What did your parents feed you when you were a kid?

2»

Replies

• sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    southern comfort foods, Fried chicken, mashed (boxed) potatoes, mac n cheese, corn, buiscuits and honey, and then there was the pizza, fries, fish sticks burgers, chips donuts and many more snacks.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    My mom had her token 10-12 homemade meals that she would cook, but many boxed and canned items in between those meals. We actually NEVER had fresh fruit or vegetables or even frozen...always canned. Big Top Orange mix for drinks (orange flavored sugar)..................................We lived off HFCS most of the time. I'm the mother who cooks all dinners from scratch, but with a PICKY daughter.....so I take the things she likes and tries to make them as healthy as possible. Luckily, she loves fruit and vegetables(steamed or raw) and dairy products (milk, cheese & yogurt)...............it's just getting her to eat meat that is a problem. I make my own homemade chicken tenders for her and she loves eggs. I just worry about her iron levels.

Oh and typical dinner from my dad when my mom worked the evenings: Mac n cheese (boxed) and fish sticks (frozen). BLECH!
  • Tons of junk food and anything i wanted lol.

My mom was a little more strict but i was my daddys baby and he let me eat whatever iu wanted.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Everything. We got home cooked healthy food, home cooked unhealthy food, junk food, and fast food take-out. My parents seemed to have the philosophy that "food was food" and it was all fair game. Candy. Fruit. Cake. Green Beans. It was all available and we were allowed to eat ad libitum. Which didn't turn out so well, given that we usually preferred the things with the most sugar and cheese...
  • My mother usually fed us lots of vegetables and fruit but there was also kraft dinner, instant noodles, hamburger helper, crackers, pizza, peanut butter sandwiches, lots of vegetables for dinner with meat (only sometimes) and mashed potatoes, cereal, pancakes, lots of sweets, fast food, icecream, instant juice mixes, kool-aid, etc.. She did what she could, I was an extremely picky eater when I was young. A lot of what we ate was quick/easy and I was brought up being told to clear my plate when it came to dinner time which always bothered me.

As of last year we both decided to lose weight together and changed our diets and we've both lost a good amount of weight.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Oh wow I can relate to this! I grew up on junk with my mom. I have to give her a bit of a pass because she was a single mom and all but we ate junk 24/7. Mac & cheese, hot dogs, ramen noodles, kid cuisine, oreos, Mc Donalds, etc. :sick:

Her diet is still just terrible. She won't eat an avocado because it's "too fattening", but she's pound an entire bag of fat free pretzels with fat free dip.

Thankfully I spent a lot of time with my grandmother and she taught me how to cook.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    My mom worked all the time. No lie, my dad would hand my brother and me 5 dollars each and we could get what ever we wanted for dinner. We ate a lot of Domino's pizza.

School lunches, and cereal for breakfast. If we wanted a cooked breakfast like eggs, we had to cook it oursellves.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    I ate so poorly. They fed me fried everything. The cereals were high in sgar...and I ate a lot of prcessed foods. I did eat frui and veggies too, but it was nothing compared to the bad stuff I ate.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    I lived with just my mom growing up, and we weren't very well off. It amazes both of us now to think about how little food we used to eat. For dinner we would often split a can of soup or a package of ramen between the two of us.
  • Tons of crap. Pot pies. fast food. Bologna sandwiches. Kool Aid. Candy. My parents got married at 19 - they were kids themselves! Kid food, for sure.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    very traditional english foods for most of my childhood, all good home cooked meals. Very big home cooked meals
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    My siblings and I were fed homemade everything:
    home grown beef, chicken and pork, garden vegetables, fruit from nature, nuts picked out of the woods, eggs from hens,
    homemade bread, jam, canned or frozen vegetables, wild game shot fresh, fish from rivers and ponds, fat rendered from meats
    I never had a fast food meal until I was 16 and could drive.... still not a big fan
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Breakfast: Pop Tarts
    Lunch: What do you mean Macaroni and cheese is NOT a vegetable :noway: Hot dogs were our "protein"
    Dinner: My dad cooked a lot of our meals from scratch but not exactly healthy. He's an awesome cook! We had a standard menu during the week.
    Sunday - roast; Monday - hash if any roast was left over, if not spaghetti; Tuesday - Hamburger patties; Wednesday - Mom cooked so hamburger helper came into play; Thursday - fried pork chops :love: (my weakness) ; Friday - was mix it up night always something different; Saturday - let's just say we could call Domino's and tell them we wanted the usual.
    There were always sodas in the house along with sweet tea and kool-aid.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    We were living in poverty. I was fed the cheapest chicken nuggets, deep fried chips, cheap pizzas, discount bottles of pop, sausages and burgers. I think that was about it. All the things that cost £1 for a bag of 40, 50, 60, 70...you get the idea...bulk buying because it was ridiculously cheap to do so.

I was a scrawny kid because I didn't eat loads. We got that stuff, but we never had 'too much' of it. Then, when I was all trained that those were the foods I really liked, that it was rude to leave food on your plate and that I should eat whenever I could because we didn't know when food would be around, I got let out into the 'real world' with my own income and the opportunity to shop and eat as much as I liked. Of course, I went with what I knew, but now I could afford plenty of it!