dairy, inflammation and autoimmunity

Options
Has anyone heard of the connection between dairy and autoimmune issues? I read a brief comment linking them in a Paleo book, and have just done a few quick searches online which bring me to "The China Study" on nutrition and disease...anyway, I have a rare autoimmune rheumatoid disease, and I have read and had several friends suggest I cut out gluten and dairy to see if it helps me feel better. I am trying it now, but have only been free for 2.5 weeks, so not enough to notice yet...I was recently discussing it with a doctor friend of mine and she has a concern about calcium intake for women qho cut out dairy when they don't have an allergy to it. This is something I need to pay attention to because at 33, i am borderline osteoporosis due to the medications I've been on for the last 20 years... anyway, any information or ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What about Calcium as a supp?
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My friend was just saying that calnium is absorbed and used much better in natural food forms...
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and soy milk are both super high in calcium.

Good luck to you!
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    When I was pregnant and nursing I couldn't diary because the baby was highly allergic. The dr told me tofu was a good calcium source. Mix a pack of soft/silken tofu with peanut butter, coco powder, and agave necture and you have a great and healthy peanut butter pudding
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I've been using almond milk, but completely have not paid attention to calcium in it... anyone know much about the link between dairy and inflammation? Besides if you are completely allergic/intolerant?
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a protein in milk being a possible trigger in Crohn's disease which is an autoimmune disease. All of these theories are just that theories. You can try cutting out all dairy and seeing if you feel better.
  • Olivia_Diana
    Olivia_Diana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis and find that cutting dairy out makes a difference. Have a look at Peta's website on the vegan section or other vegan websites. Plenty of people who are vegan/dairy intolerant find it in other foods such as leafy greens and almonds. As someone said above though, most soya etc. has calcium added to it.
    Good luck!:smile:
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had some serious boughts of eczema ever since I was a kid. I've learned over time that too much dairy REALLY makes my eczema act up. I recently went to an allergist to see if maybe there was something I was eating that would cause my eczema to flair up when I wasn't consuming dairy. Well, I still don't know, BUT the second the allergic poked me with the cows milk it started itching like crazy, so he said I'm definitely allergic to milk, though I'm not lactose intolerant.

Apparently it's common for dairy to affect eczema (which IS an autoimmune problem). I still eat cheese and cottage cheese and yogurt on occasion but I try to keep it in moderation. And ALMOND MILK is the best!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My sister is allergic to peanuts. Point? Some things don't set well with some people. Some are lactose intolerant and some can't handle wheat products. Right now modern western medicine is on the anti-inflammatory kick now. I stick by one general concept and that's to avoid processed foods at all costs. Cheese, milk, dairy have awesome nutritional benefits. Eggs are one of the most nutrient packed foods in the world yet because they come from animals are considered inflammatory food. Soy is a horrible choice and when was the last time you put almonds in a blender and got almond milk? I view nut milks the same way i view vegetable oils. I'm not using either because they weren't made by nature. I love cheese and it agree's with my digestive tract but it doesn't for everybody. Good luck in your nutritional adventures.
  • Mrs_Slusser720
    Options
    What Autoimmune disease do you have? I am interested because I to have one and maybe this will help me with my symptoms as well.
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and try to avoid dairy. I supplement milk (calcium) with a daily multivitamin and dark chocolate almond milk. It's SOOO good.
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, both drmercola.com and draxe.com have a lot of info about dairy and gluten being inflammatory. Both strongly believe in eating real, whole foods and if you do have dairy, only raw, unpasteurized. A wealth of knowledge can be found on their sites. :)
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I find dairy causes me to feel congested. I have been tested and I am not allergic. However, I can tell when I have had too much. The China Study was a fascinating read. You can get calcium from alot of other sources besides dairy... where do you think cows get their calicum from?
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have MS and currently I have been gluten, dairy, processed sugar, legume and red meat free for a little over 2 weeks and I can tell a significant improvement in the way I feel. It's not been easy or fun, but with MS anything I can do to feel better is a huge plus!
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had chronic pain (muscle, nerve, stomach) and couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. It was horrible ... for years.

I finally cut out all grains -- everything -- and in a couple weeks was completely pain free and I've started losing weight. As for dairy, I only have about a T in my tea, and I'm not much of a cheese person, so I haven't really thought about cutting it out entirely. I'm sharing this b/c I think there is something to the paleo/primal approach to eating.

Check out Dr. Terry Whaller (Wahler?)'s talk on youtube called "Minding Your Mitochondria" to see how she cured advanced MS with a change in diet. For some of us, this kind of approach works miracles.

Good health, everyone!
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been looking autoimmunity and nutrition. Have you watched Forks over Knives. It's worth a watch. That and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Anyways, the China Study is featured in Forks over Knives.

Osteoporosis is highest in countries with the highest dairy consumption, so no you don't need your calcium from dairy. You're on the right track. I have an autoimmune disease and have linked it's outbreak to my foray into primal eating. As soon as I started filling myself up with animal protein and fat I got an autoimmune disease. I'm not saying that was the only cause, but I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

Ever since I started eating a plant based diet my autoimmune disease has been getting better. Mine is called Lichen Planus. It causes a rash on my torso, arms, and legs. The latest little outburst has been 1/4 what they have been in the past. I'm convinced it will clear completely within the year. It pays to take time to research nutrition and disease prevention/treatment through whole foods and a plant based diet.

I'm not looking to argue this with anyone. As someone who has tried it all from low carb, to all meat, to vegan and everywhere en-between I've found what works for me. I'm just suggesting you look at all the possibilities to find what works for you.

I get calcium from almond milk, and green leafy vegetables. I try to juice at least once a day, though I've slacked for the last few days. :)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I just was talking about that diet with someone. I will have to check it out
  • For 13 years my hands have itched and cracked so bad that they would bleed. The past summer I started having severe stomach pains. I am uninsured but forked over the moola to go to the dr and she said simply "cut out dairy". I did and within 1 week for the first time in 13 years my hands didn't wake me up with pain at night, my stomach, bloating - everything cleared up. I don't know if I would ever be able to afford to have more testing but all I know is without dairy I feel 100% better.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of dairy being an issue, but gluten is certainly inflammatory. So are tomatoes. As for calcium, make sure you also gets enough vitamin d as it helps your body absorb the calcium, and don't overdo the iron since that can block calcium absorption.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I recently started seeing a Naturopathic Doctor who immediately told me to cut dairy out of my diet due to some digestion, inflammation, and 'slow to heal wounds' i had from surgery. it has helped a lot. she said a lot of the allergens in dairy can spark inflammation in our tissue and cause some serious long term effects.

just sharing what she told me - GOOD LUCK! :)