Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    don't worry about hurting my feelings - i'm tough!

the pay thing really wasn't the point of all this - people keep bringing it up. we're in one of the lowest paid states, and i think we get a pretty sweet deal as far as pay goes.

but you generally don't catch conversations at the grocery store starting with, 'those damn mechanics,' or 'those damn lawyers', or 'those damn car salesmen'. but a lot of people are just hating on teachers like crazy, and i don't feel that it is deserved. people can hate unions. they can hate no child left behind. they can hate the directives that come down from washington. but placing all of that negativity on actual *teachers* is just misguided and sad.

not all teachers are wonderful, sure. but we're not all satan by a long shot!

I know you're tough.

Just like many professions, Teachers choose their profession because of a passion for what they do. I am sorry that some are feeling underappreciated.

On the flip side of that, however, I believe it is up to the Education system to give our children a good foundation. Teach them to read, write, ciper and socialize. The basics. At least K-12.

Beyond that, I believe it is up to the community and the families to take care of our special needs students. When I say community, I don't mean mandating programs and taxing the middle class, I mean help out your neighbor, your friends, your community. That's where we are falling short.

If a person's kid can't pay attention in class, is disruptive or unresponsive, don't punish my child and take his/her time away to babysit Little Johnny.

Yep, all my girls are through K-12. One left in college. 8 more years, at least. I can tune most of the chatter out now. In college, no one wants my input anyways. As long as my check clears.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My sister taught middle school for a year after getting her Master's degree in education, and it sounded like an awful job. The school was overcrowded, her classroom was in a basement, the kids could barely read or write, and many of them had severe behavioural problems. Not a single one spoke English at home so there were communication problems with the kids and especially with their parents-- my sister speaks Spanish pretty well but only knows a smattering of Portugeuse, Hindi, Manderin, etc. She had to buy most of her own supplies and spent a lot of her free time grading assignments and preparing for classes. Then the state cut education funding and she was out of a job. These days she teaches preschoolers for less than minimum wage with very long hours.

I honestly do not understand why people are so against paying teaches. It is a very hard job and you need at least a Bachelor's degree (usually a Masters) in a specialized field to even be considered for a teaching position.
  • 78islegirl
    Options
    I love how you just are able to tell the truth. Some people do not want to hear the truth, nor do they even care. I am a English Education major right now. I see your passion for children and education. My hat is off to you! Our world needs more people like you!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I honestly do not understand why people are so against paying teaches. It is a very hard job and you need at least a Bachelor's degree (usually a Masters) in a specialized field to even be considered for a teaching position.

I don't think anyone's against paying teachers, just against pay awards and protection that bear no relation to the real world!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think all government employees have the same protections teachers do (minus the vacation time, but that's not part of a benefit and really doesn't cost the taxpayers anything actually it probably saves them money because they don't have pay to ac buildings, transportation, etc). If you want the protections and benefits of teachers, become a government employee.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    I think everyone involved in education gets stereotyped (teachers AND parents)...how often do you hear people say "parents just don't care anymore".."they want the system to raise their kids". Sorry, but I'm killing myself trying to raise a well mannered, educated kid who cares not just about himself but the world around him. We aren't all bad either:)

As the mother of a child with learning disabilities-do I think my child's needs are met? No. But I don't blame the teachers, I blame the system around it. He's in 5th grade but functions about 1.5-2 years behind that. Give him 3-4th grade level work and he's flawless. But he and his teachers are constantly measured by how well he meets a standard that everyone knows he doesn't have the ability to meet, which is unfair to both of them. He does a great job with his modifications, is an honor roll A-B student...but the child works 7 hours at school and sometimes 2 hours at night.

I know what the teachers go through because I volunteer in his school. I walk into those classrooms and do everything I can to help lighten the load and yes-I do go to them when think something has been handled unfairly, I spend an equal amount of time telling them what they are doing right. I hope you teachers know that to the parents and kids who do take the time to notice, you make all the difference in the world. :heart:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    I think all government employees have the same protections teachers do (minus the vacation time, but that's not part of a benefit and really doesn't cost the taxpayers anything actually it probably saves them money because they don't have pay to ac buildings, transportation, etc). If you want the protections and benefits of teachers, become a government employee.

What protections are you talking about? I say this as a former Federal employee who was laid off-- the stereotype that Government employees having great benfeits and secure jobs is truly a myth. I've been working for a contractor for the past six years and the benefits are the same (better in some areas) and the job is no less secure.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options

I don't think anyone's against paying teachers, just against pay awards and protection that bear no relation to the real world!

Well, I don't know how it works in England. Th teachers here don't get any of that. :)
  • iuangina
    Options
    How long had you been an employee for the federal government? What agency did you for? I know when I worked for the government it would take an act of congress to get rid of someone with more than 3 years of experience.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    How long had you been an employee for the federal government? What agency did you for? I know when I worked for the government it would take an act of congress to get rid of someone with more than 3 years of experience.

