Do you have a desk job?

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

I sit on my *kitten* the whole day, and when I get home, i work out.

Hey you are doing that routine too?! I love the part when i get to sit on my bum, and then when i get home i work out.

I do this too...but I get home, have supper and then I go to the gym, I also do Tai Chi on Tuesdays...and when it's not -44 degrees celcius, I walk for 45 minutes at lunch.
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your office, but I would be laughed at silly if I brought in a mini cycle - pedal thing or a ball to sit on.. Or even doing sit ups, etc (as I don't have my own office) besides I have work to do! LOL

I do try to take a brisk walk during my lunch hour. I take the stairs to office on the 4th floor. I do these things in addition to my time at the gym or on the treadmill, etc.
  • chunky_munky83
    Options
    sounds a bit daft, but i work as IT tech support, in my job im sitting on my *kitten* alot, not good for loosing weight, but what i have been doing is wearing weights on my ankles, so when im walking about it makes me use more effort. and i also get off the bus 2 stops from where i should. mainly because i sleep on the bus, but hey.. there is a plus! :D
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym at 5am, so by the time I get to work I am already in "healthy mode." I drink tons of water, and get up and walk to the restroom whenever I feel tired. When it's warm out, I bike to work and also to lunch. Otherwise, I just have to rely on the cardio at the gym. But I just Googled "Under desk bicycles" and cam up with several that are under $70. Hmmmmm....

Perhaps it's time to try one out!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    you can get these mini exercise bike things, they're just pedals, that you put under your desk

Lol I actually just brought one of those into work a little over a week ago... I sometimes feel like a little kid on a tricycle at work, and I don't do it if I'm super super busy as it slows my typing down a little bit, I don't log it as calories burned either I still go to the gym for that.. but try to sneak in just a few extra calories burned when I can.

I also heard of people bringing in resistance bands to work or like the thigh master type things... you feel pretty silly doing them at first, but if you have your own office, it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you do your research, you'll find that it SHOULD be counted as calories burned if you do it right. I keep a pace that has my bpm up to 120, burn a lot of calories that way. Even just using it consistently throughout the day at a light pace can burn up to an average of 400 extra calories a day. More if you increase the tension. Then again, I use mine all the time so...

Maybe I should post pictures? Pictures of the bike, and pictures of me sweating after using it lmao
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics in my office and sometimes I jog on one of those mini trampolines during a conference call.
    There are always possibilities.
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    Try to fit in at least a 30 minute workout before/after work (we have a gym in my building so I can often get a workout in during lunchtime). If you take a coffee break, walk to a coffeehouse little further away -- it's a nice break and you get some walking in. Make sure to be active on the weekends!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    you can get these mini exercise bike things, they're just pedals, that you put under your desk

This sounds pretty cool! I've never seen one of these....going to google it =)

This is the one I use (not at work) for my cardio workouts at home. It's a pretty good little unit! :)

http://www.amazon.com/MagneTrainer-ER-Mini-Exercise-Bike-Exerciser/dp/B000V53KD8
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your job is, but if you spend a lot of time on the phone, think of doing something like standing up at your desk every time you are on the phone. You can even march in place when you are on the phone. Otherwise, since I'm in an office by myself, every time one of my favorite songs comes on the radio, I will stand up and run in place while I am reading my computer screen. That gets my heart rate up for 4 minutes at a time several times throughout the day. They are little things, but at least I feel more mobile.
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    Also, if you can shut your office door for some privacy, don't hesitate to do some non-sweaty exercises like yoga/pilates! You can stream online/on-demand workouts on Yufit.com -- they have a mini yoga flow which is only 30 minutes.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I work 3 to midnight. get to bed late, so sleep late. generally, since I'll be awake anyway, I go to the gym after work. usually am there for an hour or so, leaving at 1 a.m.-ish. it's nice. I get my pick of machines and the locker room smells way better.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do small sets of push-ups.

tumblr_lp20zxZlCd1ql24hho1_400.jpg
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Time Management. There is always time, if you make it. Lay out your day, and be honest with it. From the moment you wake up, to the moment you go to bed. Account for everything you REGULARLY do. And use blocks of time:

5:30 Wake-up, jump in shower
    5:45 Get dressed
    6:00-6:30 Breakfast
    7:00 Transit to work
    7:30-11:30 Lunch
    11:30-12:30 Lunch - hmmm can I fit in a 15-30m walk? I can if I bring my lunch.
    12:30-4:30 Work
    4:30-4:45 Travel to Gym
    4:45-5:45 Gym
    5:45-6:15 Transit Hom
    6:15-7:30 Time with son/Dinner/Ride bike

7:30 son to bed - free time until 10

Now, if you make this visual on paper, breaking your day out into 15 minute BLOCKS (i used Excel to do mine) you will be able to visualize your day and rearrange. Also, if you Baking dinner...exercise while it cooks. I make pork chops...they take 45 mins. As soon as I get home, I change, then help my son with what he may need help with, then make dinner. If I am baking, in the oven and on the stationary bike.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't walk around the office. I just sprint everywhere.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    So I shut my office door....it felt weird, but this is what I did:

3 x 20 push ups
    3 x 20 sit ups
    3 x 20 squats
    3 x 1 plank

And it felt great!! =) Thanks for the motivation everyone!!!
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    I have a desk/warehouse job. Mostly sitting at my desk though. So lucky for me we have an exercise ball and some weights. During my down time, I use the ball to do my Ab workouts (crunches, ab roll, ball rotation, ball twist, ball pass, ball pike and shoulder push ups, ball planks, & ball dips) . You can get many more uses out of the exercise ball. Today I also did jumping jacks (60 sec), running in place (60 sec), mountain climbers (60 sec), push ups, walk-out plank, and used the weights to work on biceps, chest, shoulders, and back.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I usually...either...Find a corner in the RR and do 50-75 squats..Walk at the bottom of my building on the inside at my lunch...We have 12 flights of stairs do those occasionally!! If you have small dumbbells.. you can do 3 sets of 15 right at your desk...Get your desk burn on girlie!! LOL
  • Shoewhr
    Shoewhr Posts: 14
    Options
    I have a spare set of clothes, weights, DVDs and a DVD player at work and use a conference room to workout. I'm a benefits manager so every Fall is crazy due to Open Enrollment, having everything there kept me from making excuses (wah wah, it's too late when I get home, no time, etc.). Lol
  • schalka
    schalka Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a desk job and do 30 day shred or Zumba videos at lunch, or i take a walk around the area
  • schalka
    schalka Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a spare set of clothes, weights, DVDs and a DVD player at work and use a conference room to workout. I'm a benefits manager so every Fall is crazy due to Open Enrollment, having everything there kept me from making excuses (wah wah, it's too late when I get home, no time, etc.). Lol
    I do mine in conference room too, no time before or after work