Idea's on liquid diet...

So I am doing a diet I talked over with my doctor. It consists of a food sub-lament and stages.

Stage I: 14 days of liquid diet only. Here I am spossed to stay with the food sublament and eat vegetable broth if I get really hungry. The problem is that i am currently burning more calories during my work outs than I am taking in during the day. Any ideas on sugar free liquid foods I could add for this stage?

Replies

• ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    You should be able to do any sugar free items like crystal light, Popsicles, jello. I'm not sure what supplements you are drinking but hope you will be getting enough protein with them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Most liquid diets do not allow for significant exercise.....

TALK TO your Doctor about this. This is a dangerous diet, and you need to be under supervision for all aspects of it. Please don't take the advice of the people on this forum.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Your doctor agreed to you going on a liquid diet for 14 days when you have only 22 lbs to lose??
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Yikes, sounds like something that will mess up your metabolism if you do it too long. However, I never understood the benefits of a liquid diet, not if calories are what count??
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Seriously, you're doing P90X daily plus other exercise, and convinced a doctor to put you on a liquid diet? :noway: There is no way!!! How many calories are you taking in? If you're under about 1500 calories per day you're going to see weight come right back with friends when you go off this because your metabolism will have slowed to a crawl...

If that's the advice your doctor gave you, maybe you should talk to some of the successful people on here who have achieved your goals in a healthy and safe way, and I'll bet you'll see better results faster.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I only have one piece of advice for you... get a new doctor!
  • ogmama12
    ogmama12 Posts: 23 Member
    Can you do fresh vegetable juices? Or fresh fruit juices? And honestly, anything will be delicious with a miracle fruit tablet!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member

Do they give out PHD's in cereal boxes these days?
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member

This for sure!!! That's insane
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    ~ Not your best decision ... Nothing good can come from such a disaster plan ! I hope you find a doctor that is worthy of your money and puts your health first !
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    WTF ?!

Is this real life?
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Maybe OP has some existing health conditions that would allow this? Maybe they are seeing a naturopath?

Anyway, I'd go with sugar free jello, veggie broth as recommended, popsicles (you can find them made with Splenda), and if you are in the diabetic / health foods aisle, you'd be surprised how much even big chains like Safeway carry.

GL!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Your doctor agreed to you going on a liquid diet for 14 days when you have only 22 lbs to lose??

WTF????? I've lost 22.2 lbs and I did it by using MFP.....How can just drinking liquids be any good for you?.......
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    According to your profile you're losing weight "too fast." In that case...perhaps you should skip the liquid diet. You should be able to eat real food and lose a little weight in a healthy manner, and still take in enough calories to fuel the workouts.

I'm sorry but I can't think of any reason that someone with less than 25 pounds to lose would be placed on a liquid diet by a doctor. The only time I've ever heard of doctors supporting a supervised liquid diet is in the cases of morbidly obese folks (people with 100s of pounds to lose), or prior to weight loss surgery...or if your jaw is wired shut due to injury. I would recommend you find another doctor and re-evaluate what you're doing.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    So I am doing a diet I talked over with my doctor. It consists of a food sub-lament and stages.

Stage I: 14 days of liquid diet only. Here I am spossed to stay with the food sublament and eat vegetable broth if I get really hungry. The problem is that i am currently burning more calories during my work outs than I am taking in during the day. Any ideas on sugar free liquid foods I could add for this stage?

I suppose that the supplement is something recommended by the doctor? Is it a protein shake?

Keep track of your calories and make sure you are getting enough for the day, including the ones you burn during exercise.

Perhaps you need to tell the doctor that you are burning more than you are taking in. If he or she does not know about that, it could be a problem. If the doctor does not see that as a problem, your doctor is a quack.

There are a variety of meal replacement shakes that are high in protein and low in sugar. Check them out at your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.
  • Your doctor agreed to you going on a liquid diet for 14 days when you have only 22 lbs to lose??

My thoughts exactly. It's highly unlikely your doctor would recommend that, unless you're sufffering from some gastronomic issue and even then you'd be permitted to have food (blended). 14 days are typically the span of "detoxes" and the veggie broth one brings one to mind, Almased Synergy Diet.

I wouldn't recommend a juice cleanse, ever. Your body doesn't need it and your doctor would know better than that. If they did give you that advice, then they don't care for your health.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Maybe OP has some existing health conditions that would allow this? Maybe they are seeing a naturopath?

Anyway, I'd go with sugar free jello, veggie broth as recommended, popsicles (you can find them made with Splenda), and if you are in the diabetic / health foods aisle, you'd be surprised how much even big chains like Safeway carry.

GL!

Any existing health condition would only make this more dangerous and less likely to be advocated by a medical doctor. If one were completely healthy and fit this would be dangerous. If a "naturopath" recommended, or even simply failed to speak strongly against it s/he is irresponsible. I'm sorry, I do not believe a licensed medical professional okayed this plan.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    I'd suggest that you find another doctor - your profile says you are losing weight too fast, that you don't want to be too thing and that you are motivated because of your "doctor yelling at me".
    As you are doing intense exercise and already have an active lifestyle, it sounds as though you are taking a very dangerous path. If you are determined to do it this way, then please go back and discuss the plan fully with your doctor, including telling them how much exercise you are doing.
    Alternatively, you might like to see another doctor to see if they have a plan that sounds more suited to your lifestyle (and don't YELL at you). Or you could just eat well and exercise and succeed like lots of other people of MFP.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member

Please go back and speak with your doctor again. It's hard to judge your height from your photo, but unless you are REALLY short, having less than 25 pounds to lose puts your BMI BARELY into overweight, if even overweight. Your exercise program combined with a diet of JUST liquid supplements looks dangerously like an eating disorder. You could eat a healthy and varied diet of 1500 calories and still EASILY lose all your weight by summer. The point of My FITNESS Pal is to be healthy and fit. You gain no health benefits if you damage your health to lose weight very very quickly, and even less if you start a dangerous mindset about body image.
  • once more, what's the point of juicing veggies/fruits? as someone already said, change your doctor...