USPTO, a little over a year. If you didn't meet your quotas you were out, no questions asked. And the quotas were pretty insane, especially if you had a bad supervisor who didn't sign off your work in a timely manner.
  • iuangina
    Options

USPTO, a little over a year. If you didn't meet your quotas you were out, no questions asked. And the quotas were pretty insane, especially if you had a bad supervisor who didn't sign off your work in a timely manner.

I don't know how that agency works with their systems, but I would imagine that someone with more experience than you would be very hard to remove for performance unless it is a RIF (and that's different - teachers have those too BTW). It's kind of the same thing with teachers.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options

I don't know how that agency works with their systems, but I would imagine that someone with more experience than you would be very hard to remove for performance unless it is a RIF (and that's different - teachers have those too BTW). It's kind of the same thing with teachers.

True, I knew a couple guys at higher GS levels who were not formally laid off but demoted, which was usually enough to make them resign.
  • castadiva
    Options

That right there is what people object to. Outwith government employ - and this is pretty much a global issue - if there's an issue with performance and it remains unaddressed, that employee is let go. This sort of protection of sub-standard performers is what really gets my goat, and that of a lot of other people. I cannot see any reason why a government employee should have so much more protection, financially and in terms of job security, than someone in the private sector. If you're incompetent to do your job adequately, you should be dismissed, and a competent person hired to replace you. End of story. As a tax payer, I rather object to paying the salaries of incompetent workers, simply because their jobs are so protected it would take an Act of Congress (or similar!), to remove them. If dismissal is on other grounds, then sure, you should be protected as private-sector workers are - by legislation designed for that purpose - but a situation in which an incompetent, inadequate employee cannot be dismissed is laughable, and makes a lot of people angry. By the way, this doesn't just apply to teachers - I find the level of protection offered to all government employees in most parts of the developed world utterly absurd.
  • iuangina
    Options

That right there is what people object to. Outwith government employ - and this is pretty much a global issue - if there's an issue with performance and it remains unaddressed, that employee is let go. This sort of protection of sub-standard performers is what really gets my goat, and that of a lot of other people. I cannot see any reason why a government employee should have so much more protection, financially and in terms of job security, than someone in the private sector. If you're incompetent to do your job adequately, you should be dismissed, and a competent person hired to replace you. End of story. As a tax payer, I rather object to paying the salaries of incompetent workers, simply because their jobs are so protected it would take an Act of Congress (or similar!), to remove them. If dismissal is on other grounds, then sure, you should be protected as private-sector workers are - by legislation designed for that purpose - but a situation in which an incompetent, inadequate employee cannot be dismissed is laughable, and makes a lot of people angry. By the way, this doesn't just apply to teachers - I find the level of protection offered to all government employees in most parts of the developed world utterly absurd.

As absurd as it may be, it is part of the 5th amendment to the US constitution. Most government employees have a property right in their jobs and cannot be deprived of that right without due process. Many times that process includes numerous warnings, suspensions, and reprimands before a firing can actually take place. They also are entitled to a hearing to contest the decision. It's not fair, but it's the way the courts have interpreted the due process clause. So, a lot of employers don't take the time to even bother with it unless it's really bad. This results in the so-called "pass the trash" process. Where bad employees are transferred to other offices to "improve", but rarely their work improve. If you don't like it, it's going to take a lot more than b%ing about it to change it. I don't know what the solution is, but teachers and government employees didn't invent the system. Maybe we should blame the courts.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    On the flip side of that, however, I believe it is up to the Education system to give our children a good foundation. Teach them to read, write, ciper and socialize. The basics. At least K-12.

amen! i've posted this on here before, but our county has cut grammar out of the curriculum until 9th grade, and has taken long division and factoring trees out entirely since students can just use a calculator. i can guarantee you that this was no teacher's idea! but no. they want our students to be graced with a 21st century classroom - which basically translates to blogging about multiplication facts instead of learning them. we have to sneak this stuff in on the sly and hope we don't get written up for it. written up for actually trying to teach! can you believe?!
    Beyond that, I believe it is up to the community and the families to take care of our special needs students. When I say community, I don't mean mandating programs and taxing the middle class, I mean help out your neighbor, your friends, your community. That's where we are falling short.

yes. community is becoming a legend. people are too affixed to their screens. we have our pc at home that we use for email and my mfp addiction, but we have no cell phones or pocket computers to take out into the world and further isolate ourselves, because that is really what this technology wave is doing. that, and instilling entitlement and instant gratification as basic human rights. but that is an entirely different can of worms. long live land-lines!
    If a person's kid can't pay attention in class, is disruptive or unresponsive, don't punish my child and take his/her time away to babysit Little Johnny.

