what types of healthy burgers do you make?

Options
Mdin1029
Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
So this was delicious, super juicy and filling, but a lot more calories than I was hoping. Any suggestions on a lighter burger?
I wanted to make a more healthy burger tonight so I used:

ground chicken (not a huge fan of ground turkey, though I enjoy turkey in other forms) 190 calories
I mixed in 1/2 tsp basil pesto
lemon pepper
paprika
garlic powder
dried oregano
tiny bit of tomato sauce (not pasta sauce, just the liquid in the can when you buy canned tomatoes)

I put some olive oil spray in a small pan with another 1/2 tsp basil pesto and a few fresh basilleaves and put on medium heat covered
shaped the ground chicken into a patty and cooked on each side for about 7 minutes each (i cut a few slits into the patty as it cooked to help it cook through)

nature's own whole what bun 130 calories
1 slice 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese 45 calories
1 piece romaine lettuce
1 tbl best food lite mayo 43 calories
4 tbl organic ketchup (I like to dip my burger in ketchup at each bite) 80 calories

Calories: 488.

So this was delicious, super juicy and filling, but a lot more calories than I was hoping. Any suggestions on a lighter burger?

Replies

• RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I eat veggie burgers and every once in a while I attempt to make my own.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I love portobello mushrooms. They make great burgers. And you can find a low calorie hamburger bun (around 80),along with tofu cheese that looks like the real stuff. I think portobellos have under 100 calories and are easy to cook.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do enjoy some of the food, and often it's much easier to do lower calories, lower fat with it.

Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I really like ground beef burgers and refuse to give them up, so I like to make them with the leanest beef I can find and stuff the burgers with onions and green peppers and spice it with a little cilantro, curry powder, and black pepper. Use 1 egg to bind it all together and keep it from falling apart during grilling.

I usually eat it with some good provolone, homemade mustard, tomato, vidalia onion, and maybe a bit of avocado on a whole wheat bun.
  • tophat1
    tophat1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'd eat it without the bun, mayo, and ketchup, with veggies on the side. Looks like there is plenty of flavor there
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I keep my burger pretty plain. I take lean ground sirloin and season it with some garlic and cayenne. I then use it to make patty melts on grilled sourdough with sauteed onion and swiss cheese. Or a pepper burger with a tablespoon of roasted green chiles and swiss cheese on a whole grain bun.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I don't eat wheat/gluten, so the thing that jumps out at me is removing the bun (130 calories). We've used lettuce wraps (http://goo.gl/VjEES) or eat it with a knife and fork.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like the bocca flame grilled burger. I think its pretty good for a meatless burger:)
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    97/3 GROUND TURKEY BURGER ,MUSTARD INSTEAD OF MAYO, PICKELS TOMATOE LETUCCE AND JALAPENO PEPPERS AND I USED SARA LEE LIGHT BRED 45 CAL EACH SLICE
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Before I continue let me say that I have noted the part about not being a huge turkey fan, but I am going to make this suggestion, because I too was in that boat about 6 months ago. If you have not tried them, I strongly recommend trying the butterball pre-made burger patties. My wife will make the butterball burgers, with Jeanie O Lean turkey bacon, 100 calorie multigrain sandwich rounds, with fresh lettuce, tomato, and a bbq sauce mixture of greek yogurt and a tiny bit of bbq sauce. I promise you, and you'd have to know that I am a hamburger kind of dude, this is one of the BEST burgers you will ever eat. Try it, and if it's not your cup of tea I will publicly apologize :)
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always make the chicken burgers, maybe try finding the wonder 80 calorie wheat hamburger buns it will cut some off.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I really like ground beef burgers and refuse to give them up, so I like to make them with the leanest beef I can find and stuff the burgers with onions and green peppers and spice it with a little cilantro, curry powder, and black pepper. Use 1 egg to bind it all together and keep it from falling apart during grilling.

I usually eat it with some spinach and cheese on whole wheat bread.
  • Shannonhurley88
    Shannonhurley88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crtmfp
    crtmfp Posts: 3
    Options
    If I am going to eat a burger - I want the real thing! I make mine with 96% lean ground beef which is only 130 calories for 4 oz. and the wonder 80 calorie hamburger buns.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would think the pesto is high in cals. Was it? I would use ground chicken breast. Leave off the cheese, and mayo. I put a recipe in here that was a chicken breast sandwich/burger. It was only 388 I think. I love mushrooms and onion too.
  • katrinatiedeman
    Options
    venison. its so much less calories and about 3 g of fat for 3 oz, and tastier i think!
  • skedzie
    skedzie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use bison instead of beef - lower calories and still tastes like a burger! I also like the premade turkey burgers - they are yummy!
  • Mdin1029
    Options

I usually eat it with some good provolone, homemade mustard, tomato, vidalia onion, and maybe a bit of avocado on a whole wheat bun.

Sounds soooo good! thanks!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    I'd eat it without the bun, mayo, and ketchup, with veggies on the side. Looks like there is plenty of flavor there

Great idea, I know I need the veggies on the side! Thanks !
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Before I continue let me say that I have noted the part about not being a huge turkey fan, but I am going to make this suggestion, because I too was in that boat about 6 months ago. If you have not tried them, I strongly recommend trying the butterball pre-made burger patties. My wife will make the butterball burgers, with Jeanie O Lean turkey bacon, 100 calorie multigrain sandwich rounds, with fresh lettuce, tomato, and a bbq sauce mixture of greek yogurt and a tiny bit of bbq sauce. I promise you, and you'd have to know that I am a hamburger kind of dude, this is one of the BEST burgers you will ever eat. Try it, and if it's not your cup of tea I will publicly apologize :)

That sounds sooo good
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Grass fed beef sprinkled with some trader joes everyday seasoning. Grilled with some raw milk cheddar, topped with avocado, organic ketchup and mustard on Rudi's Whole Wheat bun. Had that the other night. Sooo good!! Add a salad or some other veggie.