too embarassed......

Options

Replies

• goodhealth2012
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is a great option if you want to walk but also want to stay inside. There are lots of videos on youtube as well so you can try her out before you decide if you want to buy the DVD's. You can change the intensity by lifting your feet higher etc so it's a great option!

Good luck!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As other people have suggested, if going to the gym, or putting on workout clothes bothers you that much, just walk outside in normal clothes or do basic exercises or DVDs at home (I used to do yoga in my PJs at home).

When I was bigger, and when I was first a "normal" weight, I felt self-conscious at the gym, like people would know I didn't really belong there, but I made myself go, and even on a college campus, full of thin young people, not one person ever said or did anything mean. Also, my always thin, fit husband once remarked to me that when he sees overweight people at the gym, he always admires them because he imagines it must take a lot of motivation to go work out if you're really out of shape. So keep in mind, the people you might think are judging you, may actually admire your courage and motivation.
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options
    Maybe trying doing a few laps of your backyard first? That way when you feel you are ready to join a gym, you will be a bit more confident in what you are doing to not feel as though people are looking at you.
    Or if you join a gym, have some earphones and listen to music, that way you can focus on your breathing and the music and hopeful that could distract you? :)
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Your feelings are understandable... A gym is not the nicest place to beging our journey of losing weight. They are full of over muscled people and most of them keep looking at themselved in the mirrors for hours!

I recommend you to begin with www.c25k.com to improve your cardio and then complement it with TRX suspended training device... it is working amazingly great with me and it will also work for you. You can train TRX everywhere, literally.

So, dont be embarrased and begin your journey in your own, later on you will love going to the gym!
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    I put on a lot of weight when my husband got cancer...when I was ready to get out of the house and loose it I felt the same way. I was embarrassed to even go to family get togethers, grocery store or walk outdoors. I bought a DVD called "The Woman's Walk" with Leslie Sansone (sp) It was very simple walking moves you can do inside your home and they are very effective! No getting on the floor or jumping but simple walking moves that help you burn fat fast...after I lost a lot of weight doing that I got my confidence back and was feeling so much better about myself I started walking outside..you may want to look into some walk at home dvds....Her dvds are at a good price too..10.00 - 20.00 each. I know we should not worry about what other people think but that is easier said than done...Good luck on your journey! If you need help just hit me up! :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Buy a wii and get the wii fit plus. It's fun!!!
  • gabadabadoo
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - it took me a long time to make myself join again, though I had been wanting to for about a year - but the thought of being seen fatting and sweating in public kept putting me off (though all the while the kilos kept getting put ON). Lame!

I finally made myself go, and it has been fine, as it was always going to be - and getting past the first visit, and going back regularly has meant I have got over myself and got some confidence too. But to be honest, most people are just focused on themselves, and trying to survive their workout (well... at least, I am...).

If anyone is actually going to judge us for trying to get fit, they are the losers to be pitied!
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you , I'm really shy so what I'm currently doing is walking really early in the morning from 30 to 80 minutes a day. When I feel like I'm ready to go to the gym , I plan to join it.
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    Here's a link to a beginner resistance band workout. If parts of it are too hard it can be modified. When I first started out all I had was some resistance bands and a DVD that I got from walmart. It was a series of band exercises and as your fitness improves you just add another circuit. It was easy and worked really well some bands with a door anchor is enough to get you on your way.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-resistance-band-workout/
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you don't have to join a gym/wear exercise clothes to exercise. I make sure I wear something cotton and easily washed under my work clothes, so that when I work up a sweat on my walk home, the expensive wool items don't get ruined. I loathe gyms with a passion, but I'm happy to walk from place to place in my daily life. Put on some normal clothes and a decent pair of comfortable shoes, plug yourself into an mp3 player or similar (I have a pedometer app on my iphone, so I can see how many calories I'm burning off - great motivation - at the same time as playing music) and go somewhere. I find it difficult to find the motivation to just walk around the neighbourhood, but have no problems using my feet as transport to get me around - maybe this would work for you too. Good luck!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I prefer to work out at home no time restraints... do it when I want last night exercised in my slippers. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Aw don't be embarrassed! I used to be embarrassed to run outside too, especially because in the neighbourhood I live in, I know a lot of people. I used to think everyone was looking at me run while they were driving by. The truth is that they probably didn't even notice me.
    Remember that most people who are going to the gym/working out are too focused on the task at hand to notice anybody else around them. They're there to do what you're doing - exercise, get fit, lose weight etc. You shouldn't feel embarrassed for trying to better yourself!
    I also really like at home workouts, like pilates, workout DVD's and youtube videos (bodyrocktv is really good). So you could try them out if you don't want to go outside. Good luck :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I cant walk for more than 10 minutes at a time right now with a lot of ba ck pain and getting out of breath.
    I am glad I am doing this and im not going to stop. I want to go to a gym or something but right now the very thought is just O.o
    You want to know the great news? You don't need a gym yet, if you get out of breath after ten minutes walking, you just need to walk for ten minutes.

