olive oil: think its good for u ? I thk not!

Options
13»

Replies

• happyhiram
    Options
    I just read that about 3 Tblsp of olive oil is 544 cal and 45 grams of fat!!!!!! Holy **** i mean i thouht when i cook fish or chicken or anythin for that matter instead of butter i always use olive oil, now granted not doucing the food in it but for instance last night i made sauteed baby spinach in garlic and olive oil topped with salmon and thought that as as healthy as it gets and now reading this on the olive oil i might as well ate a big mac!

....I....

But....how....

Why would you....

I just....

Words cannot describe my confusion.

Are you aware that there are GOOD kinds of fats. Mono and Polyunsaturated fats are good for you--you need them in your diet. Olive oil is loaded monounsaturated fat.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have one of those misting things where you add your own olive oil as well. Totally worth the $. We have saved a ton on sprays (not to mention better for the environment!).
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*
    ^^ repeatedly
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    People, olive oil only has 360 cals per 3 tbsp, not 544!
  • adunten
    adunten Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is so good for you, but the key is to start measuring, and learn to cook with a TEAspoon or two, not tablespoons. I'm a WeightWatchers geek and even though I'm counting calories now instead of points, I still do my 2 teaspoons of healthy oil per day. I struggled to lose weight for years, not realizing just how much olive oil I was putting in all my cooking until WW forced me to start measuring it. I was appalled at how many calories of OO I had been eating!
  • servilia
    Options
    Never had duck fat o.O i don't think I could eat anything from a ducky xD

me neither... my eyes are like O_O what is that?? lol

It's heavenly on a slice of nice french white bread. :love:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thats why we should all use spray instead of oils. Saves tons of cals

Yeah, no thanks. I will pour my olive oil or scoop my ghee, coconut oil, and chicken fat from the little containers I save them in. I will count every delicious calorie and savor them. Life is good when you get 50% of your cals daily from fat. (sometimes more!)

(I ran out of duck fat, but I will get more!)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil, myself, and usually only need about a tsp. Still fat, but a good kind of fat. Healthy fats (think... avocados) can help you lose weight, which might seem weird but it's true! :)

coconut oil also has a much higher smoking point so it's better to cook with. Olive oil has a relatively low smoking point so if you're cooking with it, you're losing a lot of the benefits. Olive oil is best used as a topping like as a sauce or dressing. It's easier to use less this way, too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

O_O
    Fat AND white bread - that is preposterous!! Complete and total diet meltdown. :happy:

I have seriously never heard of it until this thread (I sitll don't know what the other butter is)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I bought this pump spray can that I can put whatever type of oil I want in and use it like a spray like Pam. So I can use smaller amounts of olive oil. Works just as well. Plus its cheaper.

Putting regular oil in a sprayer works great but aerosol type sprayers will ruin your cookware. The propulsion agent eats away at the finish FYI
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I always use it for roasted potatoes and roasted veggies. nom nom nom
  • CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    also, there are a lot of options if you're unnecessarily frightened to use olive oil: veggie spray, almond butter, peanut butter, coconut butter, etc...
  • servilia
    Options

O_O
    Fat AND white bread - that is preposterous!! Complete and total diet meltdown. :happy:

I have seriously never heard of it until this thread (I sitll don't know what the other butter is)

The other butter is just a regular butter but Hungarian (vaj = butter).
    I've also been known to spread this on my white bread (and yes still only 120 cals per tbsp and plenty of monounsaturated fat):

DSCN1665.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I bought this pump spray can that I can put whatever type of oil I want in and use it like a spray like Pam. So I can use smaller amounts of olive oil. Works just as well. Plus its cheaper.

Putting regular oil in a sprayer works great but aerosol type sprayers will ruin your cookware. The propulsion agent eats away at the finish FYI

This one doesn't have propulsion agent. You just pump it to create pressure and it sprays a fine mist. I think others have described it better.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Frying things in duck fat is actually heavenly, but I imagine it's not a very healthy fat
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK but u say eat in moderation , i love to cook and try my best to cook as healthy as i can and i thought using olive oil was the way to go. I always cook dinner whether its fish , steak, chicken, etc unless u grill it which is hard this time of year due to weather when its freezing or raining so now im so skeptical of olive oil! maybe thats why i havent lost weight so far. I have a greg normans grill which we all know gets rid of most of the fat so from now on i guess thats what im using

Olive oil is a great way to go, but you need to pay attention to portions. I would typically use about 1 tbsn of olive oil in a meal of 2 - 4 servings, so I'm only getting 1/4 or 1/2 tbspn per servings. The database entry I use says about 115 (I think) cals per tbspn, so that's only an extra 60 or less cals per serving.
    I use a non stick pan so it doesn't need too much oil - it's really there for extra flavour and to help the food brown more (yum).
    Just start experimenting and you'll find out what works for you.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Yep... nothing quite as delicious as Vaj butter...

Can I make this type at home? Sounds divine!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Besides the fact that the calorie count is way off, it's not all about calories. I use olive oil all the time to cook with. I would use coconut oil but I use that for other stuff too and it gets expensive...

It's more about the benefits of the oil. Not all healthy foods are low in calories and just because it's high in calories doesn't mean it's unhealthy.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yep... nothing quite as delicious as Vaj butter...

Can I make this type at home? Sounds divine!

you would require your wife's permission and assistance but I believe it can be accomplished.
    :wink: