Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard of C25K and it sounds awesome. I will be incorporating this into my workout routine for my non-gym days. It will help me train for the Warrior Dash (in New York), which is a race/obstacle course that I am participating in to help me reach my fitness goal.
  • fauxfatale
    fauxfatale Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!

I started C25K last April and at the time I was smoking and couldn't run a block. Now I run 2-3 miles a day 4x a week. I remember thinking I was going to DIE during some of those C25K weeks, but I did it and I ran a 5K successfully. I love that program and I'd recommend it to anyone!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and messages i feel quite humble that ive inspired some people :drinker:
    I started out at 315lbs or 221/2 stone and lost a stone (16lbs) through healthy eating my first attempt on a treadmill at 289lbs lasted all of 3min when i joined my gym as it hurt my shins so i opted for the elliptical trainer to improve my fitness

If i remember rightly i mentioned thinking about c25k in November 2011 when I was offered to be a running partner to Mary Kate I reluctantly accepted as shes a fit 27 year old and my instant thought was "shes just gona leave me way behind" so we both did our treadmill version of c25k on opposite sides of the Atlantic.............. youve heard the story of the hare and the tortoise Ha Ha LOL

I still have a long journey ahead of me as i need to loose around 60lbs, but with c25k im hoping to now burn the fat :bigsmile:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I got to the point in couch to 5k that I didn't want to walk, becuase I couldn't run again.... I have worked myself up to 50 mins of running, but lately just been working on my speed with 5k... I can do it in 44 mins :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    That is great work! I have been wanting to do it but am afraid. My treadmill does not make changing the speeds easy. But I might have to download the app and strap on my sneakers and go outside.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yay! I just finished week 8. I have never liked running so I was pretty happy.
    Congrats to you!!!!
  • paulwgun
    Options
    It took me about 55min to do 6.1k so on my next attempt I will do my warm up then reset the counter for the run just to see how long it will take, not looking to break any records just complete a 5k again hopefully :laugh:
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Paul that is FANTASTIC! We are all so proud of you!

You are especially an inspiration to me as I'm just starting C25K, tomorrow is W2D1.

That is awesome that you pushed through and ran 5k on Week 5. I too am dreading W5D3, right now there is no way I think I can do it. But you will be my inspiration when I get there!

Your wife and kids must be SO PROUD of you!!!!

Keep Moving!!! <-- my personal motto for 2012
  • susie6785
    susie6785 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Must have felt AMAZING :). I just started running myself...it's awesome seeing my endurance increase. Never thought I'd be running! Keep up the great work!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    A Dance to You!
    Your post has given me the kick I need to
    Get my Treadmill available.
    Had no clue about this.GOD BLESS YOU
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! Today is my first time hearing of the C25k and I'm not much of a runner but after hearing your story as well as others...I think I would like to give it a try. Thanks for giving me that motivational push I needed :flowerforyou:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm running at -35C. You can do it!

Pam
    great i am just thinking to start it. just now, the temperature is around 0'C, so I want to wait till it gets to 5.
    You are definitely great inspiration too :-)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you! Fantastic!

Pam
    yesterday i went to do week 5 day 3 of c25k and my ipod voice tells me today you are going to run for 20 min straight dont be alarmed you can do it ..................................and I say to myself OMFG I cant do that, Ill try what I can but will probably stop after 10 - 12 min ..........................19 min in and im feeling great im sweating like theres no tomorrow but the body feels good so i thought i will add an extra 5 min so it will be 25 min of running, its almost 25min and i notice ive run 4.1km and a light came on in my head saying "hey you may be able to do 5k here" .......................5k done i add a further 5min to cover my warm up walk and did 6.1km in all........Ive not run prior to this for about 35 years and no where near 5k I would like to thank a very special lady on MFP when i posted i was thinking of doing the c25k programme on a treadmill I had a message asking me to be her running partner .........................Mary Kate Kruger you are a diamond and i thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the boost i needed to get of my butt :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • floreo22
    floreo22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i'm just in week 2 of couch to 5k and loving it, but you've given me even more motivation and determination to succeed. congrats on your success, i can't wait to be feeling as great as you do about running!
  • paulwgun
    Options
    Once again many thanks for all your kind words ....................update ..................this morning up at 5:30 am to go to a spin class with my mate (in my mind im thinking "what the hell am I doing up at this time") so we set up the bikes and all the class is waiting when the receptionist comes in to tell us the instructors car had broken down and class was cancelled :noway:

My mate has done 1/2 marathons so he says "treadmill"!!!!! and I was going to leave it another day or two but what the hell lets give 5K another go .......................coming up to 2K i seriously thought I wasnt going to make it but fought through, then at 2.5K I seemed to relax more in my run if that makes sense

5K done in 47:48 ...............stayed on the treadmill for 1 hour of running and covered 6.4K that time will hopefully come down as i loose weight :bigsmile:

Anyone starting out on this programme ...................You can do it, just dont over do it and listen to your body ............look at the size of me in my profile picture if need be start by walking and increasing the distance untill you feel comfortable with trying running good luck and best wishes to you all :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    absolutely phenomenal... and very inspiring! i'm up to wk3 day2 tomorrow... please tell me at that point you thought you weren't going to be able to do the 20 minute run either! :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic work - well done!!!

I "quit" coach 25k at week 5 day 3 last May, when the next day my leg muscles tightened up so much I couldn't walk properly the next day due to back pain (that'll teach me not to stretch after!). It scared me off. I started it up again last week, and thought I'd be back at square one again, but nope, manager week 5 day 1 pretty easily. I've done it once more since then. Not feeling ready for week 5 day 3 yet, but I think I'll try and do my own made up one of two 12-15min jobs with a 2min walk in between or something similar.

How are you tracking distance? I use my phone for the app, and it wont run endomondo or anything at the same time.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Congratulations!

I too think the C25K program is brilliant....I am 52 and hadn't run since I was a teenager. I started the C25K last October and am still running.... I started in the park (thought I was going to die) then went on to the treadmill and now I sometimes run on the beach or in the gym.... I m still working on getting up to a 30 minute run... but I can do 20 minutes comfortably and on a good day I can run for 26 minutes straight, running about 3.2km distance.... I still sometimes have a bad day when i have to walk after 15 minutes.... for me it is a very big mental challenge to accept that I can do it.... and I am also pretty slow.... but I AM running and that is a great feeling!

I have just been away on holiday and although I did a lot of exercise kayaking and swimming I have not run for over a week... so I am a bit nervous about going to the gym tomorrow morning.... again a mental challenge for me... hopefully I will be fine.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Great work! That is a huge achievement.
  • 139pilotwife
    139pilotwife Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm on week 3 day 3. I have shin & leg muscle issues so I have found that if I repeat the week over again but try to increase the run pace the pain is less & it helps prepare me for the next week. It's also less discouraging & keeps me going just at a slower pace.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!