What Happened????

Options
I started with MYP two weeks ago today.... I ate exactly the 1200 recommended calories, water and 5 days of exercise. The first week, I lost 5.5 lbs. Today, the second week weigh in, I had put on 2 lbs. What happened? I did not change a thing, I have been very diligent. It was quite disappointing.

Replies

• liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    More then likely you have gained due to muscle growth, muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged, stick with it, you will see results! Good job!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    More then likely you have gained due to muscle growth, muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged, stick with it, you will see results! Good job!

This is incorrect. You did not gain 2 lbs of muscle in 1 week.

Most likely the large loss you saw the first week was mostly water weight. And it's normal for weight to fluctuate that way, especially when exercising.

As for overall advice, 1200 calories seems like quite a low calorie goal and is usually not very sustainable in the long-term. I would consider setting your MFP goal to lose 1 lb per week if you haven't already done so. This will allow you to eat more to fuel your workouts and get all of the nutrients your body needs to function. Also, eat back your exercise calories, especially if you choose to stay at 1200 calories per day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Most likely the large loss you saw the first week was mostly water weight. And it's normal for weight to fluctuate that way, especially when exercising.

As for overall advice, 1200 calories seems like quite a low calorie goal and is usually not very sustainable in the long-term. I would consider setting your MFP goal to lose 1 lb per week if you haven't already done so. This will allow you to eat more to fuel your workouts and get all of the nutrients your body needs to function. Also, eat back your exercise calories, especially if you choose to stay at 1200 calories per day.

This is good advice.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time, wearing the same clothes each time? Your weight fluctuates during the day .

Damn...if my husband could gain 2 lbs of muscle in one week ( or even two) he would be thrilled!
  • swissmiss1952
    Options
    Yes, I did weigh myself at the same time. I am not giving up, and will see what next week brings. I did up my water intake, and I did not know about eating back your exercise calories. I will try that for sure. Thanks......
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time, wearing the same clothes each time? Your weight fluctuates during the day .

Damn...if my husband could gain 2 lbs of muscle in one week ( or even two) he would be thrilled!

Anyone would be, because it's impossible! :tongue:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

This is good advice.

I agree. This is very good advice.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

This is good advice.

I agree. This is very good advice.
    I concur. :drinker:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Muscle retains water as it heals. I gained weight after I started working out.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your body is also adjusting to changes and some people may actually see a slight gain initially as your body adjusts to the new changes. Remember, its also about living healthier and better. Keep it up!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I drank 16 ounces of water and gained a pound of muscle right after.
  • alix1105
    Options
    awesome advice. and muscle does not weight more then fat. weight is weight. it's all the same. i'm guessing you gained weight from water weight, you should try relaxing in a sauna. lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I started with MYP two weeks ago today.... I ate exactly the 1200 recommended calories, water and 5 days of exercise. The first week, I lost 5.5 lbs. Today, the second week weigh in, I had put on 2 lbs. What happened? I did not change a thing, I have been very diligent. It was quite disappointing.

It's just water weight.

It happens to us all. Just stick with it!
  • AbbyMRiley
    Options

This! ---It happens all the time. That's why when I start a new program, I wait at least two weeks to weigh in. The second week is usually disappointing. Next week should be better and weight loss should happen at a lower but steadier weight...Just watch sodium intake. :)
  • rayleansout
    Options
    check your sodium intake and lower it to below 1500 per day, watch weight drop!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I just went to the bathroom, and lost .6 pounds of muscle.
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I just went to the bathroom, and lost .6 pounds of muscle.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cmcmicheal
    Options
    Yes that advice is very reasonable sounding. Alo if you are about to stat
    r your time of the month that can change things too due to excess water retaining and such. Keep going you will break through it.
  • Blissa29
    Blissa29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have read if you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode maybe that is what happened?
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started the same, as in eating 1200 a day. Then soon found that once I increased my calories by 100 or 200 a day, not only did the scale start moving, but I felt sooo much better. Did you take your measurements? You'll lose a ton of inches faster than you'll go down on the scale. Stay with it, and vary your food and exercise to keep your body guessing.

Good luck!! you can do it!!