towards healthy. Through my work I have been able to hear the testimony of former Victoria's Secret model -- Nicole Wieder who said exactly what we all know-- most of the runway models have such pressure on them that they starve themselves. And even then--the most beautiful models that are out there, the photographers still airbrush them to look even thinner and flawless. Nothing is "good enough." Next year 4 will be the new plus size. Wouldn't it be cool if the only models that people could include in magazines were actually a healthy height to weight ratio? Wow , we would create a whole fashion revolution, wouldn't we? As for this girl...I'm going to continue to enjoy life in my plus size pants knowing God didn't make me to fit into anyone else's mold. After all I'm far more huggable;)
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    When I was a size 2 I tried on my mother's wedding dress from 1956 and it wouldn't button. Too tight. Dunno what size it was but I don't think it would fit me even now, that I'm the oh so hated (LOL) size 0.
    Working in the uniform industry, I see how sizing on civilian clothes is totally different than uniforms. I'm a size 8 in uniform pants yet wear a 0 in regular clothes. I'm a large womens in that type of clothes yet and XS in civvies. Its just vanity sizing.

At military school I was a size 16 pants and at the time a size 8 in real life so I know what you mean! Vanity sizing does affect a lot but I still don't think a size six is big enough to be considered "plus size"--especially at the height of a model.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I had to do a little more digging
    Cindy Crawford's measurements in her prime: 34B"-25.5"-36"
    Random current Model, Sigrid Agren: 31.5 – 22 – 33.5

Current Model Requirements according to the Association of Modeling Agents:
    Recommended measurements: 34-24-34
    http://www.associationofmodelagents.org/become-a-model/getting-started-as-a-model.html

So it looks like Cindy Crawford is a little too hippy......
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Guys, plus sized MODELS are held to a different size standard then the everyday woman.
    In other words, I highly doubt you'll EVER find size 6 in the plus size section in a department store, but if a size 6 woman tried to get a job as a model, she would be considered a plus sized model, because standard runway sample size is an American size 2.

So-called plus sized models get more work now then they EVER have. It's all semantics, and not a reason to get up in arms.

Hence the "so-called". It's a fashion industry term that people freak out over. Purely semantics. Bigger (by model standards) girls are getting work now that they'd never have gotten even 5 years ago, which is AWESOME!

I work in Hollywood...where image is everything, and gaining 10 lbs can mean unemployment...it's not fair, it's total bullsh!t, but it's how it is. When I dabbled in acting (as a street size 6) I was told to lose weight MANY times, and it sucked...but the casting directors aren't the ones to blame. If the public quit buying it, we'd quit selling it. Bottom line.

That's where good parenting comes into play when trying to help your children develop a healthy body image. The entertainment industry =/= the real world, and the sooner people learn that, the better.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Is it because size 6 today is bigger than size 6 from the 80's or 90's? Still, sounds a bit over the top to me.

Absolutely! My wedding dress in 1968 was a size 10 (I was 5'9" and weighed just under 130. My trim size 6 daughter (5'8" and weighing about 120-125) had trouble squeezing into my wedding dress. So I do believe that dress sizes have changed--a lot.

Clothing from the 60s is cut a lot smaller in the waist. Old clothes were cut with a 10 inch gap between waist and hips. Nowadays it is more like a 7-8 inch gap between waist and hips.

Even clothes from the late 70s. I can't fit into my mom's size 8 wedding dress, and she was 127 pounds and 5'4'' when she got married, same as me.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think there's a general warped perception about weight and body type in general. That's disgusting, might as well propel mechanical skeletons down the runway.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    If you watched the whole segment it was aimed at men. 6 <
    > Inches is the new plus size! :wink:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

At military school I was a size 16 pants and at the time a size 8 in real life so I know what you mean! Vanity sizing does affect a lot but I still don't think a size six is big enough to be considered "plus size"--especially at the height of a model.

