Brown rice question

Options
How do you cook brown rice so that it isn't crunchy and/or gummy? I have a steamer and it came out gummy. I tried in a regular pan and it was crunchy.

Or is that just how brown rice is??

TIA!!

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I cook brown rice all the time. It is 2 to 1 for water/rice. So 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of brown rice.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you want, here's a recipe from Alton Brown that I've been using lately and it's made in the oven. It comes out so good and my family loves it.

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the rice into an 8 inch square glass baking dish.
    Bring water, butter and salt to just a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine and cover the dish tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    the best is when it comes out slightly crunchy, it's a whole grain product so I assume it should be chewy
    i eat about 1 and a half cups of brown rice everyday btw
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You need a sauce pan with a tight fitting cover.

1 cup dry brown rice
    2 cups water

Cover, bring to boil, turn down to simmer, 45 minutes, do NOT open the cover. Works every time ~ best of luck!
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    If you want, here's a recipe from Alton Brown that I've been using lately and it's made in the oven. It comes out so good and my family loves it.

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the rice into an 8 inch square glass baking dish.
    Bring water, butter and salt to just a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine and cover the dish tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

I <3 Alton Brown!
  • 22Kelsey22
    Options
    cook in a covered pot with water - I use 1:2 ratio rice to water
    it takes about 45 min to cook, taste the last 10 - 15 min until it is the texture you prefer
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I <3 Alton Brown!

Me too!

Honestly, I buy the Uncle Ben's minute brown rice and follow the microwave directions (I'm lazy, especially during the week). It usually comes out pretty well.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    cook in a covered pot with water - I use 1:2 ratio rice to water
    it takes about 45 min to cook, taste the last 10 - 15 min until it is the texture you prefer

I don't use a lid and that's all i eat at home.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I <3 Alton Brown!

Me too!

Honestly, I buy the Uncle Ben's minute brown rice and follow the microwave directions (I'm lazy, especially during the week). It usually comes out pretty well.

I do this too, but I cook it on the stove. It comes out good.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I'll have to get some instant brown rice and I'll try the oven method for the rest of the bag that I have.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If it is cooked right, it is supposed to be a little crunchy. It is not the same as white rice. If it is gummy, you cooked it too long.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My rice cooker makes it gummy, too, and I don't like that.

I put two cups of water to one cup of brown rice in a skillet. Let the water boil before you put in the rice. Some people wash their rice before they cook it, but I don't. Let the rice simmer till it's just almost soft and most of the water is gone. I usually have to add another half a cup of water before it starts to get soft. When it's almost soft enough and most of the water is out, turn off the heat and put a lid on it and let it steam for a bit. Then, fluff with a fork.