whats your best tip??

Options
13»

Replies

• ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    stop looking for the quick fix- the fast loss- the easy way. There is no easy way. It is a lifestyle change. Eat clean and healthy and indulge in special treats from time to time. Push yourself to exercise until "the bug" takes over and it is no longer a push (probably because you are starting to see a fit body), drink tons of water. Drink water when you're hungry- because you are probably thirsty.

Plan ahead and get the junk out of the house. This is crucial for me. I did it and now all of my teenage daughters are eating healthy too!!! They just asked for fish one night this week (who woulda though?)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The one that worked best for me: get rid of the scale, it'll only make things harder. I 100% agree. Reading your body is a much better gauge. Weight is just a number. It shouldn't consume you. But how about the way you feel when you put your pants on and they are too big, you go to put a belt on and you move down a hole, you have to get new gym clothes because yours are too baggy and get in the way. Those things don't lie. Scales can be evil sometimes. :)

I'm not saying don't weigh at all, but don't focus on the number. :)
  • jackfishjm
    Options
    Serve your dinner on the medium size plate versus the large dinner plates.
    To cut the portion of a meat like a pork loin chop or steak cut the chop in half and serve the meat sliced on the plate looks like more than it is.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Best tip I got from these pages:
    "The best way to train to run is to put one foot in front of the other"
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything. It's amazing how much cheese you can fit into 1/4 cup, :-)

Weighing keeps you honest and then you can't sneak extra calories in that will only slow your progress.
  • tammyharm
    Options
    always have a few snacks during the day like boiled eggs and almonds so your body is not starving it self.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories (it inspired me to do exercise - which i now love)

I have a question regarding this. I have never heard that term " eat your exercise calories" until I came MFP. Does that mean that if the site says I should be eating 1230 calories, and I burn 200 calories on the treadmill, that I should then be eating 1430 calories? And I will still lose the projected two pounds per week????
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    1. Do not one BIG meal during the day and expect to lose weight very well because the large meal will stick to you like glue ... Instead, have 5-6 smalls ones (meal/snack ... either or, not both) every few hours, you will be able to digest those and keep the metabolism fueling =)

2. Drink LOTS of green tea!!!!!
  • sarbu24
    Options
    Eat to live. And always plan your meals out ahead of time. And if you are just starting out, get a food scale. I never knew the true size of a serving before I bought my scale.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

I have a question regarding this. I have never heard that term " eat your exercise calories" until I came MFP. Does that mean that if the site says I should be eating 1230 calories, and I burn 200 calories on the treadmill, that I should then be eating 1430 calories? And I will still lose the projected two pounds per week????

Yes, in a perfect world. However, weight loss isn't linear and so it always doesn't work like that. But, you should see the scale go down as you stay consistent with your diet and exercise. Remember, though, that most people under estimate how many calories they consume and over estimate how many calories they burn. Invest in a HRM and food scale. That will ensure you're numbers are more accurate.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Take up weight lifting three times a week. Its totally changed my body shape.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Exercise tip: You can go for time or intensity. You choose.

I don't like exercise. No matter what it is. So I exchanged longer, moderate workouts with shorter, intense ones. I hate them both...but one is shorter.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the end, enjoy the journey!
  • sarbu24
    Options

Yes, in a perfect world. However, weight loss isn't linear and so it always doesn't work like that. But, you should see the scale go down as you stay consistent with your diet and exercise. Remember, though, that most people under estimate how many calories they consume and over estimate how many calories they burn. Invest in a HRM and food scale. That will ensure you're numbers are more accurate.

Thanks! I will look into one of those:)
  • alisatomp
    alisatomp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    buy a food scale, read labels and toss all your fat clothes!