Uniforms are brutal. I have to comfort my customers when they're first being fitted for their Class A's and B's, its that horrible. But yeah I was a size 6 when I was 125lbs. That IS NOT plus size.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    THIS is hot.. and is not a size zero. Yes, probably a six: http://www.kaboommagazine.com/userfiles/kaboommagazine.com/Cindy-Crawford-76.jpg
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

Hence the "so-called". It's a fashion industry term that people freak out over. Purely semantics. Bigger (by model standards) girls are getting work now that they'd never have gotten even 5 years ago, which is AWESOME!

I work in Hollywood...where image is everything, and gaining 10 lbs can mean unemployment...it's not fair, it's total bullsh!t, but it's how it is. When I dabbled in acting (as a street size 6) I was told to lose weight MANY times, and it sucked...but the casting agencies aren't the ones to blame. If the public quit buying it, we'd quit selling it. Bottom line.

That's where good parenting comes into play when trying to help your children develop a healthy body image. The entertainment industry =/= the real world, and the sooner people learn that, the better.

I know, people should stop buying the magazines but we don't. I almost never do but I never really have, maybe thats why I don't have poor self esteem.

If we stopped buying them, the industry would listen :)
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you watched the whole segment it was aimed at men. 6 <
    > Inches is the new plus size! :wink:

LOL XD
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Is it because size 6 today is bigger than size 6 from the 80's or 90's? Still, sounds a bit over the top to me.

Absolutely! My wedding dress in 1968 was a size 10 (I was 5'9" and weighed just under 130. My trim size 6 daughter (5'8" and weighing about 120-125) had trouble squeezing into my wedding dress. So I do believe that dress sizes have changed--a lot.

Clothing from the 60s is cut a lot smaller in the waist. Old clothes were cut with a 10 inch gap between waist and hips. Nowadays it is more like a 7-8 inch gap between waist and hips.

Even clothes from the late 70s. I can't fit into my mom's size 8 wedding dress, and she was 127 pounds and 5'4'' when she got married, same as me.

weird.. because
    my mom's wedding dress= size 6
    @ her wedding she was 5'7", 120 pounds

I am a size 6 dress, and I can fit into it.
    I'm 5'8.5" and 133 pounds

her dress is 30 years old...

DRESS SIZES AND PANTS SIZES are two totally different things...
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

Uniforms are brutal. I have to comfort my customers when they're first being fitted for their Class A's and B's, its that horrible. But yeah I was a size 6 when I was 125lbs. That IS NOT plus size.

Yeah I was freaking out and confused when I kept having to go back to get a bigger size! They reassured me too, and the thin lady helping me try everything on told me she was a size 14 in the uniform pants, which calmed me down a lot. And my shirts were all huge on me everywhere because they measured by bust size, and since I am busty but have a small waist they made me look like a box :( I can't say I miss the uniforms much ^_^
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been a size 6 in my life.

I came out of the womb a size 8 and kept growing.

Looks like I'll be plus size forever

hahahaha
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

weird.. because
    my mom's wedding dress= size 6
    @ her wedding she was 5'7", 120 pounds

I am a size 6 dress, and I can fit into it.
    I'm 5'8.5" and 133 pounds

her dress is 30 years old...

DRESS SIZES AND PANTS SIZES are two totally different things...

Yep, in dresses and shirts I'm an (australian) 12 and in pants a 16
  • whiteviolett
    Options
    The media has the power to influence what we believe is 'beautiful'. Every week there's a new magazine article calling an already skinny celebrity 'fat', I saw one the other day calling Jessica Simpson fat. She's not fat, she's PREGNANT! apparently Tyra Banks is fat now too. well if she's fat then what does that make me?!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Typically size 8 is considered plus-size in runway modeling. Size 10-12 in editorial print modeling unless it's catalog modeling. The "plus-size" models they have on Top Model are about a size 8, but since the other girls are like size 2-4, they do appear to look heavier than that.