Weight lifting for women

Options

Replies

• SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere

this
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    I am trying to get into weight lifting but not sure what I should be doing...reps...etc....does anyone have a routine they follow...
    and would like to share??? I have been doing a little mostly bicep curls...not even sure what equipment to be using...I do have access to the gym...hope you can help

Youtube jennifer nicole lee work outs, she is a fitness model and has some awesome workouts!! Also get a subscription for Fitness RX for her. It's none of the chit chat and fashion crap that is in shape or other womens fitness mags, which I do like but when I want good info on workouts that is the mag of my choice. It has great supplement info as well.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have NROLFM and I've studied other routines as well. I have devised a fairly comprehensive set of workouts that will fit into my very tight schedule. 1 hour total each night.

Monday - abs/chest, running for cardio
    Tuesday - zumba
    Wednesday - legs/glutes
    Thursday - spinning
    Friday - arms/back, running for cardio
    Saturday - Either tabata intervals or WoD (crossfit)
    Sunday - off

My plan has evolved (and continues to evolve) based on my children's schedules and my free time/needs/wants.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    saving this to read later :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere

^I second that.
  • cassblue21
    Options
    I have the Sculpting Her Body Perfect book that I got on Amazon for $5. It is AMAZING! I am loving it! Gives you several workouts for each area and helps to guide you really well. My sister has been doing it for about 6 months now and there is a total change in her physique. I am noticing mine change now as well. I have been doing it for about 3 1/2 months now. :) I hope you find something you love and it helps! :D
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Monday-Leg day
    Tuesday-Back and Bis
    Wednesday-Plyo, Full Body
    Thursday-Chest and Tris
    Friday-Cardio
    Saturday-Legs or whatever I need/slacked on
    Sunday-Rest

I do cardio 60 mins 6 days per week as well. I am also training for my first show. :-)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Personal Trainer!!!!!!

New rules of wt lifting for women
    Oxygen/fitness/ magazines
    If you belong to a gym, ask for advise

When you do your research, search on you tube for video instructions of each exercise to get the form correct
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I saw this web sight on here a few days ago, maybe it would help!

Good luck!

Thanks for this!!!
  • trudibus
    Options

Thanks!!!
  • Look up LesMills.com and find a Bodypump class at a gym near you. I'm a guy and lost 19 lbs doing it (with MFP) but lots of women take it - in fact the majority. Now I teach it. It's a barbell weightlifting and cardio class that targets each muscle group, helping you build strong, lean muscle and burn up to 560 calories. It's offered in many gyms throughout the world. Check it out!!

I strongly agree! I do this class twice a week and have lowered my BF% from 28% to 24%!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and I really like it. Cheap investment, and easy to follow along if you have access to a gym or a decent set of weights at home.

LesMills BodyPump classes are also a great way to learn form and get used to weight lifting if you're a beginner. Just go to lesmills.com and search for classes in your area.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i have a dumbell tree in my bedroom, soo when i wake up in the mornings i do:

- 10 squats with weights in each hand.
    - 10 ab crunches with weights in each hand and punching out to the side as i bring my back up off the floor.
    - 20 boxing punches with weights in each hand.

doesnt seem like alot, but it does work up a sweat!

and when i go to the gym, i tend to spend quite alot of time in the corner of the room where all the weights are kept and i lift all diffferent sized weights starting from the lighest.. im getting bettter!! :D i could never lift hardly anything heavy up! now i can :)

thats all the weight lifting i do. and i can defo see a definition in both my arms! :smile:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

^I second that.

^3rd
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been doing kettlebells. I have a class 4 times a week and it's only half an hour so not too much of a time commitment but I could tell a difference in just a few weeks. I also took a Bodypump class that was great. I would also recommend a trainer just to get you started. My old gym offered one free week of training when you signed up.

I'm gonna have to check out this book everyone is talking about!