What was your 'AHA' moment?

Options
2»

Replies

• jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an old highschool friend's wedding and honeymoon photos. She looked great, and I thought about having to suffer through having friends look at my wedding photos. I knew then that I wanted people to tell me I was a beautiful bride- and MEAN it. I didn't didn't want to look back and feel guilty about how I looked in my wedding pictures. I know that sounds really shallow. But it's true.

Thats not shallow at all, I totally know how you feel. I was a hefty bride (212lbs :sad: ) and every picture I look at I cringe.

I hate looking back at my wedding photos, at my chubby bubby self.

Glad I'm not the only one! I can't wait until me and my hubby can get some nice shots done once I feel okay with myself in pictures :)
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    When I was driving and I looked down and my stomach stuck out further than my chest :frown: When I looked in the mirror and saw the back fat, belly fat, and how tight my sleeves were on my arms. :embarassed: When I would get out of breath going up the stairs in our one story house :ohwell: And when my neice told my sister "Mommy, aunt Cheryl needs to lay off of the doughnuts, doesn't she". :embarassed: And when I bought a size 16 jeans and I was around the 200 lb mark. I'm only 5'5". Then my fiance proposed and I thought to myself, this will be my first and only wedding and I want to look beautiful, I want to live long, and raise a family. And I became determined to lose this weight.:smokin:

I was sick of having such low self esteem and not feeling pretty and hating what I saw when I looked in the mirror. I'm still not where I want to be, but have come a long ways. I have lost most of the fat but I'm still soft. So I've been adding in my strength training and I can actually see SOME abs there. Well kinda sorta :ohwell: :laugh: I'm getting there...takes time....but I'm gonna stick this out and make it a permanent lifestyle for me :drinker:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Mine was when I realized that no matter how hard I sucked in, the back fat was still there. :grumble:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Last March on vacation when someone asked if I was pregnant:grumble:
    I came home and started the C25k. It really helped my stomach go down.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an old highschool friend's wedding and honeymoon photos. She looked great, and I thought about having to suffer through having friends look at my wedding photos. I knew then that I wanted people to tell me I was a beautiful bride- and MEAN it. I didn't didn't want to look back and feel guilty about how I looked in my wedding pictures. I know that sounds really shallow. But it's true.

Thats not shallow at all, I totally know how you feel. I was a hefty bride (212lbs :sad: ) and every picture I look at I cringe.

I hate looking back at my wedding photos, at my chubby bubby self.

Glad I'm not the only one! I can't wait until me and my hubby can get some nice shots done once I feel okay with myself in pictures :)
    That's true. I was also really adamant that I didn't want to wear one of those dresses made to flatter larger women. You know what I mean... I had a dress in my head and that was NOT it. Ya'll should have some new photos taken with your men, call them "love photos" when you get to your goal weight. You can put them up around the house and then you son't have to look at the other ones as much. Plus photo shoots are like.... WAY too much fun, lol.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    My coworker her is training for a competetion I saw her in street clothes rather than scrubs and it gave me the motivation to really hit the gym..

I already knew what I had to do (I have been trying to lose the same 20-25lbs since last year) But seeing how much her body had transformed in 3 months was the kick in the *kitten* I needed--

when I lost my first 30-35lbs I just saw myself and became disgusted so I knew what had to be done and I did it-

Now my new goal is to drop 20lbs and if Im not happy I will make a new goal. But as of now things are going great I got serious on Feb 8th with hitting the gym- But on Jan 29th I started trying to get my calories in order
    Since the 8th of Feb I workout 4-5 days a week at the gym I stay within my calories everyday haven't gone over yet- 1400-1600 calories and I am down 7lbs--
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Mine came when I stepped on the scale and it said 297 lbs. I couldnt believe it and decided there that I was not going to hit 300 and I wanted to lose half of my body weight at least.

Connie
  • hesalive
    hesalive Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Being a bit overweight all my life, I had a wrong body image, so to me 190 looked the same as 290. My moment came this fall when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets, I realized that what I ate in a day would feed this family for a WEEK. I was embarrassed at my size, embarrassed at my gluttony, etc. That was my AHA moment.

Wow! That is amazing. And so true. Thanks for sharing that.

My AHA probably pales in comparison...but it's mine and it's what made me get in gear, so I own it.

Christmas 2008....the 2nd Christmas in a row that I wouldn't let anyone take pictures of me b/c I didn't want my chubby face & chubby belly recorded! :blushing: And I thought .... wow, I'm willing to forgo memories with my family during such a special time just b/c I don't like the way I look. :cry: So, I decided enough was enough. Once the 1st few pounds came off, I got really motivated.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Being a bit overweight all my life, I had a wrong body image, so to me 190 looked the same as 290. My moment came this fall when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets, I realized that what I ate in a day would feed this family for a WEEK. I was embarrassed at my size, embarrassed at my gluttony, etc. That was my AHA moment.

Wow, that took a lot of guts to say.... :flowerforyou: for you!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Mine AHA moment was when I had been asked the fourth time if I was pregnant. The first three times were from kids between 7-12... The last? Someone at the grocery store.... That did it right there... :grumble: