dairy, inflammation and autoimmunity

Options
2»

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I switched to lactose free skim milk, and I've had no problems since.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Dairy is problematic for most of the world. The ability to digest lactose is actually a mutation that is most commonly found in people of western european descent. Most of the world's population (and all other mammals) are lactose intolerant. (There is no lactose in breast milk that mammals consume during infancy). If lactose makes you ill, its wise to stay away from it. That being said you should notice a difference quickly once you eliminate it.

Gluten isn't necessarily a problem either unless you have a sensitivity to it. One of the best things to do is keep a food /symptom journal. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of autoimmune diseases are completely unrelated to diet.

Also, I would be wary of anything I read in a Paleo book. Serisouly... they recommend lard! May have worked for dinosours (although a lot of those were vegans) and farmers who spent 12 hour days plowing and working their fields. Probably not so good for the average American that toils at the gym 5 hours a week.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've had some serious boughts of eczema ever since I was a kid. I've learned over time that too much dairy REALLY makes my eczema act up. I recently went to an allergist to see if maybe there was something I was eating that would cause my eczema to flair up when I wasn't consuming dairy. Well, I still don't know, BUT the second the allergic poked me with the cows milk it started itching like crazy, so he said I'm definitely allergic to milk, though I'm not lactose intolerant.

Apparently it's common for dairy to affect eczema (which IS an autoimmune problem). I still eat cheese and cottage cheese and yogurt on occasion but I try to keep it in moderation. And ALMOND MILK is the best!

I had never heard of this! Thanks for the tip! I have noticed that since I started eating much better and cut out a lot of the dairy I was eating--cheese is my vice--that my eczema is much better. I used to get biggish patches in the area of my elbows and on my forearms each winter. The past winter and this winter, I've only had patches about the size of a nickel on each arm in the elbow area. So much improved. I also have had problems all my life with my fingers cracking open in the winter. Last year I had only about 5 cracks the whole winter. This year so far, I've had one. ONE! I used to have as many as 12 or 13 on ONE HAND at the same time in the past. I truly believe that eating better and more balanced is the reason it has gotten better. I wonder if dairy has anything to do with that too?

Edit for spelling.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I met with a Homeopathic doctor who recommended that I no longer have any dairy and caffeine. My biggest complaint when I saw him was always feeling bloated, he told me to switch to almond milk. He also made mention of The China Study, I did what he suggested...I noticed my bloating went away. The other thing I noticed from removing caffeine was that PMS went away, no tenderness in the breast and no cramps. Of course I find it hard to stay away from caffeine, when I'm drinking it again I notice my symptoms (PMS) will return. It's definitely worth trying to see how your body responds.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have to follow a gluten free diet among other things I am not supposed to have and dairy is one of them. I have found Almond Milk to be my favorite substitute. I have also tried rice milk, but don't find it as good and it's not as thick.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    yeah I've heard that people who are sensitive to gluten are usually also sensitive to dairy and this might cause other autoimmune issues to flare up. I'm planning on getting tested for the gluten sensitivity because I have a couple of issues that all seem related to it (from what I've read). I plan to do some more research as time permits.
  • mayellers
    Options
    In addition to calcium found in foods, you can get a good calcium based supplement that is of PhytoVitamins form. Go to Whole Foods. You could also visit a Naturopath or a really good nutritionist. I have inflammation due to wheat/gluten. And, changing my diet and taking really good vitamins and supplements has helped me tremendously. Good luck.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the homogenization process (which makes the milk consistent throughout, not in separated layers like is natural) creates a new molecule that closely resembles one that we have naturally in our body. Our body cannot tell the different very easily and over time will start attacking the proteins that are supposed to be there, hence an autoimmune disease.
  • teresastrowz46
    teresastrowz46 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i have one as well...i haven't found certain food to cause a flare but i definitely would be interested in hearing if things have helped or hindered
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I notice in some of the responses that some people are starting to argue against certain approaches and don't have all their facts straight. I know this is normal in a public forum like this.

