Need some help...

Options
I am new to counting calories- in the past I have just done low-carb and it works--- in the short run.

Okay, MFP says I have 709 more calories to eat before I go to bed. I feel like I had a great day of eating/gym and it is almost bedtime.

I know I am supposed to eat those calories, but REALLY? 709 more calories?

Fat me wants to go to coldstone. Logical me wants to go to bed.

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'd just have a light snack and go to bed. :)
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Always good to get some extra protein in there. Meal timing doesnt matter so dont worry about eating before bed.

Try to get some slow digesting protein like maybe some low-fat cheese? Nuts are also a good pick to eat before bed. I read somewhere that eating a handful of nuts before bed helps your metabolism whislt sleeping.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As long as you've eaten 1200 calories, you're good.
  • ShantaScruggs89
    ShantaScruggs89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So you have to use the whole 1200 everyday?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If it's just one day - don't stress about it, have a snack and a good sleep and plan better for tomorrow.

Yes, you should be eating all those calories - or close to them anyway. Your body needs energy to stay healthy and functioning and that comes from food - cutting calories too low puts you at risk of missing out on important nutrients. And if you cut calories too low for too long, you might find that your weight loss stalls because your body isn't getting enough nutrition and tries to hang onto all it can get.

I find it best to plan ahead for what I'm going to be eating tomorrow. I enter my meals into my diary first, then add snacks to get the numbers about right. If I exercise more I add more snacks or add extras (like avocado or cheese) to dinner. If something changes (like birthday cake at the office) then I just drop out some of the things I've planned to make the day balance out.

Try to finish the day with 0 calories remaining at the bottom of your diary - that means you have eaten enough to keep your body healthy and you have created a deficit so you will lose weight!
  • BlueEyes07
    BlueEyes07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow glad I looked at this. I didn't know I had to eat the whole 1200 either. I though okay that many less calories is a good thing. But that makes sense that if I don't eat them my body will only hold on to extra ones when I do eat again.
  • missfitjunkie
    Options
    Get you some natural peanut butter. I usually go to my local whole food store and make it straight fromt the peanuts. That way i know there is nothing in it. A spoonful not only gives you those extra "good" calories, but it is a nice filler before laying your head down on the "pillar".....

hope this helps!
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I typically am in the deficit. I work out late most times and burn usually a 1000 plus calories. I try to eat maybe 200 to 400 over my 1200 calorie goal. That way my deficit isn't too much. There is no way that I can healthily eat my goal and all my burned calories. This works for me.
  • effjay
    effjay Posts: 9
    Options
    I am new to this as well and this happens to me regularly during the week. Yesterday I had 1,202 calories remaining but at no point did I feel hungry.

I am really commited to making a change to my lifestyle and in the process lose inches & some weight if that comes along too so any advice would also be appreciated.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow glad I looked at this. I didn't know I had to eat the whole 1200 either. I though okay that many less calories is a good thing. But that makes sense that if I don't eat them my body will only hold on to extra ones when I do eat again.
    I thought the same thing originally, but finally realized that YES, you must eat at least 1200. I experimented and on weeks that I ate around 1000 cals, I hardly lost any weight and struggled through my workouts. When I up it to around 1400 the pounds drop off and I have no problems during workout.