Buying groceries when hovering around poverty level...

Options
What's the best you can do?

I think I can live on $50 a month:

4 loaves of bread- $8
2 jars of peanut butter- $8
A case of instant noodles (24 pack)- $6
A jar of instant coffee- $4
A big sack of granulated sugar- $12
A jug of full-fat milk- $5

The tax in my province is 14% so that works out to about $49.

I would switch to no-name brands and full-calorie versions of everything to maximize savings and caloric intake :happy:

Replies

• 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Grad student here, noodles and eggs kept me going for a long time! But I work on about $12 a day now. I could prob get it lower, but it is a compromise between health and convenience. But $50 a month, that would be a stretch for me!
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    Grad student here, noodles and eggs kept me going for a long time! But I work on about $12 a day now. I could prob get it lower, but it is a compromise between health and convenience. But $50 a month, that would be a stretch for me!

Unfortunately I don't have a choice :ohwell: When you're worried about making ends meet, health goes on the backburner. I don't think my list is that bad nutritionally though, it just lacks any produce.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm a grad student too and you've definitely beaten me... although there doesn't look like much food of substance in there but kudos for being so economical!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about coupons? Freebies? Plenty of new healthy companies love to send free samples.
  • LGOllie
    LGOllie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You remind me that I did that too when I was in school...peanut butter, bread, ice tea and popcorn. I ddin't want my family to know as I felt that no one was in a position to help me. Aren't there places to go now, like pantrys? You are not getting any fruit and vegetables, though I guess for a short time that is okay. Hope your time like this IS short!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can get them in the states but one that is always good to have at hand are frozen Dim Sims. $3 for a pack of 30 and they are 90 calories each, made from cabbage and meat with pasta on the outside so actually nutritionally not too bad.

2-3 is a decent meal, so that is only 30 cents. You just need some soy sauce to top it off!

They could definately be an addition to your menu!
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In my area the 99 cent store carries produce. Maybe let go of the big bag of sugar and get a little fruits/veggies instead? Look into food closets also because $50 for groceries is so very low. They may be able to help you. We go and it is nothing to be ashamed of. Some months we have no money for food and we are a family of 5 (3 of them are teenagers). You do what you have to do to get by.
  • tennillewade
    tennillewade Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    can you get food assistance like foodstamps or something?. I say if you can take that 12 bucks for sugar and get a smaller sack or none at all and spend that on frozen or canned veggies. the rest you do need accept the coffee but i understand a coffee addiction but if you could cut out the coffee that gives you another 4 bucks to get more vitamin dense food. adding veggies to the noodles is a good idea. and what about meat. if you cut back the sugar and cut out the coffee you could get a few pounds of ground beef along with some frozen veggies.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh and get your sugar from McDonalds in the little packets instead of paying for it! lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think I'd get rice, lentils and frozen veg instead of the bread, sugar and noodles. More nutrition for your dollar and Dahl (lentils) is yummy and nutritious. And if you have $1 left, spend it on dried chilli or curry powder to spice up the Dahl.
    And powdered milk instead of fresh - you should get more and it won't go off.
    I would also try to see if you could squeeze a few onions or carrots (or other cheap seasonal veggies) in there too.
  • mrsvampette
    mrsvampette Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Coupons really help when your strapped for cash. Also as a previous poster said the 99 cent store sells produce and other things. I shop at the 99 cent store for my groceries every once in a while and have not been disappointed yet. Also, if you go the couponing route, there's a website that helps couponers its called: thekrazycouponlady.com Theres guidelines and things under the beginners tab. Hope this helps a little bit.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have to ask. What kind of instant noodles are you buying that cost $6 for a 24 pack?

The only 24 packs of noodles around here are Ramen Noodles and you can get them for $1.50 for 24. So I'm curious.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think I'd get rice, lentils and frozen veg instead of the bread, sugar and noodles. More nutrition for your dollar and Dahl (lentils) is yummy and nutritious. And if you have $1 left, spend it on dried chilli or curry powder to spice up the Dahl.
    And powdered milk instead of fresh - you should get more and it won't go off.
    I would also try to see if you could squeeze a few onions or carrots (or other cheap seasonal veggies) in there too.

Those are really great suggestions.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    2 tins of slim fast for £10 = 2 weeks of breakfasts and lunches. then frozen cheap bulk buy vegetables, chicken and fish for main meals (about another tenner from cheap freezer shops) then of course got to buy shampoo, washing up liquid and erm.. lady stuff! .. get them from £1 store - some items last longer than 2 weeks like bleach, soap so don't have to buy them every time.

Not sure if your in US or UK, but if you have fish or meat markets and go towards the end of the day when they are trying to get rid of last lots, sometimes they bring prices down to get rid of stuff before they shut stall (next days is fresh again) so sometimes can get treat like some mince or something you can't usually afford to do spag bol mix or shepherds pie and freeze half.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Is there a market near you? I can get a week's worth of veg for two for £7 which can make up 90% of all your meals healthily. Just use meat as a garnish. Look at catering packs of pasta and rice. For protein, get dried pulses, but make sure you soak and boil them long enough. I do use the 99p store, but mainly for household good like toiletries, toilet paper and cleaning products, saving money for better quality food.
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I'm heading to bed so I'll reply in the morning (thanks for the suggestions everyone) but the items on my list are basically the very, very cheapest I can get them in my area.

This also sounds sad but I want the sack of sugar because it's a cheap source of calories. I can mix it with water and drink that, when push comes to shove. Unfortunately I don't think $12 worth of vegetables and fruit can last me an entire month like a sack of sugar can.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion on getting rice (no name/generic, NOT minute rice), lentils and frozen veg- you can get dried lentils and beans for way cheaper than the canned stuff, and all you have to do is soak it overnight.

Also, $12 for granulated sugar? I think you could get it at a dollar store for much much cheaper. And use the savings to buy no name (or whatever is on sale) frozen or canned tuna or veggies, just to fill you up a bit more. Work out the price and see if you can make your own "instant" noodles from some ramen noodles (you can get some in asian shops for mega cheap, but other grocery stores have them too), some dried mushrooms and 1/4 of a vegetable broth cube- its a touch more work, but I think it could be cheaper in the end. Is there a pantry close by you that you can go to? When I was in university I survived on very little, but I was lucky to have my dad drop off a box of groceries a month, if I didn't have him, I would have went to the food bank.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I can relate. I have been able to manage though. We have gone to the food pantry...I can always count on them having beans and rice and sometimes fresh potatoes and onions. now this being said I am a legume addict. lol I will eat any bean at any time...It is sustaining food though with rice it is a whole protein. Even the canned beans if you soak them in some warm water first for a few minutes and rinse them a few times it takes a lot of the sodium content out and they taste fine.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to add things up properly, but I'd do peanut butter, eggs, rice, dry beans, and since I live in south FL I can get fresh local produce all the time so I would shop weekly for fruits and vegetables.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Can you grow anything? If possible grow as many veggies as you can.