DITTO!
  • gloria84
    gloria84 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and hard! Newest research is showing that females that are doing this are getting better results than those that are doing endless reps and sets with light weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Look up LesMills.com and find a Bodypump class at a gym near you. I'm a guy and lost 19 lbs doing it (with MFP) but lots of women take it - in fact the majority. Now I teach it. It's a barbell weightlifting and cardio class that targets each muscle group, helping you build strong, lean muscle and burn up to 560 calories. It's offered in many gyms throughout the world. Check it out!!

I was also going to suggest this class..took it this morning in fact! =) Fastest way to get in shape. I'm in <3 with Body Pump!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A very timely thread since I just read some recent studies that say weight training for breast cancer survivors most likely doesn't cause lymphedema as originally believed. Yeah!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Not saying this is right or wrong..but I do and I have gotten pretty far.
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There's different types of muscle growth. How you lift stimulates your muscles in different ways. If what you want is toned, dense, strong muscles then lift heavy and short of failure. You should be lifting heavy enough that you don't have to worry about tempo. The weight should be controlling the tempo.

One rule of thumb I have followed when strength training is lifting all I can do for 3 sets of 3-5 if I can do 3 sets of 5 it's time to up the weight.

Good stuff at the following link but for now scroll down to number 10:

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Training
    Not saying this is right or wrong..but I do and I have gotten pretty far.

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options

^I second that.
    ^^^this
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    Lift heavy! No need to spend hours in the gym going through all kinds of different lifts...squat, deadlift, press, bench, barbell row or power clean if you have had proper training.

Find a good POWER LIFTING or OLYMPIC LIFTING gym and get some instruction on proper technique on these lifts.

If you have a crossfit gym in your area with a lifting coach I would see about training there first.

Watch videos from Mark Rippetoe, Mike Burgener, Louie Simmons, Greg Everett.

I always reccommend Strong Lifts 5x5 to new female lifters because you can start light (just the bar) and put on muscle and strength relatively quickly without sacraficing form.

Like the other girls said, don't waste your time doing high reps with light weight! Lift heavy, low reps and get the training done first!!
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through everything and since I just started lifting I am NO expert....but we have a trainer (and a gym - for free!) at work....I have been in there 5 days a week for a year....so I just walked up to him and told him I want to start lifting heavy....He put together a workout for me....I LOVE it....first time through he walked it with me to check my form...and he's always in there when I am if I need him....but I do a foam roll and running warm up (3-5 min) to start...then two sets through of some core exercises....then HEAVY weights (bench, squats, rows, etc) with some cardio lifing type after each....I RUN on a regular basis but I feel asthmatic during my workout (in a good way, I LOVE it)....It is challenging, empowering, and I just love it! I would get with a trainer if you can - at least to get you set up. I have seen that book suggested alot around here too, so much I may check it out :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! No need to spend hours in the gym going through all kinds of different lifts...squat, deadlift, press, bench, barbell row or power clean if you have had proper training.

Find a good POWER LIFTING or OLYMPIC LIFTING gym and get some instruction on proper technique on these lifts.

If you have a crossfit gym in your area with a lifting coach I would see about training there first.

Watch videos from Mark Rippetoe, Mike Burgener, Louie Simmons, Greg Everett.

I always reccommend Strong Lifts 5x5 to new female lifters because you can start light (just the bar) and put on muscle and strength relatively quickly without sacraficing form.

Like the other girls said, don't waste your time doing high reps with light weight! Lift heavy, low reps and get the training done first!!

+1

I can't believe there's only 2 suggestions in here to check out Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts.

Geez.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Jamie Eason Live Fit program...
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I think when I'm done with NROL4W, I'm going to do stronglifts.

So, it isn't that one is BETTER than the other. It's just that you have to change things up to see continuing progression and NROL4W has pretty good instruction for beginners, plus the program gets you through nearly 6 months of weight-training.

That's pretty good.
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bump
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump and Body Combat. I get my weight training with Body Pump and my cardio with Body Combat and it is so addicting. Not going to a class never crosses my mind. The music is great, the atmosphere is awesome and you see results. The only issue I have is figuring out how to input body pump and body combat into my exercise tracker...lol

Another fan of BodyPump (and BodyCombat too) they're addictive and (I hope I'm not the only one to do this!) if I'm struggling I just try and forget the moves and sing the track to myself, lol. Its a great class though, really recommended!
    Seems to be a difficult one to log though (with some people showing 600kcal burned, and some only 200) so just ordered a HRM to get it more accurate x
  • marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    bump.. great stuff! Thank you all for sharing!