*yes*

we agree here! it's just that when we remove little johnny from the class, the principal brings him back in 15 minutes later. and when we call his parents, they tell us he's our problem and not to call here again, b!tch. (yes, actual phone conversation)

it's a crazy balancing act, and the 'bad' teachers are the ones who just decide that it doesn't matter either way. for the rest of us, we just do our best with what we have, but we aren't in control of the system, flawed as it is. in our county, teachers aren't even allowed to be on the school board, which i have never understood. oh well.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    I think everyone involved in education gets stereotyped (teachers AND parents)...how often do you hear people say "parents just don't care anymore".."they want the system to raise their kids". Sorry, but I'm killing myself trying to raise a well mannered, educated kid who cares not just about himself but the world around him. We aren't all bad either:)

As the mother of a child with learning disabilities-do I think my child's needs are met? No. But I don't blame the teachers, I blame the system around it. He's in 5th grade but functions about 1.5-2 years behind that. Give him 3-4th grade level work and he's flawless. But he and his teachers are constantly measured by how well he meets a standard that everyone knows he doesn't have the ability to meet, which is unfair to both of them. He does a great job with his modifications, is an honor roll A-B student...but the child works 7 hours at school and sometimes 2 hours at night.

I know what the teachers go through because I volunteer in his school. I walk into those classrooms and do everything I can to help lighten the load and yes-I do go to them when think something has been handled unfairly, I spend an equal amount of time telling them what they are doing right. I hope you teachers know that to the parents and kids who do take the time to notice, you make all the difference in the world. :heart:

you sound like a great parent! i wish everyone could be as dedicated to their children as you. kudos to you!
  • iuangina
    Options

you sound like a great parent! i wish everyone could be as dedicated to their children as you. kudos to you!

There are some people here that would say your child should not be in a regular classroom. I don't understand how they can say that. I think that schools should have contracts with parents. I know that there are schools here that do that and they are awesome! Make them volunteer at the school in some way. It doesn't have to be just during the school day. There are plenty of times for interaction with the children at school both during the day and outside the day. You are an amazing person to volunteer your time to the school. As a teacher, THANK YOU for ALL that YOU do.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

As absurd as it may be, it is part of the 5th amendment to the US constitution. Most government employees have a property right in their jobs and cannot be deprived of that right without due process. Many times that process includes numerous warnings, suspensions, and reprimands before a firing can actually take place. They also are entitled to a hearing to contest the decision. It's not fair, but it's the way the courts have interpreted the due process clause. So, a lot of employers don't take the time to even bother with it unless it's really bad. This results in the so-called "pass the trash" process. Where bad employees are transferred to other offices to "improve", but rarely their work improve. If you don't like it, it's going to take a lot more than b%ing about it to change it. I don't know what the solution is, but teachers and government employees didn't invent the system. Maybe we should blame the courts.

Yes, that is absurd alright. The U.S. Consititution was not written just for teachers, although some may think so. Fifth Amendment Due Process covers everyone within the jurisdiction of the United States. Due process in proceedings against teachers is a creature of contract and state law, and has nothing to do with the US Consititution.
  • chanstriste13
    Options

yes, incompetent employees should not be paid. but in education, just because a teacher is not meeting a standard does not make them incompetent. there are an incredible number of facets that go into it because you are working with children. i'll use my husband as an example. he teaches world history, AP, honors and standard. his AP and honors students, primarily come from middle class to wealthy families who work 9 to 5 jobs, are home with them for dinner in the evenings, shuttle them to soccer practice or gymnastics on the weekends, and have had a hand in their education since they were very young. their scores on standardized testing are fine, because they have generally been supported by their families through the entire process of their schooling.

now, his standard classes. they are not standard. these are the students who live in the projects, whose parents either work several jobs to make ends meet and are not available to assist with school work, some of their parents are drug dealers, some of the students are drug dealers and felons, some of the students have very low IQs and should not be held to the standardized testing bar, some of these students came to my husband not being able to read, some of these students just immigrated to the country from various places and cannot speak a lick of english, some of these students' parents had them at the age of 13 or 14 and cannot read or write themselves, some of them are pregnant, some of them are responsible for caring for their younger siblings while their parents are at work, or passed out, or prostituting...i could go on and on.

someone looking at the testing scores of this kind of classroom could easily jump to the conclusion that my husband is an incompetent teacher and is not doing his job. but this just isn't true. you aren't seeing the big picture. education is just not black and white like that. education is not number pushing, as so many would like to make it. your students come to you with their home life and social situation attached. you can't just remove that from the issue.
  • castadiva
    Options

There are some people here that would say your child should not be in a regular classroom. I don't understand how they can say that.

Why? If a child copes brilliantly with 3rd or 4th grade work, but is struggling with 5th grade material, being held to a standard, (and his teachers with him), that is beyond his capabilities at the moment, why have him sit and struggle in a 5th grade classroom? Why not have him in a situation, whether that is in a 4th grade classroom, or a classroom geared specially towards his needs, where he can excel and feel proud of himself, as he rightly should, rather than being eternally surrounded by evidence that he is "behind"? Kids aren't stupid - no matter how often you tell a child that he is doing brilliantly, the evidence of his own eyes and observations will make him aware that he is not matching the achievements of the other kids around him. To have a child who works 7-9 hours a day to keep up with a programme that he will be aware is not the same as his peers is a recipe for frustration and self-esteem issues. This mother sounds like she's doing a brilliant job in a difficult situation, but this nonsensical insistence that all be treated exactly alike in educational establishments is HURTING kids at both ends of the spectrum, not helping them.