Eggs per week?

Options
So, I've been reading everywhere that you shouldn't eat more than 7 egg yolks per week, because of the cholesterol. Why exactly is that? If I have no problems with cholesterol (and I don't develop any, and I'm careful with the amount of cholesterol in other foods), is there any REAL reason why I couldn't eat more than this? Do any of you guys tend to eat more than an egg a day?

I'm just wondering, because I love eggs and could easily eat 12 - 14 a week. I don't really understand why I need to be so strict with eggs. They're really good for you, right?

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    That myth is not true.

Eggs are one of the most perfect foods around.

My husband, myself and our 2 dogs eat around 48 eggs per week.

Also, remember that the more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore in MOST people it will have the opposite effect and actually lower your cholesterol.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    Yaaaaaay! I'm so happy. IS there a limit to how many eggs I should be eating, though?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaay! I'm so happy. IS there a limit to how many eggs I should be eating, though?

No, eggs are very good for you. They are packed with great sources of fat, protein and vital vitamins and minerals.

I eat at least 21 per week by myself and sometimes more. I have boiled eggs for snacks and have a 3 egg omelette nearly every day.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Egg = the worlds perfect food.

Cholesterol in natural, clean, unprocessed foods does not raise your serum cholesterol.

Eat as many as you want.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I rarely eat more than six at a time. Mostly because I need room on my plate for the Bacon.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Do you believe everything you read?

If so, I am omnipotent, you are madly in love with me, and forever will do whatever I fathom.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I rarely eat more than six at a time. Mostly because I need room on my plate for the Bacon.

This.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

lol. awesome.

and thanks for this. i'm going to make like, 8 hard boiled eggs tomorrow for the week. great on the go snack.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

If so, I am omnipotent, you are madly in love with me, and forever will do whatever I fathom.

Damn...

I guess we should go out for drinks now.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    I eat 7 to 14 a week. I love eggs. Listen, I had a friend who believed in eggs. She lived to be in her 90's and was healthy and running everyplace she went until a few months before she died. She was a big egg eater and felt that was one reason she'd done so well with her health. I am sure though that a lot of it was genetics too.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Check your blood work the next time you visit the doctor. If there's an issue, make changes.
    Otherwise, do what feels right for you!
  • yojaseyrae
    Options
    i looove eggs at the moment, but i was wondering more about the protein if you eat looads of them, i mean, what happens if you eat too much protein?
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andrewthread
    andrewthread Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Egg White Egg Yolk
    Calories 17 59
    Fat (g) .06 4.51
    Saturated Fat (g) 0 1.6
    Carbs (g) .24 .61
    Protein (g) 3.6 2.7
    Cholesterol (mg) 0 210
    Sodium (mg) 55 8
    Calcium (mg) 2.3 21.9
    Vitamin D (IU) 0 18
    Folate (mcg) 1.3 24.8
  • LewisFishman
    Options
    I don't know if there really is a limit to the number of eggs you eat a week. Of course, like any other food, they can be overeaten. But I believe that most people not only could enjoy, but also benefit from, eating more eggs. Want more than one a day, or seven a week? Go ahead. Unless you have a medical condition which precludes you eating so many, I say enjoy.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I say if you like eggs, just eat them. I sometimes use one yolk and two whites when I make eggs.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options

Damn...

I guess we should go out for drinks now.

Damn, beat me to it. Oh well, I guess he's taken now :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Maybe you need a bigger plate.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    eggs are egg-cellent :) hahahaha..ok I find myself very funny but seriously I love me some eggs
  • missfluffyuk
    Options

This. Exactly. I'm so happy with this.