When you first start getting fit, you make a lot of progress very quickly, walk for ten minutes in the morning, do the same at lunchtime and before dinner and I bet that this time next week you'll be able to walk for twelve minutes!

The back pain must be tough to deal with though, if that doesn't feel as if it's improving it might be worth seeing the doc.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am too embarassed to join a gym... or even go for walks outside. right now im getting exercise walking around my house.

its stupid I dont feel like people are looking at me normally. but I feel like if I was in exercise gear they would all be laughing at the very fat girl
    And what if they are?
    Sure, there will be mean people everywhere you go.
    That's reality.

The solution to this is not to shrink from life at the expense of your health.
    BUCK UP!
    Get out there and just keep saying to yourself "I am working to reach goals" - keep that mantra alive, and it will drown out those little voices telling you "they're laughing at you little fat girl".

Sometimes our own head voices are 100 times meaner than reality - believe it!
    In fact most people will think kindly of you in that you are doing something to help yourself.

EXAMPLE: My wife and I were riding somewhere and this HUGE woman was lumbering along jogging, and I remarked "check out the walrus", and my wife just jumped all down my throat. So, even if people are mean, remember, that others will be your defender. And I felt terrible for that by the way.

Most people have these weak moments of meanness, and it's more about them - not you.
    So, forget being afraid. GET OUT THERE, reach your goals, then you can conquer the invincible enemy: your own nature.

Good Luck To You

All Is Possible!
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We bought equipment off craigslist for what we would've paid for one year at the gym for the two of us. Half of our basement is now a gym.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have just spent 30mins bouncing about to Wii Zumba in my front room, I'd never go to a class because I'd be the one jiggling about out of time and getting all hot and sweaty in the process. I feel a bit daft even on my own at home but it's a good workout and I feel better for doing it :)

If you are in a Zumba class and you are not the one jiggling around getting hot and sweaty....then people will look....

I love the thought of people watching me run, I imagine I inspire everyone last person who sees me....they say "wow, look at the fat girl run, she is really moving...if she can do it so can we"
  • stormydaze_02
    stormydaze_02 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Please don't be embarrassed. I started off at 130kg and have lost 30 so far. I've been on my journey for around 8 months now, and initially i was so unfit i was buggered after a short walk. I slowly built up my walks to around 1 hour per day and probably lost around 15kg just by walking and watching what i ate. I too was avoiding the gym, so i bought a wii and a few fitness DVD's. I absolutely love My Fitness Coach: Dance workout (took a while to get the hang of it!) and My Fitness Coach: Get in Shape. These DVDs combined with the walking really improved my fitness level drastically, so by the time i joined my local gym i had lost almost 20kg. At first i wasn't able to do many of the exercises (like starjumps) but gradually i've been able to do more and more and now i can keep up with most of the others at the gym and i feel great! I'm finding that i keep motivated because i love feeling fit and finally i'm starting to see some definition. Anyway, i wish you well on your journey!!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    At my YMCA we have Water aerobics classes, and suprisingly I am the smallest person there (at 220lbs). All of the women there wear bathing suits and shorts. If you can find a program that can offer something you want to do that is easy on your joints, believe me I know that can be an issue, go for it. When you take the first big leap and start to see results you will get excited about exercising and can move to the other equipment - like a slow paced treadmill. Another option is always a home gym which has pros an cons (my con was that I just sat on the couch looking at the treadmill instead of getting on it).

And as other people have said most everyone is too focused on themselves to worry about anyone else at a gym. Personally I have avoided places like Gold's Gym and American Family and opted for the YMCA because the environment there is much more community based and positive than what I expect at "big box" gyms.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi, I see you are in Australia, hopefully you might have a backyard? I started my exercise by walking around the back lawn 10 times, that took me about 5 minutes. So now while I wait for my kettle to boil or my coffee to cool, off I go and walk around my back yard. I even do it in my nightie sometimes, and try and do it a couple of times a day. Sometimes I walk only a few laps, sometimes more Moving does make you feel better. You may have heard of the Washing Line lady - i think she exercised by walking around and around her washing line. For non-aussies, google "Hills Hoist" :-)

I also go for walks with my husband but I just wear baggy trackie daks, and good shoes - make sure you wear supportive shoes so you don't injure yourself. Walk in the evening when it's harder for people to see you anyway if you feel embarassed?

Marching on the spot is another thing you could try.

I hope you find some ideas here and some support to know you are not alone, and you can do it - one step at a time. :smile:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for a stationary bike?
    That's how I started out; with a second hand stationary bike. I would read or watch TV while I rode it. Before you know it I was riding through and entire TV program, (it took my mind off how long I was going).
    When I finally went to a gym, I went to one that was ladies only, (in my case Jazzercise). They were very welcoming and supportive. Now I also have a "full service" gym membership and I realize that people are more into what they are doing than in inspecting the new people.
    You can do this. Please hang in there.