Buying groceries when hovering around poverty level...

Options

Replies

• beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm a student nurse so I constantly have no money. Make friends with your local butcher would be my advice, then he'll give you extra things! Same goes for the greengrocer! My butcher trims down everything for me and then weighs it, so I'm not paying for fat I won't use. Things like that make a huge difference! I don't know what it's like in the US mind, so it might not be too much help, but going to independent shops and to the market save me so much!

Edit: it means I spend about £35 a month on food, which is pretty good I think :) and it's all yummy!
  • simplymily
    Options
    I agree with what rennaconnor said. There's a lot of spanish/and chinesse grocery stores in my area with extremely low prices for fruits and veggies when we are short we usually go to these grocery stores for fresh produce.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I purchase some things in bulk--lentils--which are very filling and full of fiber...as well as oatmeal and couscous. Couscous can be used as a savory item or a sweet item and it only takes literally 5 minutes to cook. At the whole foods, a pound of organic lentils is 1.19 a pound, organic oatmeal is 99 a pound and the couscous is 1.27 a pound. Each of the items I mentioned are loose and you can easily get several pounds of each and spend less than 5.00 on each. I generally spend about 3.00 on each of them. Because the couscous and lentils are so versatile, you can revamp them in so many ways to get different types of meals. Hope this helps
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    this website is awesome. it got myself and my kids through nursing school on a shoestring budget while being well fed.
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
  • simplymily
    Options
    When my parents weren't doing well they used to go to dollar store for sugar, bread things like that but check the expiration date before buying. Maybe you can check your local dollar store? We have to in the area that sells food but not anything that needs to be refrigerated.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't happen to have a receipt with me (i usually keep one in my purse on my food shopping weeks), but I can feed my family of 4 for about that price per week..... under that assumption, one person for a month would work out about the same. I spend about $60 per shopping trip, but choose cuts of chicken over peanut butter since we're a peanut free household and often pick wheat or corn tortillas over bread since you get more and you can still made a sandwhich on them. Meat can go a long way especially if it's made into soup. Even broth with meat in it can last for a long while or be frozen and can be cooked in a crock pot to save on cooking time. I also don't use sugar or coffee or milk unless I want to. I'm lactose intolerant so the milk I have to purchase is twice as expensive as regular milk. I would suggest since your list mentioned buying full fat milk, when if you have any extra money or could get friends/family to spare a few $$$, you could get milk and freeze it in the plastic jug. I did this for years when my kids were on WIC and I got milk every month. Then when it thawed, I would split the whole milk into two jugs and cut it with water to be more like 1% milk and to last longer.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We are lucky to not be in the position but we don't spend a lot on food anyway. we eat a lot of rice, dried beans, and frozen veggies. We get huge 20 lb bags of rice at costco (which, granted, charges an annual membership fee) for ... i dunno, really cheap per pound. much cheaper than the supermarket. and big bags of frozen chicken. I think it's hard living on a tight budget because you can't afford the initial outlay on giant bulk quantities of things... but i think i'd definitely go with the frozen veggies and rice over packaged noodles, just health-wise.
    In the summer, we have a garden and grow most of our own veggies. Don't know how feasible that is for your location or your work situation because it's a time commitment but we save a TON of money in the summer just growing our own veggies.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Dried beans and rice can replace your ramen noodles for about the same cost but TONS more nutritional value. My family of 4 can eat TWICE on a pot of redbeans that costs about $2.50 when you include the rice and the bellpepper and onion used for seasoning.
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    https://www.foodbank.bc.ca/receiving-food

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/carnegiecentre/kitchen.htm

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/gatheringplace/

Finding inexpensive groceries in Canada is tough and I hear Vancouver is a very expensive city. Here are some resources I found in your area that you could try.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    While my budget isn't $50/month, it is $150-$200 - pretty low for a nutrition-conscious home for two adults. For that money, I get loads of fresh produce, enough fresh meats and seafood, milk, cheese, yogurt, and so much "processed" foods that I end up donating a lot. I do it with coupons and sales. When I go to the store save for a few items, I only buy produce, meat, and seafood that is on sale which saves me 30-50%. Then with dairy and processed foods, I try to only buy them when they are on sale AND I have a coupon, usually saving me 50-90%. For instance, the receipt in my wallet from a recent trip shows:

