Bananas

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Guava is meant to be the "best" fruit nutrition wise...

Is that right! On what basis? I love guavas, I think they are my favorite fruit. They are not very popular in Australia. Perhaps, like a lot of exotics, they don't travel well, and then there are all those annoying seeds, so inconvenient in a smoothie.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bananas! They are one of my favorite fruits but I CANNOT have them. I am hypoglycemic and bananas are full of sugars and carbs. One banana takes up almost half of my daily allotment. I eat them on rare occasion as a special treat like most people would eat a slice of cake as a treat. Don't even get me started on the watermelon, cantaloupes and dates that I LOVE so much!!! :-)
  • loseweight1971
    Options
    :sad: :sad: I have a banana every day, probably why i am not losing weight. hey ho! Thought they were a healthy snack?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I LOVE bananas! They are one of my favorite fruits but I CANNOT have them. I am hypoglycemic and bananas are full of sugars and carbs. One banana takes up almost half of my daily allotment. I eat them on rare occasion as a special treat like most people would eat a slice of cake as a treat. Don't even get me started on the watermelon, cantaloupes and dates that I LOVE so much!!! :-)

Cherries? My dodgy site said that cherries were the lowest GI?

Oh, dates and other dried fruits like the dastardly dried APRICOTS, I never knew what horrors lurked inside that innocent-looking plastic bag of imported evil before I scanned their barcode into the saintly mfp. Aargh!
  • CrystalBonner
    CrystalBonner Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I never really understood that myself. I love bananas so what I do is only eat one once a week. Unless I have a large amount of left over calories.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason for obsecity in America is bananas!

LOL
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Bannnas are excellent for yo - superfood, full of potassium, good carbs etc.

However... not good for weight loss - full of sugar!!! Then, everything in moderation and I would say that if you are factoring that carb/sugar content into your diet appropriately then there is no problem!

So, how are they worse than mango? How does mango lead this charmed life? Or any other fruit?

Or do you mean that fruit, in general, is bad for weight loss?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Haha, my advertisement banner has started to try to sell me bananas!! How do they know? Get thee behind me, banana.
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I have a banana every now and then. Eating half in the AM and then the PM. I know they are not the best for me because they are high in carbs/sugar. But also a great source of niacin and potassium.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

So, how are they worse than mango? How does mango lead this charmed life? Or any other fruit?

Actually yes, an excess of fruit is bad for weight loss because of the sugars and their position on the GI (the website you posted said 52, a website I saw said 55). I understand your sarcasm, but excess fruit can actually stifle fat loss. The only "diet" that takes the pounds off quickly is a high protein and low carb diet, however its not safe to use for an extended period of time.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I have a banana every now and then. Eating half in the AM and then the PM. I know they are not the best for me because they are high in carbs/sugar. But also a great source of niacin and potassium.

Why are they not the best for you, though? Why are they worse than any other fruit? Apart from the evil dried ones, I mean.
  • emergencytennis
    Options

Actually yes, an excess of fruit is bad for weight loss because of the sugars and their position on the GI (the website you posted said 52, a website I saw said 55). I understand your sarcasm, but excess fruit can actually stifle fat loss. The only "diet" that takes the pounds off quickly is a high protein and low carb diet, however its not safe to use for an extended period of time.

My sarcasm is a trifle overblown, granted. I am not interested in a diet that takes off the pounds quickly. I would be interested to see anything you have that substantiates the excess fruit stifling fat loss idea. Do you mean that if I eat 1200 calories of fruit I will lose less weight than if I eat 1200 calories of bacon, because you can see I would disbelieve that.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Are you implying that fruits is detrimental to fat loss even in a calorie deficit?
    Oatmeal is higher in the GI, does that make oatmeal worse than banana?

Low-carb takes the pounds off quickly because of you lose water. When you start eating carbs again. Guess what happen?
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    So is my Yonana machine useless now? I thought I found the answer to my ice cream obsession :sad:

Probably why I have lost 0 pounds so far. And here I thought it might have been the beers.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    NANNERS :tongue:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good. Banana splits are bad.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    bananas don't have to be off limits, but eat them in moderation (as in not every day) and eat them early in the day so you can burn off all that sugar! :)
  • WishUponAStarx
    WishUponAStarx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    HAHA I love Ali G :)

Bananas are ok.... just eat them in moderation like everything!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eating too many bananas is exactly why we are all here trying to lose weight. Damn those fruits and all the bad, processed stuff they contain...
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are higher in calories than most fruits and have a good amount of natural sugars but they are not "bad" for you.