too embarassed......

Options

Replies

• nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't let small-minded idiots control the way you feel about yourself or your body. It's your body, your business, and your right to be wherever the hell you want with it.

If they don't like it, they can take themselves elsewhere.
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why dont you bring the gym to your house? i brought my cross trainer from this site like ebay for 80 dollers.. way cheaper.. and i usually do 30 mins to 1 on it while watching my favourite t.v :_)
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Dont feel that way. You are an amazing person and dont let anyone keep you from doing what you want. If anyone makes fun of someone, they are only doing that because they are insecure and dont feel comfortable with their body. Just know, you are never alone, you have us all for support and we believe in you. If anyone does say or do anything disrespectful, u let me know and ill beat them up.
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    My Mum told me of a friend of hers who felt the same about going out to exercise. What she did was go out in her work clothes, but with trainers on then walked fast/jogged a little with her work shoes in her hand. She said it made her feel like she looked like she was just late/running for the bus and helped her to keep going until she felt comfortable in exercise gear.

When I started running, I used to take the dog to the beach - it was winter and snowing and so I wore so many layers of clothes I looked like the Michelin man (in wellies too) I must have looked like a lunatic but me and the dog had fun and it gave me that wee bit extra fitness that helped me get going in less clothing as the weather warmed up.

Go for it. More people will appreciate you making the effort (if they even realise) than will judge you. And any idiot that judges isn't worth the time of day - you're already a better person than they are!
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    Just go for it. There will be those who may judge you, but prove them wrong, by showing you can do this. There will also be those that you inspire & impress, especially when you start showing results. Good luck. :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I agree with this post, :) their will also be bigger people than you at the gym :) We all have to start somewhere. Maybe try and get a friend to go with you that might make it easier. I use to not go gym and think I was too fat to go but the more you go the better you will feel.
  • eclecticwingtips
    eclecticwingtips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dont feel that way. You are an amazing person and dont let anyone keep you from doing what you want. If anyone makes fun of someone, they are only doing that because they are insecure and dont feel comfortable with their body. Just know, you are never alone, you have us all for support and we believe in you. If anyone does say or do anything disrespectful, u let me know and ill beat them up.

hahaha you made me laugh thanks!
  • misslucha
    Options
    In my experience, whilst it might be scary.. I don't believe I have ever ONCE judged someone who's been big for going to the gym. What kind of person would you be to judge someone for wanting to better themselves? I know it's easier said than done, but the gym is one of those places where I can guarantee you, everyone is more concerned with their own workout and themselves than to even pay attention to what other people are doing!

Get your baggy clothes out (which is what I am doing at the moment also... none of my clothes are tight) and start small. Even if it IS walking for 10 minutes at a time. And before you know it, you'll improve and be able to go longer and further each time. Baby steps!

All the best of luck to you. :)
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I do my workouts at home. You would be amazed at how good of a workout you can get with your own bodyweight and some dumbbells. Don't let feeling embarassed stop you from achieving your goals. I have lost 40 lbs. Total20 since I started using MFP and have done all of it at home and by going for walks. I have belonged to Gyms before and had a hard time keeping up with a plan because it was hard find time to get to the gym. Just remember that you can do this and there's a lot of other people in the same boat as you. Good Luck.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    dont worry what others will think of you or let them stop you doing what you want to do, i have been running outdoors / gone to the gym @ 250lbs which is not a pretty sight and nobody has ever bothered me, if they dont like to look at me, i couldnt really give a *kitten*!!
    most people in the gym are too interested in their own workouts to even notice other people, nobody will be thinking 'she is too fat to come to the gym', if anything they would think 'she might be fat but good for her for working out'!!!
    if its really that bad, try getting a workout dvd or something for home, or go for walks when there is not many people around :)
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I take my dog for a walk every day. On weekdays, we leave the house by 5.45 and get back just over half an hour later. Before joining MFP, he tended to get only 20 minutes in the mornings. It crept up to 25 minutes, and then 30 and now 35 minutes (much longer on the weekends).

Because we go early, we don't see many other people out walking. It is lovely going for a walk in the mornings - a great start to the day.

Apart from working in my house & garden (which I must admit involves a lot of digging/weeding), walking is the only exercise I've taken since joining MFP 4.5 months ago. In that time I've lost about 15 kg (33 lbs), and gone down in inches too.

So there is no need to go to a gym to lose weight and improve fitness. Even people who are much fitter than I, manage to do their exercise at home.
  • Galletakek
    Options
    Everyone feels like this at first.

Go.

you are doing this for you screw the haters and mire's.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    i agree with all of them. have you tried curves though?
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    The thing you need to think about people exercising is - maybe they used to be embarrassed and shy about their weight... but they've been doing it longer!

I used to feel the same, I was ashamed of my body - i felt I'd let myself go and didn't want anyone to see me not in a hoody or coat. but then I saw this girl I knew from a few years previous, and she'd lost a ton of weight, looked really healthy and happy and I thought that's what I want!

I've gone from being 6st over weight to losing 2 st of that in 4 months, I plan to keep going cause to me its a lifestyle thing now :) might even get to the point that I do a charity walk or jog for race for life - some thing I'd never of dreamt of doing 12 months ago

How about looking at the success stories on here, think to yourself - that's what I want and use it as your motivation.

Mini goals help too (in one week I want to walk around my local area, in two weeks I'll lengthen it by 5 minutes... so on until you build up to jogging or attending a fitness class (water ones are good as people can't see what's under the water, can't see you sweat either - main thing is go at your own speed but don't judge yourself by other people - its got to be what's right for you!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed! The longest journeys begin with the first step. To hell with the people who would look down on you for trying to better yourself and get healthy. Those people are always going to talk, just let them and don't be bothered. I know, easier said than done, but just throw some headphones in, block everyone else out and do what you need to do for yourself.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Since it's the winter, you could walk laps in the mall and you can even do that before the stores open because they keep the main mall doors open early.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am too embarassed to join a gym... or even go for walks outside. right now im getting exercise walking around my house.

its stupid I dont feel like people are looking at me normally. but I feel like if I was in exercise gear they would all be laughing at the very fat girl

tyour not alone, i feel like that too, i hate the gym and i work out in my house mostly with dvd's, even when i walk i dont wear fitness clothes, i just wear something comfortable untill i've lost enough weight to feel confident enough and im still losing weight

one of the problems is that i have said so many times that im on a diet or exercising that i think people think 'oh here she goes again attempting to lose weight' so this time im being very discreet and its actually keeping more focused

dont let it get you down or make you give up, just do what you feel comfortable doing :)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I felt this way about swimming for years and one day I was just like, you know what, I am getting fit and forget anyone that is laughing at me. The results have been great and it was worth it. If they are laughing at you, it means that are sad on the inside.

Oh and i have lost over 100 pounds over years and only had a gym membership for about 3 months of that. A gym is not needed if you don't want to go x
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    To heck with what those kind of people think. There are plenty of people who will applaud you / think positive thoughts about you getting out there and getting started on making a better you! We've all been unhappy with ourselves at some point (those on this site, I mean) or we would not be here! You can do this - and there are plenty of positive people here willing to support you! The longer you stay inside hiding - the longer before you really get started on improving you. Best of luck to you on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • eclecticwingtips
    eclecticwingtips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    its summer here. and today was 37 deg c. that over 100 f. tomorrow will be even hotter

because of this a gym is my best option. I dunno maybe ill go look at some tomorrow
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I can relate to how you feel. When I first joined the gym I was over 400 pounds. I felt like the odd one out because nobody looked like me. Yet 62 pounds lighter I know it was the best decision I ever made! It cab be scary but you can do it!!