2 bags mixed salad greens - $2.25 (buy one, get one free)
    3 lbs red grapes - $4.35 (40% off)
    2 onions - $1.12 (not on sale)
    2 heads garlic - $.89 (not on sale)
    3 lbs brussel sprouts - $4.50 (30% off)
    1 bunch of asparagus $1.99 (30% off)
    3 lbs zucchini $2.98 (40% off)
    2 - 5 lb bags apples $3.98 (buy one get one free)
    4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts $8.74 (50% off)
    .5 lb fresh salmon $2.98 (30% off)
    12 boxes whole grain pasta - 12 cents per box - $1.44 (buy one get one free + coupon)
    4 canisters of roasted almonds - 65 cents per can - $2.60 (buy one get one free + coupon)
    3 - 1/2 gallons of organic milk - $1.25 each - $3.75 (30% off + store coupon + mfr coupon)
    3 chobani yogurts - $4.00 (not on sale)
    5 protein bars - $1.25 (buy one get one free + coupons)

This was about $50 after tax and such and is a pretty typical run for me. It takes awhile to get to the point that you can shop like this and still have enought food on hand to make a meal with it - but remember, the pasta in this run will probably last us 6 months since we don't eat it very often, and the same with the almonds (more like 3 months for those). The chicken will be frozen and used for the next month. My pantry already had enough super-cheap popcorn, canned fruits and veggies, pasta sauces, crackers, pickles, peanuts, walnuts, etc, etc. that I didn't need to worry about buying those things. And the freezer is crammed full of great deals on frozen veggies, stir-fries, whole chickens, pork tenderloin roasts, ground beef, steaks, etc. that we have a good variety of proteins and veggies to pull from as well. There's a lot of talk about coupons only being for junk food, but it's not the case. True, it can be tempting to get a ton of oreos for $.25 each or pop-tarts for $.30 each, but we just don't let ourselves. Well, ok, we'd get a pack of oreos at that price - but we'd make them last for a couple months!! lol!

If you're interested in learning more about this way of shopping, check out www.krazycouponlady.com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, except as a fan :-)
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I don't know where you are located so..

Contact churches and food banks for assistance. See if they have something.

IF you are at poverty level there should be some sort of assistance that you qualify for.

Find a part time job that you can make a little bit of extra grocery money. (Baby sitting, dog walking etc)

Buy dried beans instead of bread. Better carbs than white bread.

Do you have dollar stores?

Eat at soup kitchens one meal a day. Seriously they are there for a reason. I volunteered there when I was super broke so I could eat a hot, free meal.

https://www.foodbank.bc.ca/programs
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are in the US, but do you have an ALDI grocery store in your area! Great prices on food and produce as well! Good luck to you!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think I'd get rice, lentils and frozen veg instead of the bread, sugar and noodles. More nutrition for your dollar and Dahl (lentils) is yummy and nutritious. And if you have $1 left, spend it on dried chilli or curry powder to spice up the Dahl.
    And powdered milk instead of fresh - you should get more and it won't go off.
    I would also try to see if you could squeeze a few onions or carrots (or other cheap seasonal veggies) in there too.

This. If there a food bank/pantry near by? More maybe a church that provides food services for the poor? How about government assistance? You have to utilize your resources, ALL your resources. If you have no idea where to start, the librarians at the library should be able to point you in the right direction.

The sack of sugar, while an interesting idea is not going to cut it. It is not going to fill you up. You will be hungry all the time not to mention you'll be miserable from all the sugar highs and lows your body will do through. If you are at the poverty level I'd assume you are already struggling emotionally. Sugar is only going to make that worse. Trust me.

There are basically three things you need to sustain yourself: Rice, Beans, and water. Rice and beans together are not only a protein, but they are also a complete carb. Not to mention, they are very very filling. You can get a bag of dried beans for $1-$2. Make the whole bag using water, onion, and salt and you'll be good to go. Oatmeal is also good for this purpose.

Also, I'd buy a sack of flour and make my own bread. Having flour in the house means you can make a myriad of other things as well. Eggs are also a great idea. They are cheap, and they are a quick source of both fat and protein. You need both in order to survive.

