what types of healthy burgers do you make?

Options

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    ground turkey breast
    italian seasoning
    minced garlic
    pepper
    freeze dried onion

grill it on my george foreman grill.. slap some franks hot sauce on that and throw it on an arnolds sandwich thin and im good to go
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Before I continue let me say that I have noted the part about not being a huge turkey fan, but I am going to make this suggestion, because I too was in that boat about 6 months ago. If you have not tried them, I strongly recommend trying the butterball pre-made burger patties. My wife will make the butterball burgers, with Jeanie O Lean turkey bacon, 100 calorie multigrain sandwich rounds, with fresh lettuce, tomato, and a bbq sauce mixture of greek yogurt and a tiny bit of bbq sauce. I promise you, and you'd have to know that I am a hamburger kind of dude, this is one of the BEST burgers you will ever eat. Try it, and if it's not your cup of tea I will publicly apologize :)

Lol! Sounds great! I will have to try it! Especially intrigued by the yogurt BBQ sauce :)
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Grass fed beef sprinkled with some trader joes everyday seasoning. Grilled with some raw milk cheddar, topped with avocado, organic ketchup and mustard on Rudi's Whole Wheat bun. Had that the other night. Sooo good!! Add a salad or some other veggie.

Thanks!!!
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like to add finely chopped spinach and onions in my turkey burger. I don't usually use a bun.
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    I would think the pesto is high in cals. Was it? I would use ground chicken breast. Leave off the cheese, and mayo. I put a recipe in here that was a chicken breast sandwich/burger. It was only 388 I think. I love mushrooms and onion too.

It was but I only used a teaspoon, will look for your recipe, thanks!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    I love portobello mushrooms. They make great burgers. And you can find a low calorie hamburger bun (around 80),along with tofu cheese that looks like the real stuff. I think portobellos have under 100 calories and are easy to cook.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do enjoy some of the food, and often it's much easier to do lower calories, lower fat with it.

Good luck!

Great idea! Thanks!!!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I make my own burger patties. I mix ground meat (usually turkey but lean beef is great), shredded spinach, diced tomatoes, green onion, dill, and feta cheese. They are ABSOLUTELY delicious!!! They have plenty of flavor on their own so condiments aren't really necessary and a bun is optional :-)
  • callmekaro
    callmekaro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make my own burger patties. I mix ground meat (usually turkey but lean beef is great), shredded spinach, diced tomatoes, green onion, dill, and feta cheese. They are ABSOLUTELY delicious!!! They have plenty of flavor on their own so condiments aren't really necessary and a bun is optional :-)

Okay, I never would have thought to mix in feta with the meat mixture...that sounds fantastic. And my kids love feta, so even they would eat this! Thanks for the idea!
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I shred zucchini in to the ground beef and plenty of it even when i look for recipes online for this what ever amount of zuchini they call for i double that

I use twice teh zucchini this calls for and its still stays together. I also dont use bread crumbs when i make the meat mixure

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    I shred zucchini in to the ground beef and plenty of it even when i look for recipes online for this what ever amount of zuchini they call for i double that

I use twice teh zucchini this calls for and its still stays together. I also dont use bread crumbs when i make the meat mixure

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html

Thanks! I love zucchini!
  • ginabgdc
    Options
    My all time fav is what I call

Yummy Grrek Chicken Burger

2 lbs ground chicken
    2 cups chopped spinach
    6 oz fat free feta cheese
    1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs

Mix all together and grill, Makes 8 patties and only about 120 calories. I love em plain or with a mushroom bun.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Got this off this site in another post... I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty good!

Skinny Black Bean Mushroom Burger

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, organic, drained
    10 button mushrooms, stem removed, diced
    1 egg white
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion pepper
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1 cup whole grain bread crumbs
    Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

In a large bowl add black beans and mash against the side of the bowl with a fork until all beans are mashed. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Make bean mixture into 4 patties, place on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Lightly spray the bottom of the slow cooker with cooking spray, add the bean patties. Cover, cook on low 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until heated through. Serve on whole wheat buns with your favorite trimmings.

