Slow cooker

Options
2»

Replies

• Jennie183
    Options
    Looking forward to following your picture as it takes up less and less sspace and leaves more and more space around you. Oooh the is great. You will be GREAT and I am following you.
  • Jennie183
    Options
    Fantastic! You are loock'n goood!
  • slc150
    slc150 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been making a really good layered lasagna type dish with squash instead of noodles. (I'm not low-carb, but I tend to overeat lasagna so I wanted to make it lower calories.) I always do it in the slow cooker because I think the flavors develop more nicely.

I posted the recipe to my blog (since I made it and took pics recently) if you're interested. :)

http://leavingfat.com/?p=41

Do you think I could do this in the oven too? I am already at work and was thinking this would be perfect for tonights dinner. =-)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Beef and Barley Crockpot Soup
    I found this recipe here on AllRecipes.com and barely changed anything. Nonetheless, here was what I did.

Ingredients:

1-1.5 lbs. chuck roast beef (thawed or partially frozen)
    1 cup (8 oz) tomato sauce
    4 cubes beef boullion
    1/2 cup uncooked pearled barley
    1/2 diced yellow onion
    4 cups water

Seriously, that's it!

1. Cube beef. The size of the chunks doesn't matter too much. I tried to do each just under a cubic inch, but the beef cooks so nicely that it really kind of falls apart anyway, so don't worry about the bites being unwiedly.
    2. Combine all ingredients in crockpot. I know, I love crockpots too. Set to low and let cook throughout the day. At least 5 hours, although mine sat for closer to 10 hours. Since mine sat so long, I added another cup of water when I got home. Salt and pepper to taste.

I served this over mashed potatoes, but that's just because I really like to serve soup over mashed potatoes. It's good as is, as well.

Makes 4 servings (about 8 cups)

Per serving:
    Calories - 425
    Carbs - 28
    Protein - 49
    Fat - 13
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    lean chicken + salsa+ black beans + smidgen of low fat cream cheese + corn = DELICIOUS. you throw everything in there in any ratio you'd like, cook it on low for all day or on high for two-three hours and you're done. It tastes great on chips, rice, by itself, wrapped in a tortilla- and it's a great leftover meal, it lasts up to a week in the fridge.

had this for lunch! Mmm!! I add some dry ranch dressing seasoning mix too along with some cumin and chili powder! My fiance adds red hot to make his spicy! :)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've done jambalaya, turkey chilli, pot roast, chicken breast w/ bbq sauce, whole chicken and some other recipes. IMO, my slow cooker has definitely been a good investment.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I make a lot of vegetarian slow cooker recipes. Two of my favorites are:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili/

http://www.raisehealthyeaters.com/2010/04/family-dinners-slow-cooker-veggie-lasagna/

Do a google search for low calorie crockpot or slow cooker recipes and you'll find a lot of ideas.
  • Jennie183
    Options
    Are the beans already cooked or do you throw dry beans in the pot? Soak first?
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    1 lb of 99% fat free ground turkey cooked and drained

1 can of organic light kidney beans

2 cans of organic black beans

2 cans of stewed tomatoes with zesty chilis

1 pepper chopped up

1 large or two small onions chopped up

1 pkg of chili mix

Cheyenne pepper (i use a 1/2 a teaspoon)

Put it all in a crock pot and let cook all day on low

Makes 10, one (1) cup servings

214 calories per cup

28 carbs per cup

2 grams of fat

23 grams of protein
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    We do the chicken and salsa, too. Yummy
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My wife wrote a slow cooker book with her sister about 2 years ago. It is part of the "Not Your Mother's..." series. They have a webpage that lists a number of the recipes for free and the book is full of them (obviously). Not all are low cal, but there are a lot of good ones. The bison chili is a great low fat one.

I was given this for my birthday last year, and I love it! What I hated about slow cooker recipes, is that so many of them have cream of something soup in them! Not this one! This is an awesome book with great recipes!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just made an African Sweet Potato Stew:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/african-sweet-potato-stew-with-red-beans-10000000701094/

I would check the stew after 5 hours or so. I did mine overnight, for 7.5 hours, and it was very very mushy. If this happens to you, just puree the whole thing; it will be different but still good.
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Do you think I could do this in the oven too? I am already at work and was thinking this would be perfect for tonights dinner. =-)

Oh yeah, definitely! I bet it'll still be fantastic!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I was given this for my birthday last year, and I love it! What I hated about slow cooker recipes, is that so many of them have cream of something soup in them! Not this one! This is an awesome book with great recipes!!

I use 98% fat free cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup instead of the other cream soups as a healthier alternative.
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump