Morning Coffee suggestions

Options
I enjoy having a cup of coffee every morning to get me going. However, I do NOT like black coffee so I put flavored creamers and sometimes sugar in my morning coffee. Any suggestions for a "healthy" way I could enjoy my morning coffee other than completely eliminating it? If you use a no-cal sweetener, which one do you suggest as some have an after taste. Thanks for your thoughts and helpful suggestions.

Replies

• rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Used to go down every morning with colleagues to get a cup of coffee. It was as much of a daily routine as going to the gym was.

Then I realised how bad a coffee with milk actually was...

I had to start drinking black coffee. Like you, I find it rather unbearable without some sweetener. That is why I use Stevia. It is a natural plant byproduct so it is not artificial and it contains barely any calories. Try it. You wont be disappointed.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half and splenda. You can put a little cinnamon in the coffee pot if you like flavored.
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine is a ref latte from maccy d's. Nice cuppa and not to bad. Get the McDonalds app and you can see the nutritional values of the coffee (I don't have sugar)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia and coconut milk creamer in my coffee. Not calorie free, but does save me some calories. I weaned down how much sweetener I use over the course of a year, also (would use one less packet for a few weeks until my taste buds adjusted). Doubt I'll ever drink coffee black, but you can adjust it to save calories.
  • IzzyandBri_mommy
    Options
    splenda or stevia and sugar free powdered creamer. The creamer I use is 30 calories for 1 tbsp and it is all I need.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use reduced fat milk and stevia, a natural sweetner.
    Hope that helps!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like putting in a tablespoon of Organic Valley French Vanilla half and half, though they have been out at Whole Foods for a couple of weeks :(:( so I'm just using plain half and half right now.

I was using truvia for a while but I wanted a better flavor so I started using German rock sugar from Teavana for a bit (2 tsp at 15 calories each). I ran out of that so I've been using Agave nectar instead. The kind I got is also 15 calories a teaspoon, but isn't as sweet as the rock sugar so I use 3 tsp. I just fit it into my daily calories because it's worth it to me.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i use 1 tablespoon fat free original coffee mate creamer and a teaspoon of sugar. total calories= 25. if you like flavored coffee try cinnamon???
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I user powder creamer (1tsp=10cal) and one of the pink sugar subs.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What kind of coffee do you make? Try buying some flavored coffee beans using a better brand and try it black or with less stuff added. My boss buys folgers and I can barely choke it down black but all the coffee that I ever buy I drink black because I buy the better stuff..
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use Torani Sugar Free Vanilla flavoring syrup (with Splenda) 0 calories & a few tablespoons of skim milk. You can find this syrup at Wal-Mart in or around the coffee isle.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use a dreamer and a packet of appends. Drinking coffee like this made me realize that I actually don't like dark roast after all. I spent some weeks getting 1-2 coffers a week from Caribou, always asking what the roast was until I found some I really like. Turns out when I am not covering coffee up with tons of milk and sugar, I actually like the lightest roasts. Maybe try some different roasts and see if that helps.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Contrary view - I love my coffee, so keep it as my daily luxury item and permit myself a single 400ml mochaccino each day. It's something like 250 or 260 calories with light milk.

Coffee acts as an appetite suppressant, and this size of coffee sees me through from about 8.30am to 11.30am without cravings, so I generally have a couple of glasses of water and a few celery sticks to keep hydrated. If I don't have the coffee in the morning, I'll generally chew through a similar amount of food in those three hours.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Different sweetners work better in hot vs. cold beverages. I find Equal dissolves the best in iced coffee, while Splenda stays chunky.

Also, check out local coffee shops, some might offer flavored beans (which adds no calories). There is a place by mean that is constantly rotating flavors, but they have a coconut creme that's my favorite. I'm not sure how they do it, I think they just include pieces of cocnut when they roast so the beans absorb the flavor, but it's good!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I go to Starbucks and buy their sugar free vanilla syrup. I know here in Canada it's 10$ for the big bottle.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I like to use flavored coffees, because they add some flavor without packing on the calories. If I don't have any flavored coffee, I'll sprinkle some cinnamon and truvia in my coffee. Delish!
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda and sugar free vanilla non-dairy creamer. It's really not that many calories and I'm willing to use the few calories that I do for my morning coffee. There are also lots of sugar free flavored syrups for coffees too. You don't have to get the Starbucks brand. I've seen them at Walmart by the coffee. They have mocha, caramel, hazelnut and other flavors.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm a snob, I won't drink black coffee either. LOL.

I buy flavored coffee...hazelnut to add a little bit of taste before I add anything else. I use (1) Truvia as a sweetener in my coffee. I also put 1-2 tbsp of International Delight, Hazelnut flavor, sugar free.

I used to be a sugar freak. I'd put TONS of sugar in my coffee. I've since cut all that out. It's been a huge change for me, and in the end, I still need to use my flavored sugar free cream. I've tried fat free milk and honestly...I dump so much in there to get that taste I need that it goes from hot to cold in a second.

I stick with what works for me....
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    30ml skim milk, half a teaspoon of sugar, 25-30 calories total
  • tinkerpuppet
    tinkerpuppet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a splash of skim milk and a loose (not packed) 1/2-1 tsp of brown sugar (demerara). I much prefer the flavour of the brown sugar!!