Finally, you really do need to get some veggies in some how. You need those vitamins and minerals to survive. A sack of onions is pretty inexpensive. Cabbage is usually pretty cheap as well. Fruit is a bit more difficult, but if you can find a sack of apples on sale it will keep in the fridge for weeks without going bad.

You might also rethink the coffee. Coffee is a luxury, though our addictions make us think otherwise. The same goes for smoking and drinking if you do either of those. They are not necessities, period. They do not sustain life.

So, my list would look like this:

$5 A few bags of dried beans.
    $6 A big sack of rice
    $6 A few dozen eggs
    $4 A box of oatmeal
    $4 A sack of flour
    $2 A couple small heads of cabbage
    $3 A sack of onions
    $5 A few sacks of frozen veggies or canned veggies ( which ever is the better deal)
    $5 A sack of apples (optional)

That's about $40. Do what you will with what is left. I might add in a whole chicken if I can find one on sale. That will give me more protein, and I can use the carcass to make a stock to add a bit more flavor to my beans or cabbage.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My question is... why don't you buy things that have better nutrition value?
    Sugar? Coffee? To me these things are a luxury and would be the first things gone.

Maybe I see it a bit differently but If I only had $50 to spend I would buy the cheapest yet most healthy things I could.
    Like dried beans, rice, eggs, a whole chicken or chicken legs, an onion, carrots, celery, pasta, tomato sauce, ww bread, oatmeal, fresh or frozen fruit on sale

With the things above I could make:

roasted chicken legs with rice
    beans and rice
    eggs and toast
    chicken noodle soup
    pasta with tomato sauce
    oatmeal with fruit
    bean and rice soup
    faux fried rice - leftover rice with carrot, onion, with a couple eggs mixed in.

The meals above might not be the most exciting but they are filling and nutritious... and if you don't have a lot of money the last thing you need is medical problems to add the the stresses of life.

Cheers!
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you have a produce market somewhere near you, I can usually get $15 to stretch for two weeks. Basics .44 for a bag of carrots, .98 for celery, 1.99 for a 3lb bag of onions. If I buy a pre-roasted chicken for $3.98 from walmart, I can usually get a pot of soup, a pot pie and chicken salad sandwiches out of it. I think variety is the key. Maybe finding ways to alternate your shopping so that you get minimal amount of produce. If you can't do that, I would find a way to get a good solid multivitamin (one bottle of mine is $9 but lasts two months) to at least ensure that you get nutrient minimums. Also, it's fairly cheap to grow small kitchen herb plants like basil, chives, parsley, etc.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are in the US, but do you have an ALDI grocery store in your area! Great prices on food and produce as well! Good luck to you!

Aldi is fantastic!!!
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is this serious? or just one of those 'how would you do it' posts? Just never ceases to amaze me that people say they are poor yet seem to be able to afford the internet/phones etc.
    I am guessing it's a 'how would you do it'?

This - why choose sugar over food - the cost of sugar would buy alot of beans. Sugar water may taste good but it is not going to fill you up.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    I am a single mom and live below poverty level according to my state I do recieve assistance with food but i do use coupons alot the other day i had 100 dollars worth of food in my cart and spent only 25 dollars and my part of the state doesn't double the coupons we have learned if it is not on sale and we don't have a coupon for it we don't get it. so keep trying you can make it.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    A lot of people mention lentils. Had some
    for dinner last night with some white rice,
    and a slice of meatloaf.

This is the recipe I came up with, you can
    add or subtract flavors.

1- Small onion diced
    2- Cloves garlic finely chopped
    3- Tablespoons Olive oil
    1- 1/2 Cup Lentils (rinsed and drained)
    4- Cups water
    1- 14.5 oz. Can Del Monte diced tomatoes (Zesty Mild Green Chilies)
    2- Bay leaves
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil, then add all ingredients. Return to a slow steady boil.
    Tightly cover and simmer over med-low heat for around 45 minutes. (Stir occasionally)
    Best if you let the lentils sit on low heat for another 20 mins, and let the lentils thicken up,
    Giving them a stir once in a while. Remember to pull out the bay leaves.

Serves - 6

Calories - 160

Carbs - 25

Fat - 7

Protein - 11

Sodium - 258

Sugar - 5

Remember: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pndel4GrThw

***Added nutritional value from my recipe on MFP***