What Happened????

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigbige
    thebigbige Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    More then likely you have gained due to muscle growth, muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged, stick with it, you will see results! Good job!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound is a pound is a pound. This has become one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I started the same, as in eating 1200 a day. Then soon found that once I increased my calories by 100 or 200 a day, not only did the scale start moving, but I felt sooo much better. Did you take your measurements? You'll lose a ton of inches faster than you'll go down on the scale. Stay with it, and vary your food and exercise to keep your body guessing.

Good luck!! you can do it!!

THIS!!! And this isn't a race, you may not lose every week. Remind yourself of the changes that you have made. Measure all, invest in a food scale.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    More then likely you have gained due to muscle growth, muscle weighs more then fat. Don't get discouraged, stick with it, you will see results! Good job!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound is a pound is a pound. This has become one of my biggest pet peeves.
    Muscle weighs more than fat, by volume.
    Boom.jpg
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well... muscle weighs more than fat per volume, it's denser tissue. But yes, a pound is a pound is a pound. And while you will not have gained two pounds of muscle in a week, your muscles - and other tissues - very well may be hanging onto 2 pounds of water. Watch your overall trend and don't sweat quick losses OR gains of 2 - 3 pounds. I have a body composition monitor and using a table I set up, I see how many actual pounds (not just %) fat and skeletal muscle it thinks I have, and then the remaining pounds of "other" weight - and THAT number fluctuates regularly between 61 and more than 64 pounds, depending on time of the month, if I've been drinking alcohol or eating salty food, etc. So focus on how good you feel, not on the number on the scale, and TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS - losing inches is phenomenally motivating and far more important than pounds with regard to giving you a picture of actual fat loss. I would also recommend setting your calorie intake to a pound-a-week loss for your goal, in case you haven't already. YOu do NOT want to be "under" a 2-pound-a-week food deficit, but it's fine to be under the former, and fine not to "eat back" exercise calories at that level (unless you have burned more than about 500 in a session, in which case getting an extra 150 - 200 cal snack is a really good idea)
  • Michelle_H
    Options
    If I ate my exercise cals back it wouldn't help as I have around 40lbs to lose. I'll do that when I have 10lbs to lose so I guess it depends on the amount of weight you would like to change as to how you deal with the exercise calories.

The type of food you eat is a major factor, not all weeks contain the same sort of 1200 cals. For example, I've had a week of birthdays and cakes and BBQ's and all the stuff that goes with that. My calories have been the same but the food very different and I've been happy to stay the same this week. Next week, I will probably drop 2lb with a combination of not so much bread and salt and not so much cake! :) Take note of the types of foods you are eating and see if they have an impact.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Well, feel like I just got chewed a new one, I suppose I misspoke or did not go into detail, guess I should have. It is probably just water retention, not muscle gain. But still don't get discouraged, just keep up the good work, hopefully the scale will be nicer next week. Good luck to you.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Well, feel like I just got chewed a new one, I suppose I misspoke or did not go into detail, guess I should have.
    There is no shame in learning better information. I have read this thread three times and cannot find an instance of you getting "chewed a new one." Pointing out incorrect information is good for everyone. Expressing a pet peeve is less useful to the community, but still not a personal slight to you.

You seem to be genuinely encouraging people. And you have lost over 100 pounds! You are doing something (probably many things) right. Don't take online disagreement personally. Keep posting. Your input is needed.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    just keep up with the plan and continue your workouts.. things go up and down sometimes .. theres been times i stepped on the scale and it was five lbs up ..yikes!!! i didnt get freaked out but did pay attention more to what i was doing in a day with food and activity ect .. it always came back off
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well, feel like I just got chewed a new one, I suppose I misspoke or did not go into detail, guess I should have.
    There is no shame in learning better information. I have read this thread three times and cannot find an instance of you getting "chewed a new one." Pointing out incorrect information is good for everyone. Expressing a pet peeve is less useful to the community, but still not a personal slight to you.

You seem to be genuinely encouraging people. And you have lost over 100 pounds! You are doing something (probably many things) right. Don't take online disagreement personally. Keep posting. Your input is needed.

I agree with Kenneth. I don't think anyone meant to make you feel bad. I know I certainly didn't.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

And bricks do not weigh more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Stupid argument. Per volume Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. But people shouldn't have to add in the caveat "per volume" just to ensure people don't get thier knickers in a knot!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well, feel like I just got chewed a new one, I suppose I misspoke or did not go into detail, guess I should have. It is probably just water retention, not muscle gain. But still don't get discouraged, just keep up the good work, hopefully the scale will be nicer next week. Good luck to you.

No, definitely didn't intend to make you feel bad. Just pointing out incorrect information. We are all here to learn from one another. :flowerforyou:
  • mandamarie4
    Options
    Many people are suggesting to change your calorie intake goal. This is good advice DEPENDING on your current measurements. For example because of my height and current weight, for me to lose 1/2 pound per week my calorie intake is 1400cal. If I wanted to lose 1 pound per week I too would be at 1200cal per day.

The advise should be worded: don't try to lose any more than 1lb per week.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Okay, so I may have took the comments wrong, and overreacted. Sorry to all, I am new here, please don't take this first impression of me and run with it. I shall redeem myself! lol
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    yeah i know if i don't eat enough i start to gain weight like its the new fashion trend lol.., but that is because of my hypothyroidism .... so that may not be your delema. Excercising is a great way to fit more calories into your diet and boost metabolism, so weight gain doesn't happen quite has much when watching calories and doing the whole change of diet thing. That and what really matters is what the body does with the foods it has been given. For example if the body is recieving foods that it allergic too it makes it hard to lose weight. Being allergic to common foods isn't obvious most of the time and there are different reactions. I only mention the allergy thing because my dad didn't know he was in fact ALLERGIC ( not lactose-intolerant) to all dairy, after he stopped eating dairy he lost weight. Also if the body doesn't recognize it it wont know what to do with it that is why fake butter, oils, preservatives, or any other man made additive makes things hard on the liver. The liver is too busy with all that to focus on getting rid of other things in the body to help weight loss. I hope this is of some use! I may just have been rambling like I usually do.