Hours: 1 to 1 1/2 hours
    Temp: low
    Yield: servings 4
    Minimum Slow Cooker size: 5 quart

Nutritional Content
    1 serving = 1 Black Bean Mushroom Burger and 1 hamburger bun

Calories: 284
    Total Fat: 3
    Saturated Fat: 1
    Trans Fat: 0 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 429 mg
    Carbohydrates: 52 g
    Dietary Fiber: 10 g
    Sugars: 4 g
    Protein: 12 g
    Nutritional Information estimated at Nutrition data.com. Data may not be accurate.

from Skinny Crock Pot
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Great ideas here! And my mouth was watering with the original recipe too. What about hollowing some of the bread out? - digging out a bit from the inside top bun and inside bottom bun? It would remove some calories, and might stop the filling from sliding out of the burger. I do that for sandwiches made out of French bread.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My favourite burger is a veggie burger (non-breaded), between two large mushrooms as the 'bun' (cooked on the grill). I then add a little relish and red onion.
  • plmuzik
    Options
    1 beaten egg white
    1 TBSP light ranch dressing
    1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
    1/2 tsp onion salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup frozen loose=pack chopped broccoli, thawed
    1 lb. ground turkey or you can do 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef

Preheat broiler. Mix the first five ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in broccoli and then add ground meat...mix well. Shape into 4- 1/2 inch thick patties. Place patties on your broiler pan...3 to 4 inches from the heat for 11 to 13 minutes or until done, turn patties once halfway through cooking time. Serve patties on whole wheat thin buns with light mayo, tomato and lettuce. You can also serve with avocado and light ranch dressing.

Love these burgers. My 20 year old son requests these when he comes home from college. Serve them with Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Frites...yum!!!!!
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use alot of burger type / sandwich type meals for lunch especially.

Here's what I've used for the meat: all are less than 200cal each
    Boca Spicy Chicken patty
    Trader Joe's Masala Burger Veggie - yummy has an indian spice to it
    Costco's caramalized onion ready made chicken burgers.

For bread I use Arnold's Pocket Thins, or Sandwhich thins, and sometimes even make the burger into a wrap with a WW tortilla - all 100cal or less.

Sometimes I switch up more and do these for the meat

Get chicken or turkey italian sausage links (110cal a link) and take casing off, split each link into 4 balls and cook.
    Sautee bell peppers and onions and use 4 balls for each half of the pocket thin and put in veggies. top with mustard..
    reminds me of italian sausage at the fair!

I think next I'll try ground chicken with Franks red hot sauce to make buffalo... and fill a pocket pita with that, some low cal ranch, spinach and tomato!!!
  • nothingisred
    Options
    These are the most delicious burgers I have ever tasted (and that includes meat burgers, a meat burger definitely can't beat these). I make them in batches and freeze them, the second I get them out to defrost I can smell them and it makes me salivate!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe from the food network for turkey burgers

Ingredients
    For Maple-Dijon Sauce:
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons real maple syrup
    For Burgers:
    1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
    1/4 cup real bacon bits
    1/2 cup chunky applesauce
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    2 tablespoons real maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Hamburger Buns
    Hamburger condiments
    Directions
    Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking.

For Maple-Dijon Sauce: In a small bowl, stir to combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup; set aside.

For Turkey Burgers: In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for burgers. Wet hands to prevent sticking and shape into 4 patties.

Place burgers on hot oiled grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until done.

Serve on buns with traditional burger condiments and a dollop of maple-Dijon sauce.

Note - Indoor: Prepare burgers as directed. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot add burgers and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side or until done.

They are amazing!!
  • JenniferJ83
    JenniferJ83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quorn chicken style burgers - 123cals
    Wholemeal Pitta Bread, 1 pitta - 155
    slice processed cheese - 55cals

Bake quorn in oven for 20 mins. Put pitta bread in microwave for 15 seconds. Stick cheese on quorn and serve.

I tend to ad da little sour cream and ketchup rather than mayo.

tastes delicious!