I just want to say to people who suffer from chronic conditions or who just don't feel great that the thing I've learned is that you have to do research and not take for current ways of thinking about nutrition and what is currently considered the norm for granted, like it's a given. In fact, what is currently considered "healthy" (like whole grains) may be causing your symptoms. Everyone reacts differently to things, and I think if you read enough and experiment with some things and go to your dr for tests to see if things are moving in the right direction, that you can heal yourself.

For me, I think it's a miracle that we can heal ourselves by eliminating certain things from our diets and perhaps adding in others.

For me, there is no medical test that says I am sensitive to grains. But all I did was given them all up -- corn, rice, whole, white flour, etc -- and I healed myself after suffering for nearly 10 yrs. This is amazing to me.
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To Darlis- I saw this on the news about MS and thought I would share with you. The news reporter had her "silver" fillings removed and has been symptom free. Here are the links but if you don't want to click on the link, you can go to www.fox17.com and type multiple sclerosis in the search bar.
    http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/features/health/videos/vid_385.shtml
    http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/features/health/videos/vid_350.shtml
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your amazing stories, thoughts & ideas! I have definitely tried many things over the 20 years since I was diagnosed. The disease I have is called Eosinophilic Fasciitis, it is similar to scleroderma, but it is very rare, and i don't follow any pattern at all, so it's hard to know what's to come. Every day is painful, all over my body. The eosinophils, one of the white blood cells, attacks the fascia covering my muscles tendons and ligaments, and it tightens and hardens everything. I also have asthma, allergies & a skin discoloration related to scleroderma called morphea. While I said I have tried many things, I have never eliminated any food groups, my doctors never suggested it, and I was too busy going to rehab & trying to keep up with school & keep my eyes open, etc....so we'll see

As I said, I've only cut out gluten since Jan 2nd, so I have a ways to go to see if it really will help; I am also trying to stay away from sugar - it's a terrrible downfall of mine & I'm trying to stay away from processed foods...I had cut out dairy, but then have had some things that have had bits of dairy in them, so I haven't totally cut dairy out yet...
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try liquid Magnesium (Peter Gillham's Natural Calm). Useful for numerous things but one thing in particular that it helps with is muscle tension, spasms and cramps. I don't know if it would help but it's worth a try. :)
  • kmbhoya2000
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out!!
  • kmbhoya2000
    Options
    Ordered some today to try, thanks again!
  • martydavey5
    Options
    Dairy contains at least 2 components with autoimmune issues. One is casein. It is one of the 2 largest proteins in cow milk. This feeds cancer cells. If you put cancer cells in a petri dish and add casein, they will eat and grow until all the casein is gone. Add more casein, increase cancer growth.

The second is Insulin-like Growth Factor-1. Humans have IGF-1 in our system. However, it is in an amount we have been able to handle. You are taking the growth liquid from a cow which is meant to grow a 60 pound calf into a 600 pound cow in 6 months. This means the IGF-1 in bovines is of a much higher amount and will push for growth in your cells. Which cells? Well, if you have any cancer cells they will be pushed to grow.

The Nurses Health Study showed that milk consumption paralleled cancer incidents. Also, dairy has been linked to lupus, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Dementia, Heart Disease, Breast/Prostate/Endometrial/Ovarian and Esophageal cancers. Instead of increased consumption equals decreased osteoarthritis and wrist/hip fractures, the opposite was true. The worst bone health is where the most dairy is consumed, not just in the US but in every country studied.

Other than that, drink up.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from inflammation and was told by a RN to eliminate dairy. She also told him to incorporate daily use of organic turmeric. Turmeric and flaxseed apparently keeps inflammation at bay. My husband says he can tell a difference since making both changes - eliminating dairy and adding turmeric/flaxseed.

Wishing you the best.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy because I have an allergy/intolerance/sensitivity to casein, a milk protein, and it caused me to have a post-nasal drip and sinus infections my entire life until I recently gave it up. You can check out my diary for ideas on how to get enough calcium, although I have stopped tracking it recently because I always hit my daily goal! There are plenty of other high-calcium foods, including non-dairy milks and yogurts.