Oatmeal for Breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I add frozen blueberries and a tablespoon of toasted, sliced almonds and sometimes cinnamon. I also buy plain oatmeal because the instant varieties have too many calories and its overprocessed. You can eat twice the oatmeal for the same calories and you get more fiber (and stay full longer) if you make it from scratch. I use 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon of nuts and up to 1/4 cup fruit. Oh and I sweeten it with Splenda instead of sugar. Microwave for 1 minute 40 seconds. :) That makes a big bowl of oatmeal. You can do the same with 1/4 cup oatmeal if you want to eat less.
  • Bee_B
    Bee_B Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have most mornings for breakfast. I make mine with 1/3 cup dry oats, 2 tbsp wheat germ, 1/3 - 1/2 cup of chopped apple, 25g of raisins, about a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 2/3 cup of milk (I either use coconut milk or 1% if I'm out of coconut). I microwave it for 2 min 20 sec and let it sit for about 10 min afterwards to cool down and thicken up. I love my oatmeal really chunky and I don't add any sugar as I find it is sweet enough from the apples and raisins.

I have also made it with mashed banana or chopped pear instead of apple.

I definitely want to try it with peanut butter or Nutella. That chai oatmeal that a previous poster mentioned sounds yummy! :)
  • mtnderf
    mtnderf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed Meal. Add 2 tbs to your bowl of oats, for a nice nutty flavor and great Omega-3 essential fatty acids. If you are trying to improve your cholesterol with the oats, this helps too.

Cinnamon.

Raisins.

Beaten Egg White. While the oats are cooking, beat one egg white really well. If you can get it to turn white and foamy, that is perfect. Then, stir this into the oats right before you take them off the heat. Get your good lean protein with your oats.
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    Splenda, cinnamon, and diced apples!
  • BellaRoma10
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday whether it is for breakfast or lunch. Lately I've been topping it with non fat greek yogurt, berries and sliced almonds... yummy!
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    i was thinking this question this morning and cant wait to try these ideas
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cook steel-cut oatmeal on Sunday for the entire week... I just heat and eat :) I never have to think about what to eat and as such I am never tempted to eat BREAD... my biggest vice.

This weeks oatmeal was cooked with an apple (cubed), six dates, vanilla and cinnamon... it was yummy!

Keep those recipes coming... I love changing up my oats :)

I need to try this! I usually do old fashioned oats, but have a bunch of steel cut that I haven't put to use yet.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually just do maple syrup and cinnamon. I've read some stuff about adding whey protein power to make flavored oatmeal, but, I've yet to try it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I eat cream of wheat (which is very similar) and its not very good without something. I usually try to eat fruit with it, but most of the time I put a dash of Stevia in it. Stevia is a bit costly, but totally worth it if you can't stay away from the sweets.
  • melissa_leah
    Options
    frozen peaches, berries, whatever... and cinnamon!!
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat it every morning, plain made with water...weird I know but I like it that way
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    - Vanilla protein powder and berries
    - Chocolate & Peanut butter - cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder, peanut butter drizzled on top, and sweetener
    - Cherries & Chocolate - cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder and frozen cherries (defrosted) and sweetener
    - Banana Nut - cook banana with oatmeal and add walnuts on top
    - Apple Cinnamon - Grated apple and cinnamon, vanilla, nuts (sometimes)
    - Pumpkin Pie - pumpkin puree (not pie mix), pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and sweetener
    - Peanut Butter and Jelly Oats - fruit preserves/jam , smooth peanut butter or peanuts crushed on top
    - Carrot Cake Oats - grated carrot, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and sweetener
    - Chocolate Coconut - cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder, vanilla, shredded coconut, and sweetener