Slow cooker

Options
pascale485
pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
My boyfriend bought me a slow cooker this week end and now I am on the hunt for low-cal recipes.
I don't eat poultry so it is hard!

Anyone has any recipes ideas??

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How about chili with ground turkey or lean ground beef? I make mine with lots of veggies and beans. Tons of recipes online with lots of healthy options.:)

You could also make veggie soups in a slow cooker. I haven't tried this yet but plan to!
  • krambow
    krambow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I take frozen boneless chicken thighs throw them in the slow cooker, a can of chicken broth and taco seasoning. Cook all day, take chicken out, shred, take stock out (normally I will put through a mesh strainer to put the taco seasoning back into the shredded chicken), save, put shredded chicken back in, put a little of stock in until moist. Then use in chicken tacos, enchiladas, nachos, etc.

I have also done this with a pork shoulder (butt).
  • TeeRaceFisher
    TeeRaceFisher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lean chicken + salsa+ black beans + smidgen of low fat cream cheese + corn = DELICIOUS. you throw everything in there in any ratio you'd like, cook it on low for all day or on high for two-three hours and you're done. It tastes great on chips, rice, by itself, wrapped in a tortilla- and it's a great leftover meal, it lasts up to a week in the fridge.
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Pulled chicken or pulled pork

just put the meat in there season it however you like... and then cook on low all day and come home shred it and eat it on salad or buns or just plain
  • anglfce001
    Options
    Try crockingirls.com they have lots of recipes!!
  • boa74
    boa74 Posts: 18
    Options
    You can make anything in slow cookers, soups or stews (fish, beef etc). You can do roasts in there, curries etc and you dont need to add oil so it can be really really healthy.
    Look up some recipes online. Slow cookers are amazing!!! Such a time saver :-)
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    stew!! it is so tender - yummy!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com also has some great crock pot recipes! :glasses:
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has slow cooker recipes...I am actually going to try a slow cook pasta sauce tomorrow!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My wife wrote a slow cooker book with her sister about 2 years ago. It is part of the "Not Your Mother's..." series. They have a webpage that lists a number of the recipes for free and the book is full of them (obviously). Not all are low cal, but there are a lot of good ones. The bison chili is a great low fat one.
  • destiny364us
    destiny364us Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com. I tried their chicken taco chilli this weekend. It was amazing.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    1001 Slow Cooker recipes by Barbara Jones. Don't think they are all lo cal but a good start.

Slow cookers are the Shiznizzle! You can literally make anything in them. I like to put ground turkey (raw) with spaghetti sauce, and lots o veggies and leave for work. Guess what? When you get home, dinner is done! Throw some pork chops in there with some water overnight and again, remove the bones (if any) and you have pulled pork for sandwhiches, tacos, etc. Chili with ground turkey or shredded meat....limitless!!
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    allrecipes.com

They have tons of recipes and you can customize your search
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny, you said you don't eat poultry but most of the reply's are with chicken or turkey. Now I have learned some good ideas from their post's! There is a site called "MAKE IT FAST, COOK IT SLOW" I have the cook book and love it! Check it out, most of the recipes are with all organic or vegetarian recipes. The book even has breakfast recipes, made some great coffee cake the night before.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Always looking for more good slow cooker recipes. I found it is best if you don't over think it. Put a whole buncha' healthy stuff in the slow cooker (that you know will taste good together and turn in on low for 8 to 10 hours and then see if it works out, ... have some fun with it.
  • TeeRaceFisher
    TeeRaceFisher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my brain farted, I didn't see the part about no poultry! Sweet and Sour Meatballs (they are probably horrible for you....but soo goood) are good slow cooked, it's pineapple, soy sauce and frozen meatballs (either storebought or homemade)

There's millions of soups/stews that are great for slow cookers too- allrecipes.com is a good place to start.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    kraftfoods.com also has slow cooker recipes that are easy to make and their recipes generally give you the nutritional info on them so you know how many calories are in a serving. That is one of my resolutions this year is to use my crock pot more often!! So far it hasn't happened:)
  • anglfce001
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss!!!!
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been making a really good layered lasagna type dish with squash instead of noodles. (I'm not low-carb, but I tend to overeat lasagna so I wanted to make it lower calories.) I always do it in the slow cooker because I think the flavors develop more nicely.

I posted the recipe to my blog (since I made it and took pics recently) if you're interested. :)

http://leavingfat.com/?p=41